PDA

View Full Version : Early arrivals to CM2014

Burt88
04-09-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm gonna be arriving in Moab on Sunday or early Monday. Is anyone else gonna be arriving early as well and would anyone like to hit some moderate trails Monday and Tuesday before CM begins? I'm thinking about some relatively low impact trails to limit any breakage potential before I hit the hard stuff before the main event.

baja1d
04-09-2014, 06:20 PM
We'll be arriving Sunday as well & our plan is arches & fins

Burt88
04-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Cool, I'll be at slickrock site 51.

ColoCruiserJeff
04-10-2014, 09:04 PM
I may be able to sneak away from work and come out to CM14....but it'll be in my wife's Jeep :)

May have to remove the grille and put on a proper bezel!

Rzeppa
04-11-2014, 11:41 PM
I'm gonna be arriving in Moab on Sunday or early Monday. Is anyone else gonna be arriving early as well and would anyone like to hit some moderate trails Monday and Tuesday before CM begins? I'm thinking about some relatively low impact trails to limit any breakage potential before I hit the hard stuff before the main event.

For years and years, I did the Sunday-to-Sunday schedule for Cruise Moab. Monday and Tuesday were preruns and just plain running trails outside the event. Sometimes we'd have preruns with enough rigs we shoulda' pulled permits.

Other years I remember pulling in to Slickrock on Tuesday afternoon (my recent paradigm) and witnessing all the repairs going on in camp for the carnage inflicted before the actual event began. For my own part, I've broken several times and required Slickrock repairs before Cruise Moab even begins. (POISON SPIDER MESA I HATE YOU!). But there is no better place to break stuff than Cruise Moab. There will be 350 of your closest friends you haven't met yet with the parts, tools and expertise to get you back on the trail, and more importantly if you aren't towing, back home again.

The last couple years I've gone back to my early roots of just rolling in on Tuesday afternoon and leaving Sunday morning. The Sunday to Sunday schedule always makes me homesick by around Friday or so.

Rzeppa
04-11-2014, 11:43 PM
We'll be arriving Sunday as well & our plan is arches & fins

Pritchett and Behind the Rocks hehehehe

Burt88
04-13-2014, 06:54 PM
In 2012 I arrived early and ran a few trails with the Gotham State crew. We did Hells Gate that time around but I don't intend to do anything too extreme this time, prior to the actual event. I was thinking maybe running Top of the World and maybe a couple other trails that aren't on the event list. More of a casual sightseeing type of thing. Arches sounds like a good run too. I'm signed up for the Fins night run so I might do that before the event to get acquainted with the trail.

rhyary
04-25-2014, 01:03 PM
I will be doing White Rim Sunday and Monday

rhyary
04-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Probably Chicken Corner Saturday to warm up

Cocarlisle
04-25-2014, 09:34 PM
I love the white rim
I haven't been on it in about 12 years
Did you have to pull a permit for that

Rzeppa
04-25-2014, 10:41 PM
I love the white rim
I haven't been on it in about 12 years
Did you have to pull a permit for that

Most public land around there unless it is protected otherwise, the rule for having to pull a permit is 10 or more rigs.

Burt88
04-26-2014, 07:56 AM
From what I understand, for the white rim trail you still need a parks pass. That's all, or don't get caught.

Cocarlisle
04-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Maybe it was dirt bikes need a permit
I just remember something about a permit
I want to run the rim again regardless

Have fun!

Burt88
04-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Looks like I'll be arriving late monday instead of early. Gotta take care of a few things on the truck before I drive down. Overall, I'd say she held up amazingly well after 35+ hours of vibrating down the interstate with a heavy load against the wind. Ran the hell out of that 3fe.

teamextreme
04-27-2014, 06:07 PM
From what I understand, you need a permit for WRT if you plan on taking longer than a day to travel it, and camping on the trail. All the MTBers need permits because it takes them longer than a day (except for a very select few animals that can do it in a day).

Cocarlisle
04-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Ok that makes sense
I'm excited to get to Moab
More so than the dozens of times I have been there on my motorcycles
My son and I loaded up majority of the items tonight
We will be leaving Denver Tuesday evening around 6 and will push to Fruita and then arrive Wednesday morning in Moab

nakman
04-27-2014, 10:08 PM
We'll be about 6 hours behind you Jason- leaving Wednesday at 08:00, hope to get to Slickrock by 2 or so.

p.s. Rami I called out a few times on the radio yesterday, never did hear ya. hope your travels are going well!

baja1d
04-28-2014, 08:10 AM
We're here... Nothing like waking up in Moab! Arches today, fins tomorrow. PM me if you'd like to join us

JadeRunner
04-28-2014, 08:42 AM
How are the cotton and worms at SR doing? I will roll in Tues. early evening.

DaveInDenver
04-28-2014, 09:07 AM
From what I understand, you need a permit for WRT if you plan on taking longer than a day to travel it, and camping on the trail. All the MTBers need permits because it takes them longer than a day (except for a very select few animals that can do it in a day).
You need a Parks pass just to ride/drive the WRT and a permit if you camp. Sometimes you can get lucky when you walk into the Backcountry Office and get a permit, but you usually need to reserve one ahead of time. The permit is technically just for the camp sites since there are only a handful of designated camps and they are limited in group size.

A bunch of people just did White Rim in a day on MTBs a couple of weeks ago. It's a long day and most of the time you do need to arrange a SAG but a few people can do it completely self supported in a day. Those guys are the true freaks of nature.

rover67
04-28-2014, 09:53 AM
If you're planning WRT, make sure you have your documents in order. There ALWAYS seem to be rangers checking out there. Also watch your speed.... they don't like speeders.

Inukshuk
04-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Leaving Denver soon. Will be monitoring the Connection.

And, just heard that I-70 is closed at Vail Pass for accidents, BUT its closed Eastbound and I'm heading west!

BritKLR
04-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Have a great time!!

NYCO
04-28-2014, 12:42 PM
If you're planning WRT, make sure you have your documents in order. There ALWAYS seem to be rangers checking out there. Also watch your speed.... they don't like speeders.

checking for overnight permits? or during the day they are stopping people?

i was thinking of poking around back there, not hiking or camping, but i'll have a couple furry ones with me

Rzeppa
04-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Leaving Denver soon. Will be monitoring the Connection.

And, just heard that I-70 is closed at Vail Pass for accidents, BUT its closed Eastbound and I'm heading west!

Didn't you get caught in traffic due to snow on the passes on the way out last year?

rover67
04-28-2014, 07:29 PM
checking for overnight permits? or during the day they are stopping people?

i was thinking of poking around back there, not hiking or camping, but i'll have a couple furry ones with me

They go group to group back there just seeing what you're up to. If you're going nice and slow (I think the speed limit is 15mph which can be brutal sometimes) they will wave and smile. If you give them any reason to be agro they'll stop and hassle you.

I personally wouldn't chance it with the animals..... thats the kind of stuff they look for.

nattybumppo
04-28-2014, 09:03 PM
Made it to moab. A little slush on the passes, just enough to make my wipers fail...but they fixed themselves after a while and some cussing.

nattybumppo
04-28-2014, 09:07 PM
How are the cotton and worms at SR doing? I will roll in Tues. early evening.

There is just a hint of cotton in the air, more to come later in the week I'M SURE.

MicahMan
04-29-2014, 12:36 AM
Almost ready to head out. Food for the swell all packed.

Hulk
04-29-2014, 07:40 PM
What's the weather like out in Moab? Is it cold?

baja1d
04-29-2014, 09:22 PM
What's the weather like out in Moab? Is it cold?

Windy but it's suppose to stop soon

PabloCruise
04-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Windy but it's suppose to stop soon

I hope so, it is crazy windy here. Since Sunday... :mad: :rant:

Mac142
04-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Weather is nice but cool and windy, here are a couple of pics from Flat Iron Mesa today.

PabloCruise
05-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Nothing like a quick radiator change in the Glenwood Springs NAPA parking lot to get you ready for Moab!