PDA

View Full Version : Flat towing an FJ40 to Moab - good or bad idea

Bruiser
04-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Since my wife sone and I are all headed to Moab next week but we don't have a trailer, I got the bright idea of flat towing the 40 behind my V8 dodge dakota. I figureed that I may even drive the 40 part of the way, maybe to Vail and tow it the rest.

After hooking up the 40 I discovered teh wheels jack knife to the right when I turn left and vice versa when I turn right. After dowing some reading it seems it could be a number of things including caster, toe-in, loose steerign in general. I did not lock the steering wheel in place although it seems like some people do. By the way, my 40 has a 3 inch lift, 33 inch tire and a SBC.

My question is really not about fixing the problem although I would love to hear any thoughts you all have. My question is whether it is a good idea or not. Seems like I read mixed reviews on the web. I just figured it could not be that bad becasue I see motor homes do it all the time.

Any thoughts or experiences you all have would be helpful.

Justin

MDH33
04-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Don't do it.

If you're having issues with it tracking properly, you are taking a huge huge risk. Either rent a tow dolly or drive two vehicles. I drove my 40 on 34's to Moab for many years and loved it. Also, what is the weight capacity of your truck? Seems like a Dakota might be on the small size for towing a vehicle.

Just my 2 :twocents:

See you at Cruise Moab!

SteveH
04-23-2014, 09:26 AM
I would dolly tow it or get a bigger truck and trailer it. If you dolly tow it (rear wheels on the ground), it might be a good idea to remove the rear drive shaft. With the mods to your truck, I would be very wary of flat towing.

Bruiser
04-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Don't do it.

If you're having issues with it tracking properly, you are taking a huge huge risk. Either rent a tow dolly or drive two vehicles. I drove my 40 on 34's to Moab for many years and loved it. Also, what is the weight capacity of your truck? Seems like a Dakota might be on the small size for towing a vehicle.

Just my 2 :twocents:

See you at Cruise Moab!

That was my fear.

I thought the weight of an fj40 (soft top) was around 3,300. My Dakota can pull 4750. So, I thoguht the 40 on a trailer would be too much but on a dolly or flat towing would be fine. I could drive it on the hard parts past the tunnel or into Vail but wanted to try to keep my wife from having to drive the truck the whole way by herself with out 2 yr old son.

MDH33
04-23-2014, 10:27 AM
If it's not tracking, I wouldn't try flat towing it at all, let alone along I70. Please come up with another option.

This freaks me out. I have personal experience with flat towing a 40 that didn't track well and was too big for the tow vehicle. Luckily no one died!

Bruiser
04-23-2014, 10:32 AM
If it's not tracking, I wouldn't try flat towing it at all, let alone along I70. Please come up with another option.

This freaks me out. I have personal experience with flat towing a 40 that didn't track well and was too big for the tow vehicle. Luckily no one died!

Yep, I am not going to flat tow it. I will either get a dolly or drive it myself.

Justin

Corbet
04-23-2014, 11:52 AM
I've flat towed my 40 behind a Suburban and my 80 Series but it tracked properly without issue. Rent a tow dolly or just drive it. Don't risk your family's life to save a few bucks.

Shark Bait
04-23-2014, 03:50 PM
I did it one time, towing my orange FJ40 with my 80. Wouldn't to it again. :eek:

baileyfj40
04-23-2014, 07:50 PM
I thought of flat towing my 40 for a short time but it would decided not to and went and bought a suitable size trailer. A Dodge Dakota IS NOT a safe tow vehicle for a 40. I won't even do it behind a F350. Its braking.

My .02

Cocarlisle
04-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Uhaul will rent tow Dolly's that work OK for about $40 a day
Might not work with those big tires though

Bruiser
04-23-2014, 08:15 PM
I was planning on putting my 33 10.5 AT's on for towing. I will have to call them to see if that will work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Shotshell
04-23-2014, 08:41 PM
I towed my Tacoma up here from Texas on a U-Haul car hauler behind the U-haul truck. The front straps that came with the hauler were not long enough to go over my 30" tires. I had to use my own wide ratchet straps to hold it down. And they kept slipping off. Just something to think about.

Cocarlisle
04-25-2014, 12:31 AM
I towed my 40 with 30x10.5 and it worked for those with a little room to spare but not much

Bruiser
05-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice. Just thought I would let you know the dolly worked great. I did have to air my 33 inch tires way down to get the straps to fit over the front wheels but that certainly was not a big deal.

My Dakota 4.7 quad cab pulled it fine and was only really challenged on the 6% grades. But it was easy enough to tuck in behind a semi.

Again, thanks for everyone's advice.

Justin

Cocarlisle
05-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Good to hear it worked