PDA

View Full Version : Little Toyota/GM History

akingf5371
04-23-2014, 08:58 AM
I listen to the This American Life podcast on a regular basis. I came across this one which I thought my fellow Toyota enthusiasts might find as interesting as I did.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/403/nummi

In summary: A car plant in Fremont California that might have saved the U.S. car industry. In 1984, General Motors and Toyota opened NUMMI as a joint venture. Toyota showed GM the secrets of its production system: How it made cars of much higher quality and much lower cost than GM achieved. Frank Langfitt explains why GM didn't learn the lessons—until it was too late.

Originally broadcast: Mar 26, 2010

This explains why so many of our Toyotas are still on the road while the older American made cars/trucks aren't. Pretty interesting.

jps8460
04-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Nice! I deal in the Toyota production system ever day. If you're interested check "out of the crisis" by Deming. And see where Japan learned about manufacturing. Its a boring read if you're not into manufacturing. It shows that if you take a good strategy and execute it with commitment you can really make a difference. Other good reads include "the Toyota way" all three and "Toyota kata" and "learning to see"

Japan learned from us.........they just executed with a ton more discipline

If you are not into manufacturing you will want to blow your brains out in about the first five pages..........,.so I hear.

SteveH
04-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Somewhat related:

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-toyota-texas-move-20140428,0,1494791.story#axzz30DY0LFdO

LARGEONE
04-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Nice! I deal in the Toyota production system ever day. If you're interested check "out of the crisis" by Deming. And see where Japan learned about manufacturing. Its a boring read if you're not into manufacturing. It shows that if you take a good strategy and execute it with commitment you can really make a difference. Other good reads include "the Toyota way" all three and "Toyota kata" and "learning to see"

Japan learned from us.........they just executed with a ton more discipline

If you are not into manufacturing you will want to blow your brains out in about the first five pages..........,.so I hear.

You think Out of the crisis is boring....I heard Deming speak in Atlanta before he died...now that was boring!!! :)

jps8460
04-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Ha! I found the book to be very interesting, but it's no thriller. Thats for sure!