PDA

View Full Version : A poll for Arlo...

Uncle Ben
09-14-2006, 11:11 AM
This is not a "my brand is better than your brand" thang. I believe the facts will paint the picture.... :thumb: :cheers:

subzali
09-14-2006, 11:59 AM
all of the above. When you plow into snowdrifts at 15 mph you usually need a tug to get out (at least the day me and CJ7 Matt went). Only other time we have strapped up is when he got stuck in a mud puddle and when he got dangerously vertical on a rock. If the sitiation had been switched I woulda gladly taken the strap. I am surprised that you other guys who have wheeled with Jeep buddies have never taken a strap from them when you were goofing around, but then again you guys have more capable trucks and more experience behind the wheel.

Uncle Ben
09-14-2006, 01:31 PM
all of the above. When you plow into snowdrifts at 15 mph you usually need a tug to get out (at least the day me and CJ7 Matt went). Only other time we have strapped up is when he got stuck in a mud puddle and when he got dangerously vertical on a rock. If the sitiation had been switched I woulda gladly taken the strap. I am surprised that you other guys who have wheeled with Jeep buddies have never taken a strap from them when you were goofing around, but then again you guys have more capable trucks and more experience behind the wheel.

You are right on Matt! I never said I wouldn't take a strap as I have no preferance. I have been in a couple situations, however, when I tried to help with a strap or a hook and bad attitude "brand X" guys wouldn't accept help from any "Jap junk!" I've been wheeling for a very long time and have many friends in all brands of rigs....we all bash each other heavily but we all respect each other for the driver not the brand of choice! :thumb:

wesintl
09-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Does it count if I was pulled out by a jeep in my 82 cadillac coupe de ville? :D yes this was offroading too :)

Honestly my precruiser days are blurry. I would have to see if a psychic could bring them back one day, Even including my wanting a cj7. Boy those were the days :o

I was one of the few that even with parents that didn't bring me up in a toyota world I got lucky and bought a cruiser.

I thought mindy was hot... same with daisy
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/ModelMork.jpg
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/allthingsjeep_1913_61914966

Uncle Ben
09-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Does it count if I was pulled out by a jeep in my 82 cadillac coupe de ville? :D yes this was offroading too :)

Honestly my precruiser days are blurry. I would have to see if a psychic could bring them back one day, Even including my wanting a cj7. Boy those were the days :o

I was one of the few that even with parents that didn't bring me up in a toyota world I got lucky and bought a cruiser.

My first 4x4 was a '65 CJ-5. That definately hooked me on wheeling and I had a great time except for having to gusset frame cracks 3 times, water in the master cylinder twice and several twisted driveshafts and lets not forget the stripped drive flanges on the rear countless times. Stll was a kick in the but and that little 4 cyl would idle up anything!

corsair23
09-14-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure how to vote more than once so I picked #4...

First 4x4? 1977 Subaru wagon
Moved up to a 1982 Toyota SR5 PU that I had a blast in
Then, on to a 1984 Subaru wagon (sold the Toy for flying $$ while going to school :(
Now a Durango (DD) and first the '76 FJ40 and now the '74 FJ40 which hasn't seen any dirt yet :rolleyes:

All that said, I have a scenario that doesn't fit...

Winter of '88 I think, driving up to spend a week in Steamboat skiing (stayed Oak Creek/Stagecoach actually). I'm in the built up Toy and a freind is in a VW pickup. It is snowing like mad and I end up getting my right side stuck in a drainage ditch along the road. Yeah, I was screwing around in the powder having fun :)

Anyway, I could go forward and backwards but I couldn't get the right side to grab enough to come up out of the ditch. We put a strap on the front of my Toy to the VW and with him providing some pull perpendicular to the ditch I was finally able to get out. I didn't mind the help one bit and we all got a good laugh out of the little front wheel drive VW pulling me out :lmao:

Just wish I could have returned the favor a couple days later when he skidded off the road after missing a turn on the way back. But, he was joined shortly down the embankment by a family load in a Suburban... :eek:

Convert
09-14-2006, 09:27 PM
All of the above I wheel with a varity of people in different rigs.

ArloGuthroJeep
09-15-2006, 03:48 PM
I originally said I haven't been pulled out by a Cruiser but after I voted I remembered that a couple months ago I was winched up the wall @ Spring Creek by a half XJ half 80's Toyota pickup. (Guy from my club transfered an XJ's drivetrain into a Toyota PU Frame/Body)...So that HALF counts I suppose :D

You guys need to get jobs, or jobs that keep you more busy and quit stalking me:lmao:

Honestly though I wheel fairly often (~30-35 times per year -My recent trips... (http://www.arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/)) and can only think of four times I have taken a strap. Once because I was open F&R (Spring Creek), and the other three times I was truely stuck...

Had both front wheels spinning and one rear sprinning, still not enough traction:(
http://www.arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/Spring-Creek-7-2-06/Weberized/P7020004.jpg

Rear diff sitting on a rock (slid sideways on to the rock):
http://www.arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/Spring-Creek-7-2-06/Weberized/P7020065.jpg

Whoops, tranny crossmember hung me up:D (was stock at the time:( )
http://www.arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/SlaughterHouse-Gulch-1-2-06/Weberized/Picture-064.jpg

Don't have a picture of my first "stuck" but didn't have the breakover angle to make it over a mount of dirt:hill:

So in conclusion, I don't get stuck enough for the amount I wheel:Princess:

Uncle Ben
09-15-2006, 04:43 PM
I originally said I haven't been pulled out by a Cruiser but after I voted I remembered that a couple months ago I was winched up the wall @ Spring Creek by a half XJ half 80's Toyota pickup. (Guy from my club transfered an XJ's drivetrain into a Toyota PU Frame/Body)...So that HALF counts I suppose :D

Wrong half is Toyota!

You guys need to get jobs, or jobs that keep you more busy and quit stalking me:lmao:

Sorry but can't do that...we are all independently wealthy and harrasing good and honest folk is what we do.... (believe the wealthy part and we can come up with many more stories! :rolleyes: )

<snip>

So in conclusion, I don't get stuck enough for the amount I wheel:Princess:

Can never wheel too much and trying to get stuck is what makes it fun!

Great pics BTW! :thumb: :beer: :beer: :beer: