PDA

View Full Version : Weighing In

corsair23
09-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Has anyone ever actually had their FJ40 weighed? Or, do you know where one might go to have their Cruiser weighed (preferrably on the South side, Littleton area)? I saw a post about weighing a FJ60 up North recently. I've heard some landscape yards have scales but I'm not sure about their accuracy.

I've seen a FJ40's weight listed in various forums etc. as anywhere from about 3500# to 4500#. I know the actual weight will depend on what has been done to a particular Cruiser (i.e. engine swap, tranny swap, bigger tires, bumpers, tire carriers, hardtop or soft, etc).

I'm trying to figure out whether my Durango could safely pull my FJ40 on a dolly for extended camping trips etc. I just can't see being able to fit the family and all the gear any other way. The family likes to wheel but they also like to get to the trails in comfort :rolleyes: and 4+ hours in a FJ40 for some reason doesn't appeal to them :confused:. The Durango is equipped to pull about 5900# as it sits but I like to stay less than that because, well because it is a Dodge :D.

So, anyone have any experience with weighing a FJ40 and towing with a dolly?

Thanks in advance!

wesintl
09-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Also, anyone have any experience towing with a dolly?

Yes, and anything other than an across the town tow or a stock vehicle it's FAWKING scary! Either of your trucks with a 4" lift will be a disaster waiting to happen on a dolly. Ask treeroot about towing without a diesel. Sell the 40's and get an 80 or 100 ;)

Uncle Ben
09-14-2006, 12:39 PM
I have and would do it again in a heat beat over flat towing for long distances! If you would like to experiment you can borrow my dolly and find out for yourself. The down side is you cannot back up very far at all unless you stick someone in the drivers seat of the dollyed rig and then you will still be limited. Flat towing can get scary as the towed vehicle will try to steer the tow vehicle. A vehicle on a tow dolly will follow very well and except for a stopping push you wont even feel it behind you!

Has anyone ever actually had their FJ40 weighed? Or, do you know where one might go to have their Cruiser weighed (preferrably on the South side, Littleton area)? I saw a post about weighing a FJ60 up North recently. I've heard some landscape yards have scales but I'm not sure about their accuracy.

I've seen a FJ40's weight listed in various forums etc. as anywhere from about 3500# to 4500#. I know the actual weight will depend on what has been done to a particular Cruiser (i.e. engine swap, tranny swap, bigger tires, bumpers, tire carriers, hardtop or soft, etc).

I'm trying to figure out whether my Durango could safely pull my FJ40 on a dolly for extended camping trips etc. I just can see being able to fit the family and all the gear any other way. The family likes to wheel but they also like to get to the trails in comfort :rolleyes: and 4+ hours in a FJ40 for some reason doesn't appeal to them :confused:. The Durango is equipped to pull about 5900# as it sits but I like to stay less than that because, well because it is a Dodge :D.

Also, anyone have any experience towing with a dolly?

Thanks in advance!

corsair23
09-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Yes, and anything other than an across the town tow or a stock vehicle it's FAWKING scary! Either of your trucks with a 4" lift will be a disaster waiting to happen on a dolly. Ask treeroot about towing without a diesel. Sell the 40's and get an 80 or 100 ;)

I was afraid you were going to say that...If I had it to do over I'd probably be going with an 80 but that isn't in the cards for me right now.

I was really hoping the dolly would be the answer as I don't want to flat tow and a trailer would just be too heavy. Does your answer apply to all dollys (with brakes and without?). There is a local CO company that makes dollys (http://www.americancardolly.com/) and of course the guy stated it would be no problem...A buddy of mine towed his Jeep on a dolly to Moab one year without issue but that was behind a motor home.

Why a diesel? Or were you thinking just a big truck?

So, looks like my options now may be (1) trailer behind the FJ40; (2) Bigger tow vehicle; (3) go minimal (yeah right, not with a wife and two girls :) )

:mad:...I'm never going to get on the trails at this rate

wesintl
09-14-2006, 12:52 PM
My expierence with a lifted truck on a dolly is bad. There wasn't enough tounge weight on it. Caused it to sway all over the place and luckily there was no damage or someone wasn't killed.

UB has obviously used his more than I ever have so take mine with a grain of salt.

corsair23
09-14-2006, 12:52 PM
I have and would do it again in a heat beat over flat towing for long distances! If you would like to experiment you can borrow my dolly and find out for yourself. The down side is you cannot back up very far at all unless you stick someone in the drivers seat of the dollyed rig and then you will still be limited. Flat towing can get scary as the towed vehicle will try to steer the tow vehicle. A vehicle on a tow dolly will follow very well and except for a stopping push you wont even feel it
behind you!

Thanks Kevin...
Light at the end of the tunnel? :confused:

Ok, 1 votes "Fawking" scary :eek: and another votes in a "heart beat" :)...You just have love an old fashioned debate!

Kevin, regarding backing up. I've heard about that with a flat tow but not dolly tow but makes sense. I assume in your example you towed it with the ass end up vs the front end? Is that so you didn't have to remove the rear drive shaft, so someone could steer if you needed to back up, or for weight distribution purposes? Hadn't thought about if there would be a difference.

As for the "pushing" from the towed vehicle and dolly. Is that even with brakes? I've towed a trailer (no brakes) and a pop-up camper (with brakes) and typically get little to no push.

As for your offer. I would VERY much appreciate that! I'm tired of spending $$ on stuff (I assume you've seen the stuff I've sold/been trying to sell) that I never end up using. And dropping a grand (more or less) on a dolly only to find out it won't work would definitely be a huge drag :( and might very well result in the end of my Cruiser days with the wife...She has been VERY patient with me for the last 4+ years but one can only expect so much...

I assume your dolly can handle a FJ40 with 35x12.5s (hopefully soon to be 33s)?

Thanks!!

Jeff

corsair23
09-14-2006, 12:55 PM
My expierence with a lifted truck on a dolly is bad. There wasn't enough tounge weight on it. Caused it to sway all over the place and luckily there was no damage or someone wasn't killed.

UB has obviously used his more than I ever have so take mine with a grain of salt.

Wes, all opinions are GOOD. If I do this it will be the wife, two young daughters, and me in the tow rig and getting them and me (along with others on the road) there safely is a priority! What's the fun if you never make it to the trail....which coincidentally I have yet to do with the '74...

Uncle Ben
09-14-2006, 02:22 PM
LOL....Jeff, I have no problem with debate nor do I have a problem with agreeing with someone! ;) We have towed vehicles all over the continent and like everything else towing is a matter of compromise. You have to decide what your needs are as one thing will be better in one area and worse in another. Trailers are bar none the best way to haul things! The obvious disadvantage is the overall length and huge weight gain. Dolly towing is very convenient as its a quick load and unload and it tows great but tire wear on the dolly is huge and backing up is a nightmare! Flat towing works as long as what your towing weighs less than what your towing it with and your hitch design is flat and not angled. If the towed vehicle is tall it can be spooky also as when it gets whipped around a corner it could roll if your careless.

I always dolly with the heaviest part of the towed vehicle on the dolly! Dolly's are wide and you want as much weight as you can get on the hitch. Part time Cruiser T-cases are oil bath style so the rear output bearing is lubricated just as it would be if you drove it. Tow with the T-case in neutral not the tranny!

I have hauled my 62 coast to coast on a dolly with the front wheels on the dolly and the rear drive shaft in place. Except for the weight you wont usually feel it behind you! It had 35" MTR's on it.

I'm serious, take me up on the offer and get the dolly and tow your Cruiser somewhere for the weekend! Just don't try to back it up! :rolleyes: ;)

No my dolly doesn't have brakes. If I were to buy a new one I would definately get the brake option!

Thanks Kevin...
Light at the end of the tunnel? :confused:

Ok, 1 votes "Fawking" scary :eek: and another votes in a "heart beat" :)...You just have love an old fashioned debate!

Kevin, regarding backing up. I've heard about that with a flat tow but not dolly tow but makes sense. I assume in your example you towed it with the ass end up vs the front end? Is that so you didn't have to remove the rear drive shaft of for weigh distribution purposes? Hadn't thought about if there would be a difference.

As for the "pushing" from the towed vehicle and dolly. Is that even with brakes? I've towed a trailer (no brakes) and a pop-up camper (with brakes) and typically get little to no push.

As for your offer. I would VERY much appreciate that! I'm tired of spending $$ on stuff (I assume you've seen the stuff I've sold/been trying to sell) that I never end up using. And dropping a grand (more or less) on a dolly only to find out it won't work would definitely be a huge drag :( and might very well result in the end of my Cruiser days with the wife...She has been VERY patient with me for the last 4+ years but one can only expect so much...

I assume your dolly can handle a FJ40 with 35x12.5s (hopefully soon to be 33s)?

Thanks!!

Jeff

corsair23
09-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks Kevin. I'll take you up on the offer. I'll wait till the new 33's are on and I figure out a way to weight it (I can't imagine it and the dolly exceed 5000# but...) so I know exactly what I am working with.

Thanks again and don't be surprised if it is awhile before I hit you up to trial the dolly. I'm just REAL slow out of the gate :)

Rezarf
09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Any scrap yard, or dump can weigh your truck easy!

Drew

corsair23
09-14-2006, 04:15 PM

Drew

Cool! Thanks Drew!

Jeff

nelson
09-14-2006, 07:22 PM

Drew

We had to weigh the trailer when we moved here to title & license it. Sante Fe Rock & Gravel did it for $7 I think. They are on the west side of the road about 2.5 mile N of 470 on Sante Fe.

Our Cruiser weighed in at just under 4k, with no top or doors, stock motor, bondo, huge roll cage and 35's. I think our post on the trailer the total set up weighed in at over 6200 lbs, can't remember exactly.

We had tried to flat-tow it with 33's and it was a nightmare. Never got out of the subdivision as it would not correct to center. My FIL however flat tows his everywhere behind a F150 with low gearing and now a Dodge Cummins. He just disconnects his drive shaft.

Our 40 on the trailer behind the Lexus was CRAZY. The farthest we ever did it was to the Rally in August. I calculated it's total weight to be within 3% of max towing capacity of the LX. NOT fun nor SAFE! We really only dragged it between the house and storage less than half a dozen times in that set-up until we sold it.

Now the 40 on the trailer behind the F250 Diesel was excellent! Very nicely matched. With our two little ones (now three) it worked great. We had started out with a Dodge half-ton with a light trailer and we severely shortened the life of the tranny on the Dodge. Towed it from Wisconsin to GSMTR and it was never the same again.

corsair23
09-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks Nelson! I had wondered about Sante Fe Rock and Gravel as I was pretty sure they had a scale. I'll give them a call as that is nice and close to me.

I know the perfect setup (besides going up to an 80 or 100) would be full size pickup with the 40 on a trailer. That just isn't realistic at this time unfortunately given the cost of the tow vehicle and a trailer.

In reality I might be towing the 40 3-4 times a year max...Really just for the long weekend or week long camping trips (we usually hit Ridgeway/Ouray for a week every year) like what the club just did the last couple weekends.

I am still hopeful that the 40 on a dolly will weigh in at 4000-4500#, which would be well within the limits of my Durango (with 3.73s) at 70-80% of its max tow rating. That gives me a buffer to put some gear in it as needed and still stay safe, I hope.

The other option would be the 40 pulling a trailer which IMO would be hard on it and the family I'm afraid.

First step is to get my 40 weighed once the 33s are on it. The hard top is on it now so I'll have max vehicle weight. Dolly weight will be a known and I can go from there, borrowing Kevin's dolly to see what I think. If it is even a little sketchy then I'll have to start all over again. Someday my '74 will see a trail....someday

Thanks again,

Jeff

RJ1184
09-15-2006, 09:24 PM
You can also go to most truck stops. Most have a certified scale. Its pretty important in that business.

Just ask the DOT boyz.

nakman
09-15-2006, 09:51 PM
You guys keep talking about maybe if you had an 80 it would be a different story and you could finally tow a 40. NFW. 80's are faster than 62's and that's pretty much the end of it, they're not fast and they don't have power for real towing. Even 3rd gen Runners are faster, and they'd pull the same load faster too. No, I don't have any data about tow capacity, I've just hooked stuff up to both of them and that's how it is.

Now a 100 series, OTOH, is a different story with the V8 and all.. that would yank a 40 around without much problem. Ok, back to the dolly debate.. :cheers:

farnhamstj
09-17-2006, 11:06 AM
My wife says. You drive the 40 and wife drive the Durango. Put cb's in both so you can talk. My advice sell both and get a 100 and wheel that in comfort. The 100 can flat tow/dolly a 40 but it's not fun. I only imagine it to be worst in a Durango.