PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here get one of those Car-top-tents on mud?

Rezarf
09-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Howdy-

Heading down to Colorado Springs tomorrow to get my new Car-Top-Tent. Had it shipped to my company headquarters to save on shipping.

I am pretty stoked, 325.00 for the tent, mattress, mounts, ladder, SUV ladder extender, travel cover and rain fly.

It looks quite a bit cheaper in quality next to the easy awn's or hannibals but it will fit the "bill" for me at nearly 1200 cheaper than the next one in line.

Anyone else here nab one? Just curious to your first impressions.

Drew

Three Wheel Ben
09-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Howdy-

Heading down to Colorado Springs tomorrow to get my new Car-Top-Tent. Had it shipped to my company headquarters to save on shipping.

I am pretty stoked, 325.00 for the tent, mattress, mounts, ladder, SUV ladder extender, travel cover and rain fly.

It looks quite a bit cheaper in quality next to the easy awn's or hannibals but it will fit the "bill" for me at nearly 1200 cheaper than the next one in line.

Anyone else here nab one? Just curious to your first impressions.

Drew

Got one, but not here yet

Rezarf
09-14-2006, 02:38 PM
That is sweet Ben,

I thought you just got one of those Oz tents? Maybe that was someone else.

This thing will eventually go onto a small camper trailer... but for now, I am going to find a home on the roof... once that gets put back on.

Let me know what you think when you get yours, when does yours come in?

Drew

sno bored
09-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Drew, are you still planning on buying/making a trailer? Someone on MUD posted a craigslist post in Colorado for a military trailer for $450. Just thought I would give you a heads up. Kevin

Three Wheel Ben
09-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Ha, it just showed up. Maybe check it out tonight or this weekend at the latest.

Rezarf
09-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Drew, are you still planning on buying/making a trailer? Someone on MUD posted a craigslist post in Colorado for a military trailer for $450. Just thought I would give you a heads up. Kevin

Thanks Kevin, do you have a link?

I appreaciate bro... snow is coming soon man!

Drew

Uncle Ben
09-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Ahhhhh....I wanted one but when the guy finally returned my call they were sold out. :( Congradulations! I'll give you $450 for it right now Drew! :rolleyes: :hill:

Rezarf
09-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Kevin-

Found the link, that is a 1.5 ton... WAY too big for a cruiser. Thanks for the tip and yes I am on the hunt!

Uncle Ben, I heard they might consider offering the deal by getting tents back from distributors? Have you checked that out? I think I was number 6 in line.

Nope, I won't take your offer :D but seriously, you are more than welcome to borrow it whenever it is not in use and I mean it! We could trade the time in my roof top tent for time in your pimp RV!:eek:

Drew

Three Wheel Ben
09-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Ahhhhh....I wanted one but when the guy finally returned my call they were sold out. :( Congradulations! I'll give you $450 for it right now Drew! :rolleyes: :hill:

Kevin, I'm not 100% I'll keep it, if I don't you are first on my list.

ben:D

Uncle Ben
09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Kevin, I'm not 100% I'll keep it, if I don't you are first on my list.

ben:D

OK but from an "L" dood is only worth $400! :lmao: :lmao: :rant: :hill:

Three Wheel Ben
09-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Well I put it on and it is pretty cool. The ladder design sucks - will have to work on that. Other than that it is definitely not the quality of an ez awn but for the price you can't beat it. The girls call it the "treehouse"

Three Wheel Ben
09-14-2006, 08:46 PM
A few more2657

nakman
09-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Hey not bad! what's it look like folded up?

Hulk
09-15-2006, 09:41 AM
That thing is sweet. I need to lurk on Mud more often. :(

Three Wheel Ben
09-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Hey not bad! what's it look like folded up?

I couldn't get the kids out til it was after dark, Here's a couple I snapped at work this morning.

wesintl
09-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Dude, That's pretty sweet. I wish I could have pulled the trigger.

Three Wheel Ben
09-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Yea, what's it mean when your :Princess: just starts laughing after she sees it and shakes her head. Good right??? :rolleyes:

corsair23
09-15-2006, 01:35 PM
I think that means "Honey, you're sleeping on the side with the ladder." :D

Seriously, that looks dang cool and functional but I'm with you on the ladder design. That would be a rude way to get woken up in the middle of the night if that thing collapsed on you :eek:

Now, to figure out a way to fab that up on top of a FJ40 without a hard top but with a full roll cage...:rolleyes:

Rezarf
09-15-2006, 11:50 PM
Sweet Pics Ben-

Picked mine up today, plan on getting it open sometime this weekend. I will post up a few pics when I get it up and running.

I do have plans to get it onto a trailer, but a summer mount would be sweet as well. when the top is off.

Drew

Rezarf
09-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Well,

I opened mine up in the garage last night. It has been a long time since I opened something that was ready to roll right as you opened it. I removed the top of the box and flopped it open... pretty sweet to see it pop up and ready to roll within a minute of opening the box.

I guess that is their main advantage. I am pretty excited to get the hard top back on now... first time I have ever thought that :D

I will post up some pics when I get them.

Drew

Rezarf
09-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Ben-

Is the ladder as tragic as it seems?

Drew

Three Wheel Ben
09-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Ben-

Is the ladder as tragic as it seems?

Drew

Yes, the ladder is pretty much a pos. it does the job but that is 90% of the setup/takedown time. Still the tent is cool enough and cheap enough to overshadow that, It's definitely on my list to come up with a new one.

wesintl
09-19-2006, 09:46 PM
UB... latest in the thread on mud says there is 5 left?

I still can't swing it. The 70 would never go faster than 45 :o

Rezarf
09-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Thought I would cross post from Mud...

Well. Probably not a mod in the true since but I wanted to get this thing off the ground and up onto my ceiling of my garage. So I took a piece of 10' tubing in 1" diameter and drilled a hole in each end. Then I laced up a bit of rope through the tubing, and ran them though four eye bolts mounted into the trusses of the ceiling.

This is where it will live until I fab up a camp trailer this winter.

Pretty easy, I have plans to add a cleat at each corner to tie off the rope and install a few pulleys at each eye, but for now it is off the garage floor and out of the way...

... now for that crap ladder!

Drew

Hulk
09-23-2006, 06:29 PM
That's where I have the fiberglass roof to my FJ40 hanging. Not sure why I just don't sell it -- but FJ40s do look cool with the hard top on.

corsair23
09-29-2006, 09:21 PM
For all of those that didn't buy one of these Mel seems to still have some on hand (although who knows how many people are on the 'list'). Here is Mel's contact info:

Mel Flores
mel@mombasausa.net
fax: 817.676.9016

For those that got one I was wondering what shipping ran you?

Thanks!

Three Wheel Ben
09-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Mine was just under $80

Rezarf
09-29-2006, 11:22 PM
I shipped to a commercial address, it was about 70 bucks.

Drew

corsair23
09-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Thanks guys...I got a quote for just over a $100 shipped to my door. Not bad for that big of an item and it would save me the time and gas $$ having to pick it up :)

corsair23
10-12-2006, 11:41 AM
FYI in case any others were wondering this question. I sent off an email to Mel asking whether the CTT/RTT must be stored flat. Until I rig up something in the garage to get it off the ground I'm out of space so my RTT either has to sit on end or the :Princess: car has to sit outside...Here was his answer:

Thank you again for choosing the Car Top Tent for your outdoor adventures. Storage for your CTT, you can lay it on its side, stand it up, etc…. There is no problem on the position its in while in storage. Let me know if you have any questions. Don’t forget to send us your pics of your outdoor camping adventures using the CTT.

Kind Regards,

Mel

For that don't know this yet, Mel is a great person to deal with. :thumb:

corsair23
11-10-2006, 05:15 PM
More for sale (different seller) and now price is down to $225 + shipping...hmmm

Apparently this new person isn't Mel. Seems too good to be true but who knows.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=119667

wesintl
11-10-2006, 06:25 PM
uhh.. Fawk. I don't think I can pass that up :eek:

anyone else? we can split or save on shipping?

lfd270ben
11-10-2006, 09:32 PM
uhh.. Fawk. I don't think I can pass that up :eek:

anyone else? we can split or save on shipping?
me either I will split shipping to save just let me know

corsair23
11-13-2006, 03:34 PM
In case anyone was interested in the latest round of RTTs available on MUD...

I requested a shipping quote. $193.44 for residential delivery, $130.44 for commercial delivery or terminal pickup.

Seems a little steep compared to what Mel was able to ship these for based on what others posted cost wise and the $110 or so I paid for residential dely of my RTT from Mel. But makes me feel better that even though I pd $100 more for the RTT from Mel in the end the difference with shipping is only about $20. I was thinking of picking up a spare but not now.

Anyway, should give those in the Denver metro area an idea of what the RTT will cost you should you want to pick one up. I don't think there is any way to split shipping by ordering more than 1 but I don't know for sure.

nakman
12-02-2006, 04:50 PM
got mine today from Jenny Cruiser.. his price delivered to a Starbucks near you is about the same as what you'll pay to get one shipped now.. so IMO worth at least a little something extra to stay local. (thanks, Chad! :cheers:)

But my brackets are too small to clear my Yakima bars.. anyone else have this problem? My brackets look much smaller than Drew's in that pic above, looks like I either need to pick up a set of Thule bars & towers, or figure something else out with the brackets, or ??? anyone have any good ideas? :confused:

Rezarf
12-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Tim-

Yeah man, your brackets are much smaller than mine. However, your pins are attached with a heavy duty cable. The more of these tents I see, I am finding that no two seem to be the same.:eek:

I have a set of the Thule bars if you want to measure them tomorrow when you come by.

Rezarf <><

lfd270ben
12-02-2006, 05:21 PM
you could notch the bars a little or drill a hole through the bar and put thepins through

farnhamstj
12-03-2006, 06:14 PM
What about using the plastic round Yakima clamps and drilling new holes in the tent. I wouldn't drill or notch the bars as they'll bend easier. As they are rated at only 75lbs each you don't want to make them weaker.

nakman
12-04-2006, 08:45 AM
I ended up drilling through the floor of the tent and installed u-bolts.. will post a pic up tonight. And while poking around discovered that the floor of those is just a single piece of masonite, and those brackets are attached to that using three little rivets. I didn't try, but I bet you could pop off the brackets with a screwdriver, really not much to it. So I drilled the u-bolts through the edge of the floor, through the aluminum frame.. the old brackets are just locators now.

edit: ok here are the pics.. got the u-bolts from Lowes. A much stronger solution too IMO, since the u-bolts run through the aluminum frame of the tent.