PDA

View Full Version : Hail

subzali
05-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Enough to shovel. Our flowers are destroyed

Anyone else feel the wrath from the storm this afternoon?

Lars
05-25-2014, 06:57 AM
No hail, but 2.25 inches of rain.

Bruiser
05-25-2014, 07:39 AM
Interestingly, even though we only live a couple of miles from you, we got it worse on Wednesday. Luckily we hadn't planted anything yet but the neighbors lost their skylight. I have been tracking these storms on Radarscope and it is really interesting to watch. I could tell when I needed to take cover at the Rockies game and for how long. I left the game before they called it and was able to get out and back to shelter before it really started to come down.

kurtnkegger
05-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Not much for precipitation in our neighborhood. The sky was alive with tornado sirens with verbal announcements over the PA to seek shelter.

Woodsman
05-25-2014, 08:46 AM
I take it that hail is something new to you guys in Colorado. That is certainly a bunch of it but luckily it is only the small size. It's not unusual for us to see quarter size here and the last time we got bigger (like silver dollar size) here at home it put a bunch of dents in my truck. A storm like that would shred a lot of crops.

Shotshell
05-25-2014, 09:09 AM
That's weird, Matt. Because I only live about 2-1/2 or 3 miles from you, and I didn't get any at all… Pretty wild stuff though.

subzali
05-25-2014, 11:29 AM
I take it that hail is something new to you guys in Colorado. That is certainly a bunch of it but luckily it is only the small size. It's not unusual for us to see quarter size here and the last time we got bigger (like silver dollar size) here at home it put a bunch of dents in my truck. A storm like that would shred a lot of crops.

We usually expect some hail in certain areas for a few weeks in May and June every year. This is the first time it hailed since I've been a homeowner so I think that's why it was a little more exciting for us. With our garden and flowers planted too. Earlier this week (I guess Wednesday) we had marble sized hail, which is probably on the larger side of whatever we get.

LARGEONE
05-29-2014, 10:52 PM
I've almost run out of my thick cardboard sheets that I throw on top of the truck/cars. They get soaked and I trash them. But thick cardboard works well for taking the beating rather than the thin cars they make now!

Shotshell
05-29-2014, 11:03 PM
I've almost run out of my thick cardboard sheets that I throw on top of the truck/cars. They get soaked and I trash them. But thick cardboard works well for taking the beating rather than the thin cars they make now!

Hmm, good idea. :thumb:

Fishy
05-29-2014, 11:18 PM
I sometimes take 56 Ave to work. Turning East off Pena and go in the back way. I *think* that neighborhood is still considered Green Valley Ranch, but I'm not positive.

Those homes were DESTROYED from that bad hail we had with those tornados. It looks like a bomb went off at the base of every house. Windows are gone, siding is literally hanging off, holes in everything. I've never seen anything like it. I thought about taking some pictures, but I don't want to capture someone else's misfortune. I guess insurance will cover it, but I was floored by how much damage there was. Scary.

DanS
05-29-2014, 11:36 PM
I sometimes take 56 Ave to work. Turning East off Pena and go in the back way. I *think* that neighborhood is still considered Green Valley Ranch, but I'm not positive.

Those homes were DESTROYED from that bad hail we had with those tornados. It looks like a bomb went off at the base of every house. Windows are gone, siding is literally hanging off, holes in everything. I've never seen anything like it. I thought about taking some pictures, but I don't want to capture someone else's misfortune. I guess insurance will cover it, but I was floored by how much damage there was. Scary.

I left DIA about 20 minutes before that storm got to Pena.

It was unreal. It sounded like a bunch of gunshots inside Dammit (the '85 4-runner). Luckily, Dammit is all kinds of multi-colored and awesome already, so I wasn't worried about damaging the paint, but most of the cars were.

I waited for a quick break and put the hubs in to keep going and get away once the Tornado warnings started. I was driving through a solid 9" of hail on the road. Slippery as all get out!

I can easily see how those houses got seriously damaged. I've never seen hail like this (it was an incredible volume of it, and quarter sized). It actually built up so fast the wiper blades couldn't push it out of the way completely.

Dan