PDA

View Full Version : Let's here them. Best camping in the Front Range

aprosise
06-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Planning on going camping this weekend...I know my fair share of cool camp spots, but ive only been here for a couple years.

Let's hear some of your favorite camping spots on the on the front range. Im in Boulder, but I was planning on camping somewhere within 2-3 hours. Looking for free camping, off the beaten path, and somewhere hopefully close to some good mountain bike trails.

aprosise
06-03-2014, 11:37 AM
And yes, I'll be taking my 60, so ill be looking for fun trails to wheel also.

Keith
06-04-2014, 02:50 AM
I live in Louisville. My default destination for when I get a late start and just wanna go sleep in the woods is the Switzerland Trail. It's extremely mild wheeling but there are lots of more challenging offshoots that are fun to explore.

Gross Reservoir is another good close to Boulder option... But currently they've got the roads down to the Reservoir closed, which is a bummer.

Firetacoma
06-04-2014, 07:36 AM
My go-to close to town camping/wheeling area is Big Elk Meadow area west of Lyons.

I haven't been there since the floods so I can't vouch for openness or road conditions but there are great places to tuck yourself back in and be away from the mobs up there.

rckhound
06-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Buffalo Creek area by Pine is pretty awesome. Pretty popular mtb area and. I believe there is some good truck trails around there also.

Rezarf
06-04-2014, 08:17 AM
Rollins pass, has camping, fishing, hiking and wheeling. It can get busy, but midweek is awsome if your schedule allows.