PDA

View Full Version : Favorite camping meals!

Squishy!
06-05-2014, 11:44 AM
So at the post meeting beer time Tim, Stan, Art and I were talking about our favorite camping meals. The middle ground of quick, easy and fancy seemed to be common. I'll kick it off with a couple of my favorites.

I prepackage all this stuff:

Roasted beets. Boil beets for 30 min, peel and slice (like you would an apple) place 1/2 the beet in its own aluminum foil with 2 tbs butter and 1/2 tbs shredded horseradish with a sprig of thyme. Wrap it up loosely. When camping nestle it in the embers to heat 10-15 min. Open enjoy!

Squishy!
06-05-2014, 11:59 AM
For dessert wrap a banana marshmallows Reese's in foil. Heat in campfire enjoy!

wesintl
06-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Dinty Moore and minute rice :dunno:

Brats
tritip
brats
steak
brats
chicken
brats
:smokin:

every once in a while some asparagus is good

Firetacoma
06-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Cook a box of macaroni noodles, add a can of chili, top with cheese.

It's not gourmet but it's easy!

Fishy
06-05-2014, 04:03 PM
The whole premises behind our conversation last night was becoming more elaborate with our meals. I actually enjoy cooking and do most of the meals for my family. This year I want to make a point of trying to get to camp earlier and go beyond basic camp food (burgers/brats)

More unique meals with more fresh ingredients. It makes planning/packing a little more difficult and it's not for every trip, but it adds some new fun to basic camping.

Squishy!
06-05-2014, 04:43 PM
The whole premises behind our conversation last night was becoming more elaborate with our meals. I actually enjoy cooking and do most of the meals for my family. This year I want to make a point of trying to get to camp earlier and go beyond basic camp food (burgers/brats)

More unique meals with more fresh ingredients. It makes planning/packing a little more difficult and it's not for every trip, but it adds some new fun to basic camping.

/\ this.

Ashley and I love to cook so easy gourmet is the ticket. Be creative people!

DaveInDenver
06-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Start using a camp oven. It's easy to make quite good meals easily. We use a 12" and an 8", always looking for a decent 10" to add to the quiver. Those along with our 3-burner Coleman and matching griddle and we can feed an army without too much difficulty. Oh, and a fridge and you're good for a week off grid. Soggy meat, no thanks.

DaveInDenver
06-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Easy Chicken & Rice

1 cup long grain rice
8 to 10 boneless chicken thighs
1 package dry Onion Soup mix
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Pour rice into oven
Put chicken on top of rice
Mix dry soup mix with 2 cups of water, broth and soup
Pour over chicken

Cook 1 hour with 15 coals under and 7 on top of a 12" oven

Squishy!
06-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Start using a camp oven. It's easy to make quite good meals easily. We use a 12" and an 8", always looking for a decent 10" to add to the quiver. Those along with our 3-burner Coleman and matching griddle and we can feed an army without too much difficulty. Oh, and a fridge and you're good for a week off grid. Soggy meat, no thanks.

Recipes! I like the camping oven idea, but I'm a campfire cooker as much as possible. Less to bring with me. Here's another recipe:

1lbs Precut pork fillets
Lemon
Lime
Carrots
Green beans
Salt
pepper

Quarter the pork add a wedge of lemon and wedge of lime to each quarter. Cut carrots into rounds and add all ingredients into a foil wrap and salt and pepper to your liking. Place in bright orange embers for 5-8 min and move to slightly orange for 10-15 min.

Yummmmmmmmmm

DaveInDenver
06-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Pineapple Upside Down Cake

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup crown sugar
1 20oz can of pineapple slices (save juice)
8 cherries (pitted or use canned maraschino)
1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup water

Melt butter in camp oven
Sprinkle in brown sugar, place pineapple slices over brown sugar with a cherry in the middle of each
Mix cake mix, eggs, water and pineapple juice
Spoon mix over pineapple slices

Cook for about 30 minutes with 6 coals under, 18 or so on top of 12"

When done, put tray on top of oven and carefully flip, the whole cake should fall out.

DaveInDenver
06-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Camp Breakfast

2 lbs sausage
2 lbs has brown potatoes
8 eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup of water or milk
2 cups shredded cheese

Prepare bed of coals and place 12" oven on top
Fry sausage, remove and drain
Using sausage oil brown hash browns and spread evenly in oven
Replace sausage and add eggs
Top with cheese

Cook 15 to 20 minutes with 8 coals under, 16 on top, until eggs are done

DaveInDenver
06-05-2014, 05:02 PM
BTW, all these recipes are for 6 to 8 people.

DanInDenver
06-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Diced potatoes, scrambled eggs, ham, cheddar cheese. All in the same pan cooked over a fire. Mom made it for me and my seven siblings on our camping trips. I now make it for my kids.

DaveInDenver
06-05-2014, 05:09 PM
One Pot Salmon, Rice and Peas

1 cup long grain rice
2-1/4 cups water
1 lbs salmon filet, skinned and cut into 3 or 4 large pieces
4 oz fresh green peas
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 green onions, cut into small pieces
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs grated ginger
Salt & Pepper

Mix soy sauce, ginger, sugar and green onions (done ahead at home)
Put rice and water into camp oven
Place over bed of coals, boil until rice absorbs all the water, about 10 to 15 minutes usually

Move coals from under oven
Add salmon, salted & peppered to taste
Cover with peas and pour sauce over all

Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes in an 8" oven with 16 to 20 coals on top (enough to completely cover) until salmon is flaky. You have to watch this every few minutes to prevent overcooking. This will feed 2 to 3.

coax
06-05-2014, 05:12 PM
More of a breakfast but I love to do Juevos Rancheros in a Dutch Oven. Line the bottom with corn tortillas, fill with a mix of eggs, tomatoes, beans, cheese, peppers, onions, etc. Great for feeding lots of people, just takes a while to cook. Slows down the pace and makes you relax :)

Beachboy
06-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Garlic shrimp or lobster.

kurtnkegger
06-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Carolyn pre-makes these, and brings them along camping...they are fantastic!

Thin sliced steak she gets at Kings..usually 5 to a pack season the steaks with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and parsley

lay Fresh spinach, thinly sliced onion, pepperjack cheese, and thinly sliced mushroom on the meat slices

roll the meat and goodies tightly. She rolls the smaller tip first to keep the goodies better consealed in the steak.

Wrap the meat with bacon and secure with a toothpick.

We put the open foil wrap on a grate on the fire and cook till bacon crisps, and meat is cooked.

Good stuff!

Fishy
06-05-2014, 09:42 PM
^Stealing this one! That sounds amazing.

Squishy!
06-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Carolyn pre-makes these, and brings them along camping...they are fantastic!

Thin sliced steak she gets at Kings..usually 5 to a pack season the steaks with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and parsley

lay Fresh spinach, thinly sliced onion, pepperjack cheese, and thinly sliced mushroom on the meat slices

roll the meat and goodies tightly. She rolls the smaller tip first to keep the goodies better consealed in the steak.

Wrap the meat with bacon and secure with a toothpick.

We put the open foil wrap on a grate on the fire and cook till bacon crisps, and meat is cooked.

Good stuff!

Easy to pre-prep and just throw on the fire. My kind of camping meal.

More of a breakfast but I love to do Juevos Rancheros in a Dutch Oven. Line the bottom with corn tortillas, fill with a mix of eggs, tomatoes, beans, cheese, peppers, onions, etc. Great for feeding lots of people, just takes a while to cook. Slows down the pace and makes you relax :)

Never thought of juevos rancheros camping. Why haven't I!?!? It's my hands-down favorite breakfast!

One Pot Salmon, Rice and Peas

1 cup long grain rice
2-1/4 cups water
1 lbs salmon filet, skinned and cut into 3 or 4 large pieces
4 oz fresh green peas
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 green onions, cut into small pieces
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs grated ginger
Salt & Pepper

Mix soy sauce, ginger, sugar and green onions (done ahead at home)
Put rice and water into camp oven
Place over bed of coals, boil until rice absorbs all the water, about 10 to 15 minutes usually

Move coals from under oven
Add salmon, salted & peppered to taste
Cover with peas and pour sauce over all

Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes in an 8" oven with 16 to 20 coals on top (enough to completely cover) until salmon is flaky. You have to watch this every few minutes to prevent overcooking. This will feed 2 to 3.

The cooking in one pot makes up for the slightly higher complexity. Sounds great!

These are my favorites so far and we'll be using them for sure! The library begins! Looks like I'll be squeezing a Dutch Oven into my camping gear...

Keith
06-06-2014, 01:27 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/06/eza4u8y2.jpg

DanInDenver
06-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Chef Keith
Nice flipping skills those grill marks are near perfect.

rover67
06-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Pizza in a Dutch Oven:

butter/oil bottom
Crescent roll spread out on bottom
add pizza sauce, cheese, and whatever else you want

cover with more coals on top than bottom cook and eat!

Corbet
06-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Philly Cheesesteak sandwich.

Sliced roast beef deli meat
peppers
onion
provolone cheese
Rolls

grill the peppers/onion/meat on breakfast griddle serve into rolls with cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Quick and easy.

Corbet
06-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Dessert:

Marshmallows, Chocolate Chips, Banana, and Strawberries stuffed into ice cream cone. Wrap with foil and heat over open fire until warm.

Many variants could be made. Peanut butter is always good warm and gooey.

Corbet
06-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Stroganoff - Easy way

1 lb. Ground meat. I prefer Elk if I have it or Buffalo
White Onion
1 can Cream of mushroom soup
small container of sour cream
bag of large egg noodles

Dice and cook onion in large fry pan
Add meat and brown, drain grease if needed (beef)
add soup and sour cream, salt and pepper to taste

Serve over cooked noodles. Serves family of 4

Somewhere I have a dutch oven Stroganoff recipe but its an all day event - hard way

Keith
06-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Chef Keith
Nice flipping skills those grill marks are near perfect.

Thank you. I take my tuna seriously.

AHorseThief
06-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Chicken enchiladas:

Pre-cook the chicken (I prefer roasting or beer-butt on the grill a whole fryer)

Then mix up a can of Cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and green chilies in a bowl.
Dice up an onion
Get some shredded cheese.

Put some of all of the above in each tortilla, roll them up and place in a large dutch oven. Spoon sauce and sprinkle cheese and onion over the tops of the enchiladas. Warm everything up until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melty.

I like it because the ingredients pack easily and it doesn't take much time to put together. Plus it goes great with camping margaritas and chips and salsa.

Lars
06-09-2014, 05:52 PM
We need to make a cook book. If there is interest let me know and we can put it together.

Squishy!
06-09-2014, 06:38 PM
We need to make a cook book. If there is interest let me know and we can put it together.

Yes. Done. Go forth and bookify.

Lars
06-09-2014, 09:16 PM
If were going to do this, would like to continue to get recipes. Good work guys.

Yes. Done. Go forth and bookify.

euroford
06-10-2014, 11:38 AM
staples for us, we try to pre prep as much as possible.

in the blender, combine 2-3 cups of olive oil along with a good bit of salt, a lot of pepper and a whole crapload of herbs and garlic. use whatever herbs are rocking the garden at the moment. basil is a fav.

whip that up really good. throw it in a gallon baggy along with a bunch of steaks, pork chops and chicken breasts.

we'll also slice up potatoes, wrap them in foil with salt, pepper, olive oil.

we'll also do the same with veggies; carrots, brussels sprouts, asparagus or beans. with the veggies i'll sometimes use butter instead of olive oil. adding some brown suger to the carrots is a good idea.

so, if you do steaks, pork chops and chicken in the meat bag, three things of potatoes, and one thing each of carrots, bsprouts and asperagus, you have your whole crew fully set for three days of good meat n taters meals.

you can then mix it up each night depending on what sounds good, and you have almost no prep work to deal with onsite. your messing with the fire, drinking beer and socializing, not jacking in the kitchen. as soon as you get your fire going nicely, almost done with beer one, throw the potatoes near the edge. 15 minutes later, fire should be rocking, grab another brew and drop the veggies next to the fire, move em around as necessary and add fire grate above hottest part. 15-20 minutes later, throw on the steaks. cook like you would on a weber.... when these are done, serve everybody up, grab beer #3, pig out.

throw away foil, wash dishes. with steak, potatoes and veggies along with three beers in yer belly, go sleep like a baby.

you'll almost certainly have leftovers.

at home, we'll throw a 9 eggs in the blender, combine with some salt n pepper along with a splash of milk, give it a good whip. poor contents into three separate one quart bags, squeeze out all of the air.

for breakfast, boil a pot of water, drop eggs baggy into water and let boil.

chop up leftover meet, potatoes and veggies, warm up in fry pan.

warm up some tortillas, add eggs and leftovers to tortillas plus hot sauce or salsa.

and there ya go.... thats our deal when we pull a long weekend of camping.

Hulk
06-19-2014, 11:54 PM
Our go-to meal is usually

A huge mess of green beans cooked for an hour with a bit of water, a bunch of butter and some pepper. The longer you cook them, the better.
Pasta: spaghetti or tortellini
Red sauce flavored with your favorite herbs and pepper
Garlic bread cooked directly over the campfire
Spinach salad with gorgonzola cheese, candied walnuts, pears, raspberry vinaigrette dressing
Bottle(s) of red wine

It's relatively quick to make and universally loved by all.

CardinalFJ60
06-20-2014, 02:43 PM
My favorite is Old40Dog's Pasole!!!!! (thanks Idelle (sp.?))