PDA

View Full Version : Saturday morning discussion

baja1d
06-07-2014, 07:15 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KKLewrcRQ44&feature=youtu.be

thefatkid
06-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Never try and stop a moving/rolling vehicle with your body. Don't jump towards a vehicle in motion. While the throttle out to save from a "roll" might have been not needed, it was just dumb to try and save it by holding on.

AxleIke
06-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Seen that happen in person twice. Lots of people think that jumping on sliders or bumpers to "save" a truck from a roll is the right thing to do. I've never seen it end well.

Stay off the truck. If you are concerned about possible roll over on an obstacle, attach a strap to the vehicle before it starts up/over the obstacle, and use that to stabilize if you wish. That way you can let go if the vehicle starts to pull you, but you aren't near it or about to be crushed.

Squishy!
06-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Just ask my dad what the body for truck sacrifice is worth. RedChili was on a bumper of a Prado I think in Moab and realized how dumb it was and trying to get off the unstable vehicle he slipped, hit his head, and was sent on a helicopter to GJ for a cerebral bleed. Not worth it. Vehicles are designed to protect the people inside. And as drivers we all know the risk we take to our trucks when we are on trail. If it rolls it sucks. That's the risk.

Squishy!
06-07-2014, 08:51 AM
And another point. If things are slow and can be assessed then approach a rig to strap or whatever. Never rush a moving vehicle EVER. It's a bad game of Rock Paper Scissors. Rock crushes car, car crushes man, rock crushes man. man just gets crushed.

baja1d
06-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Well what about this???

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MQm5BnhTBEQ

DaveInDenver
06-07-2014, 10:54 AM
That Saudi thing is crazy. I mean, I didn't see anyone check that the lug nuts were at 55-to-72 ft-lbs before setting it down. That's just crazy trusting just the OEM handle will get it right.

On the Crack video, I think it's obvious but instinct is to grab it. That's why it's important to analyze mistakes. Puts things into your subconscious that your brain will act on before you even realize it, in this case NOT to chase a moving vehicle. Happens in a lot of things in life. Never try to catch a falling pistol or knife, don't try and pull out someone who is caught under a live power line, don't tug on Superman's cape.