PDA

View Full Version : Accidents on the trail

baja1d
06-15-2014, 10:09 AM
I was searching through the forum to see what accidents guys had run into over the years in an effort to assemble the most comprehensive first aid kit. My goal is get our members as safe as possible and equipped with a kit that may save a life.

So what have you guys come across over the years?

Here's a few links to jog some memories:

Thread links to past accidents:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18660&highlight=accident
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17044&highlight=accidents
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13948&highlight=accidents
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8749&highlight=accidents
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4402&highlight=accidents
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2289&highlight=accidents
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18481&highlight=accident
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17600&highlight=accident

MDH33
06-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Where's that thread where Rick sliced his hand open with Matts folding knife while we were taking apart that wrecked ATV? I've never seen blood spray out like that before except maybe on Walking Dead. :hill:

Rick survived! :thumb:

RicardoJM
06-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Where's that thread where Rick sliced his hand open with Matts folding knife while we were taking apart that wrecked ATV? I've never seen blood spray out like that before except maybe on Walking Dead. :hill:

Rick survived! :thumb:

Here is the thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8062&highlight=ATV+Brant). :thumb:

Fishy
06-16-2014, 09:19 AM
From the Spooky Pre-Run a few years ago. I should have been a little more alert to the signs of hypothermia. I'm also not sure how prepared I would have been if there were still people inside the rolled truck. I could have done a few things better. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18646

Since Tim couldn't lead that year, I filled in but I wanted to pre-run the trail to check conditions. I almost went alone because it was mid-week and Barbour Fork is a relatively mild-moderate trail. I was thankful to have Brad as a passenger and this experience changed the way I plan/pack even I'm only on a short run. Anything can happen and a short run can turn into a long stay. A small pack with a few extra survival needs always has a place in my truck now.

Lastly, I never go solo without leaving a detailed note of my plans. Last year when I went into the San Juan's alone, I messaged some RS friends and told them where I was going and when I planned on getting back..... (close the loop by letting them know that you've returned) There are few better folks that understand the need to get out on your own, the trails and the areas like this group right here.

AxleIke
06-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Arg!! I made the list :D

I've not had any other experiences on the trail (thank goodness) beside the one I was involved in.

Loving my First Aid Kit though! Used it the other day for a minor cut only, but was glad to have it handy!

mikeyhcrana
06-16-2014, 10:07 AM
From the Spooky Pre-Run a few years ago. I should have been a little more alert to the signs of hypothermia. I'm also not sure how prepared I would have been if there were still people inside the rolled truck. I could have done a few things better. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18646

Since Tim couldn't lead that year, I filled in but I wanted to pre-run the trail to check conditions. I almost went alone because it was mid-week and Barbour Fork is a relatively mild-moderate trail. I was thankful to have Brad as a passenger and this experience changed the way I plan/pack even I'm only on a short run. Anything can happen and a short run can turn into a long stay. A small pack with a few extra survival needs always has a place in my truck now.

Lastly, I never go solo without leaving a detailed note of my plans. Last year when I went into the San Juan's alone, I messaged some RS friends and told them where I was going and when I planned on getting back..... (close the loop by letting them know that you've returned) There are few better folks that understand the need to get out on your own, the trails and the areas like this group right here.

Crazy story on the link about your spooky pre run. I was surprised to read RS has a no carry policy. For the record, I do not carry a firearm in my vehicle. However, with that said, I would feel much safer if someone were carrying a firearm. Having a no firearm policy seems downright dangerous. That way, everybody knows you have no gun, I'd rather have strangers wonder if you do, then know you don't.

Fishy
06-16-2014, 10:15 AM
It's actually not a "no carry" policy as it is a "don't show" policy. No shooting on club runs. As long as you're a responsible owner and abiding by all state and federal laws, I don't see any issue. Like I said, that situation changed the way I pack/prepare for an outing.

baja1d
06-16-2014, 10:37 AM
I guess I should throw in my "lesson learned" thread: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18879. Not quite as exciting as Stan's but we were all grossly underprepared!

baja1d
06-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Arg!! I made the list :D

I've not had any other experiences on the trail (thank goodness) beside the one I was involved in.

Loving my First Aid Kit though! Used it the other day for a minor cut only, but was glad to have it handy!

Right on. Let me know if you need anything restocked... I'll add it to the next order

AxleIke
06-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Crazy story on the link about your spooky pre run. I was surprised to read RS has a no carry policy. For the record, I do not carry a firearm in my vehicle. However, with that said, I would feel much safer if someone were carrying a firearm. Having a no firearm policy seems downright dangerous. That way, everybody knows you have no gun, I'd rather have strangers wonder if you do, then know you don't.

It's actually not a "no carry" policy as it is a "don't show" policy. No shooting on club runs. As long as you're a responsible owner and abiding by all state and federal laws, I don't see any issue. Like I said, that situation changed the way I pack/prepare for an outing.

Last I'd heard, it was a no shooting policy unless specifically stated in the run planning that it will be a shooting trip.

I know for a fact that most of the runs I've been on, there are a fair number of armed individuals participating. People respect others wishes to "not show" unless needed. Its worked very well in the past.

Only place I've ever seen it be an issue was on the forum, in "hypothetical" situations. Never read a trip report where it was a problem, at least from our group. Could be wrong though.

AxleIke
06-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Right on. Let me know if you need anything restocked... I'll add it to the next order

Will do, but supplies are good for now!

mikeyhcrana
06-16-2014, 12:47 PM

Oh, that is very reasonable. It just seemed odd to have a "no carry" policy. I assume that RS might even have former law enforcement/ military people and that everyone could benefit in safety with at least the possibility of somebody packing.

No shooting is a good policy for a lot of reasons. I ran Pickle gulch yesterday just me and my kids. (I would've gone to Spring Creek but our baseball tournament prevented it.) We came past two people shooting. I get aprehensive when I see others shooting anyway because of the unknown. These individuals wouldn't make eye contact when I passed so I could wave. It also makes litter when dumb people shoot guns. Most trash I see is shotgun shells. Ammo cost too much for target practice. Not a big deal really, I was raised around guns so I am comfortable about them. But I totally agree with "no shooting", I get away from shooters ASAP, when I'm in the mountains.

baja1d
06-16-2014, 01:11 PM
If you grab one of the kits I'm putting together you will not have to boogie so fast. GSW's (gun shot wounds) & falling rocks were a consideration with bandage choices.

AimCOTaco
06-16-2014, 02:24 PM
If you grab one of the kits I'm putting together you will not have to boogie so fast. GSW's (gun shot wounds) & falling rocks were a consideration with bandage choices.

^^^ Good call, I've been carrying 'Quick Clot' or whatever sponges in the door pockets of both trucks for awhile to stop the big gushers. So far grateful to only have carried them along.

Interesting for a new member to have these "unique and exciting" old threads highlighted. Lots of examples of skilled club members lending a hand wherever able (Stan even stops for half frozen meth heads!), great stuff. Preparation is a big step to how you can handle these things as they come along and we can all learn something by reflecting on how things came out.

Stay safe out there!

mikeyhcrana
06-16-2014, 05:08 PM

Ugh, makes me sick to think about needing bandaids that big. I bet it beats my walmart kit. How much are your kits and are any still available?

Squishy!
06-16-2014, 06:01 PM
No kidding. It's nice to be prepared for the worst.

baja1d
06-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Ugh, makes me sick to think about needing bandaids that big. I bet it beats my walmart kit. How much are your kits and are any still available?

I'm putting together another order. The medical supplies jumped up like crazy since our last order. The kits are now $125 each but my supplier has made one last exception for Rising Sun members... I can get 30 more for $95 each. So far, I've got one paid for; just need 29 more. Here's the order thread:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=21173

Shotshell
06-16-2014, 10:23 PM
I know for a fact that most of the runs I've been on, there are a fair number of armed individuals participating.

Damn straight…

But the key is to not make a big deal out of it. I think being armed and quiet about it should always be the norm, rather than the exception.

Fishy
06-17-2014, 06:31 AM
This thread has been hijacked...... Sorry baja1d. This is the accidents on the trail thread.

Any club member is free to review the Bylaws and SOPs. Here is a clip....

Rising Sun is a 4WD club, not a gun club. We acknowledge that some members may have the legal right to carry concealed weapons. In these cases, the laws of the state supersede our bylaws, and our members may carry concealed weapons if they are legally authorized to do so. Members who have earned this privilege should keep their weapons concealed at all club events, unless a legitimate situation arises in which a firearm is needed. In all other regards, Rising Sun members should not bring firearms to club events. Open carry of firearms is expressly prohibited for all members in order to maintain a family friendly environment.

We can move this discussion to a new thread if someone would like to start one.

baja1d
06-17-2014, 07:58 AM
This thread has been hijacked...... Sorry baja1d. This is the accidents on the trail thread.

Any club member is free to review the Bylaws and SOPs. Here is a clip....

Rising Sun is a 4WD club, not a gun club. We acknowledge that some members may have the legal right to carry concealed weapons. In these cases, the laws of the state supersede our bylaws, and our members may carry concealed weapons if they are legally authorized to do so. Members who have earned this privilege should keep their weapons concealed at all club events, unless a legitimate situation arises in which a firearm is needed. In all other regards, Rising Sun members should not bring firearms to club events. Open carry of firearms is expressly prohibited for all members in order to maintain a family friendly environment.

We can move this discussion to a new thread if someone would like to start one.

Yep, I figured that it would be once guns were mentioned. So its safe to say that a RS group can circle the wagons, protect the women & children, and then continue to wheel after the threat has past or been eliminated! Back to accidents, injuries, and suggestions for first aid supplies....

AxleIke
06-17-2014, 05:11 PM
yes, sorry for the hijack!

nakman
06-17-2014, 10:31 PM
yes, sorry for the hijack!

don't be. and well done, all- I agree with everything that's been posted, it's great to see that we didn't have to go over the deep end and back again to find our sanity again in this one. Must be a good group. :)