PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Member

buckeye4rnr
06-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Hey guys,

I just joined the forum so wanted to make my first post a hello. I've got the July meeting on my calendar so as long as work doesn't get in the way, I'll be there. I've got a 2013 4Runner Trail that is mostly stock except for some Budbuilt bumpouts and stock size Duratracs. I hope to add an OME lift shortly.

The girlfriend and I recently got all(yeah right there's probably a lot more) of our camping stuff together along with the two Funtreks books so we're looking forward to getting out to explore the state and see some stars.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/26/yqu3uzyd.jpg

And here's my mountain bike
http://photos-h.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfp1/10013197_245080052360911_1388616340_n.jpg

AxleIke
06-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Welcome! That is a sweet ride! You are going to have fun wheeling with that baby!

BJTLC100
06-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Welcome! Nice rides...both of them!

Squishy!
06-26-2014, 08:14 AM
Join us this weekend for camping and family fun up at argentine!

akingf5371
06-26-2014, 10:36 AM
The 4R is very capable once you get a little lift on it.

AxleIke
06-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Or without. These new Trails are very impressive. In stock form, probably the best 4runner platform yet. Way, way out of my price range, but if it weren't, it'd be high on my list.

buckeye4rnr
06-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Or without. These new Trails are very impressive. In stock form, probably the best 4runner platform yet. Way, way out of my price range, but if it weren't, it'd be high on my list.

I definitely paid more than I wanted to but coming from a RWD Infiniti, anything was an improvement for adventures out here and since I hope to have it until it refuses to run anymore, I think I can live with my decision haha.

So far I love it but I'll love it even more when I get rid of the stupid factory rake and lift it a little.

buckeye4rnr
06-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Join us this weekend for camping and family fun up at argentine!

I'd love to, I'll see if I can make it work and talk to the lady friend.

If I were planning on some disbursed camping for the 4th that can be accessed from a relatively easy 4wd trail, what would you recommend? My buddies are planning on going to the Dunes and camping there but I would prefer to avoid the crowds.

akingf5371
06-27-2014, 12:16 PM
I'm just speaking from experience. You need to increase the clearance to do the more difficult trails.

AxleIke
06-27-2014, 02:20 PM
I'm just speaking from experience. You need to increase the clearance to do the more difficult trails.

Thats odd. They must be a bit different than I thought. They certainly look very good right out of the box.

They had one in Moab a few years back that was doing some pretty difficult stuff, but it must have been lifted. Didn't have any bumpers or anything though. I was very impressed with the ATRAC and locker.

DaveInDenver
06-27-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm with Isaac, you don't need a lift to have fun with that truck. Plenty of dirt roads and mild trails to keep it interesting for a long time. You have a great guide book, Charles Wells' ratings are IMHO sound and your 4Runner could do even the difficult ones, but those would be a risk of body damage. But with your sliders I doubt there's more than a handful of trails you couldn't do in there with some practice.

So it's not to say a lift and armor isn't nice but the easy and medium are generally all fine for a stock Toyota. Just don't feel like you /need/ that stuff right away. Be sure to spend some money on camping gear and gas seeing our fair state while you're stuffing away a few bucks towards the goodies!

BTW, we have a handful of cyclists here so don't hesitate to post up an evening ride or a weekend trip to Fruita or whatever.

AxleIke
06-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Dave is certainly spot on, there are numerous beautiful trails that don't have any need of modifications. However, to be clear, I wasn't trying to be critical of anyone's plans to lift or not. I was just admiring the stock capability of the OP's truck.

Anyway, welcome again, and yes, there are certainly some very talented MTN bikers on here, Dave is one of them. I am an amateur (read: total out of shape newb) biker. So you have a whole spectrum of folks who ride.

Cheers! :beer: