PDA

View Full Version : July 4th Camping Ideas

buckeye4rnr
06-30-2014, 02:35 PM
The lady friend and I are trying to plan something for the upcoming 3-day weekend but we're suffering from paralysis by analysis.

I would prefer to do something dispersed as I'm sure most camp grounds are going to be packed. We would also prefer to have to offroad a little bit to get there to further cut down on people, do any of you have some good sites you could recommend? Willing to go up to about 4 hours outside of Denver and I would definitely appreciate any advice you can give me.

Kind of thinking about Lincoln Creek out by Aspen if anyone has been there and can comment on it.

-Joe

buckeye4rnr
06-30-2014, 03:18 PM
We're also thinking about Cottonwood Pass, Browns Creek, or the Taylor Park area.

Jacket
06-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Yes and yes to the first two choices. Both are close to the Colorado Trail if that's appealing to you. Browns Creek is pretty popular and gets filled up quickly on busy weekends.

Take a look at our Argentine thread for another option. There are tons of dispersed sites on both the lower and upper routes.

buckeye4rnr
06-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Take a look at our Argentine thread for another option. There are tons of dispersed sites on both the lower and upper routes.

Thank you. Do you think Argentine will be packed for the holiday weekend or are there enough spots that it shouldn't be a problem?

Jacket
07-01-2014, 02:46 PM
I suspect it will be busy with ATV traffic through the weekend. The ATV's are less likely to take the low road because of the deep water crossings, so you might have better luck down there. Last weekend there was hardly anyone camped on that side.

LARGEONE
07-01-2014, 07:54 PM
This weekend, I would only go if the trail requires a water crossing or some decent wheeling to get to...otherwise, you might as well camp out in your back yard bc it will be less crowded ;)

Inukshuk
07-01-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm also working on ideas: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=21511

I'll likely return by noon Sunday. Thinking to avoid I-70 entirely