PDA

View Full Version : Family friendly hiking in and around Breckenridge?

Rezarf
07-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Hi folks,

The fam and I are in Breck for the week for our summer vacation as a family. I was hoping to take the family on a couple short hikes in the area (within 30ish minutes from the downtown area). My kids are 5, 3, and 1. The two older ones can handle up to 2 miles of walking if the elevation gain isn't intense.

Also, I forgot our baby carrier backpack in Denver :banghead: does anyone know of any local gear recyclers or thrift stores in the area?

Thanks in advance-

Drew

Jacket
07-07-2014, 09:32 AM
The Mohawk Lake trail south of Breck is a good one. You guys probably won't get all the way to the lakes, but its a nice trail and there are good places to stop along the way. It's south of Breck toward Hoosier Pass. I think the turn off is Spruce Creek Rd, but if you Google it you will find more details and directions.

sno bored
07-07-2014, 11:10 AM
There are a couple of thrift stores in Breck, One on main street across from extreme pizza and another on airport road. In Frisco there is Recycle ski and sport which is near Walmart across the street. recycle would most likely have backpack type stuff.

If you are looking for things to do with the family, you can take the gondola to the base of peak 8 for free. At peak 8 they have the alpine slide, ziplines, a roller coaster, mini golf, and a big maze. These all cost a bit of money. At the breck ice rink they have mini golf and a couple of bouncy castles. This stuff is much cheaper at the ice rink. There are a few hiking trails behind the ice rink too. If you park at the rec center and walk to the blue river there is a paved rec path. Just North of the rec center there is singletrack that runs along the blue river. Not too many people bike this area and it is pretty flat and has nice views.

Rezarf
07-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys! I scored a baby carrier on craigslist, and we're gonna agent a little hiking in now. Thanks Kevin the gondola was on our short list.

girraffe
07-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Tiger road heading south it's on the left about 1/2 to 1 mile before you get into breck

Corbet
07-07-2014, 02:30 PM
I 2nd the Spruce Creek trailhead as a good family starting point. If you really like the area my lot is still for sale up there ;)

The Rainbow Lake area out of Frisco is a good spot but not as close to Breck.