PDA

View Full Version : Check this out...

Rezarf
09-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Might be time for a precleaner like Wes' on the ol' snorkle...

I changed this right before Moab this year, and took it out right after the Ghost Town Run... remember the dust!?:eek:

I was cleaning up the garage today and found it, I had flipped it once when I felt it chuggin' up the pass, but I replaced it a month ago, kinda forgot how bad it got!

Drew

wesintl
09-24-2006, 07:00 PM
my pre cleaner does very little even on the dustiest rides like the ghost town run. It does a little bit in moab being behind 4 vehicles but again, very little.

I probably wouldn't buy one again. I'd just run straight paper filters. I just put the ram head back on today.

Then again, I like to be different and different from all the other snorkelers ;)

Rezarf
09-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Good to know Wes! Thanks for the heads up. Isn't there like an oil bath in the precleaner? How does it work?

Drew

wesintl
09-28-2006, 12:48 PM
I suppose there were some old oil bath precleaners but I don't see much today. The precleaner I have and most of what is used in AG today is centrifugal. It spins the dust to the outside and falls in the cup.
http://www.donaldsonfilters.com.au/uploads/Aust%20Air%20Cleaner%20Catalogue.pdf

Oil bath filters like k&n clog easily with dust so they need to be cleaned often.

60wag
09-28-2006, 01:12 PM
The rest of the filter looks oddly clean compared to the nasty spot. Is that spot where the air intake is, or where the PVC or air pump dumps into the air cleaner? If its near the PCV then I'd guess you have a lot of blow-by. If its just crudded up at the intake spot, so what. The filter still has plenty of clean area to pass clean air to the engine.

Rzeppa
09-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Flip it around so the dirty spot is on the opposite end. Old, old trick. Helps to blow it out from the inside out with compressed air while you're screwing around with it.