PDA

View Full Version : 12/74 FJ40 Wind Wing Windows, Bug Catchers, Whatchamacallits

corsair23
09-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Ok...

This might get me the honor of the "stupid question of the year" :) but which way are the wing wind windows on '74 or earlier front doors supposed to open? Should they open in or out?

I actually got my 40 out of the garage today and we took her for a spin :D. Before the drive I was playing with the vent/wind windows a little as the weather stripping is a little messed up. As I was playing with them I started wondering why they opened out as opposed to in. When I unlock them, the rear part pushes out which brings the front part inside the cab. This seems bassackwards to me :confused: because that wouldn't really direct any wind into the cab but probably make a lot of noise. If the rear part opened into the cab and the front part out into the airstream then I can see how that would direct air into the cab.

The way the weather stripping is, the windows will only open one way so I'm wondering if the PO (or PPO or PPPO etc) didn't install the weather stripping for the windows on the wrong sides. Or maybe I'm just all discombobulated :eek:

I forgot to try them while driving but given my WS issues I try not to open them much anyway. I'll probably need to get new WS :( in the future so if mine are backwards I can correct the situation then...

THANKS!

BTW, anyone here own an early FJ40 in a forest green color that was running around Highlands Ranch with their doors off on Sunday? VERY nice Cruiser!

nuclearlemon
09-25-2006, 08:43 AM
on 74 and earlier until about 64, they are called vent windows. 64 and earlier are called bug catchers. the later vent windows pivot outward in back and in in front like an early american truck vent window. the bug catchers hinged in the rear weatherstrip and swung out only.

corsair23
09-26-2006, 01:03 AM
Thanks Ige!!

Looks like mine open the correct way then...Strange but if that is the way they are supposed to open then sobeit!