PDA

View Full Version : More FZJ80 Advice

corsair23
10-02-2006, 03:49 PM
Talking to the :Princess: the other day about her Liberty...She says the brakes suck (I agree) and that Jeep sent her a letter offering to buy it for 120% of its value due to the high "demand" for them...Tried to explain to her that this was most likely a scam designed to get you into the dealer to buy a new vehicle but she didn't think so :rolleyes:

Anyway, that gave me an opportunity to broach the subject of dumping the heep and getting her (us :) ) a FZJ80...Not convinced she wanted to know what they look like. So I show her and she says "Oooh, I like that. And it is a Toyota?" She has concerns about an older vehicle with high miles but knows of Toyota's reliability (she had a Celica, her folks have had 2 4-Runners, and both of her sisters have 4-runners).

So, maybe my dream might be getting closer to reality if we can figure out a way to sell the Jeep for enough to pick up an 80...

That said, I've think I've narrowed my search down to the FZJ80 with factory lockers (front and rear) as a starting point. Might be overkill but better too much than not enough IMO. Preference will be one that is already correctly modded due my lack of skills :( and time. I've been poking around looking for what is available (slim pickings) and found a couple. One is for sale here in CO and one in IL. Obviously local would be the way to go but the CO one is mega $$. Is anyone here familiar with either of these FJs or have any helpful comments about one over the other such as mods done and value?

CO: http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=112396
This is the one the :Princess: saw and liked...Seems to be heavily modded but it is mega $$

IL: http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=112503
Seems to be mostly stock and might be a little too pretty to wheel :D...Less than the local one but I'd have to go get it or ship it and not sure what mods from Slee would cost

Thanks in advance for your help on this and on all my other silly questions lately!

Rzeppa
10-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Corsair, you're on the right track. When I was shopping for an 80, I found that none of the sellers I spoke with knew what diff locks were or whether they had them (some did and some didn't), so therefore they do not command any premium. Second, it is common knowledge that an advantage of buying someone else's mods is that you will pay pennies on their dollar for them. The down side to that is that (1) they WILL know what lockers are and may want a premium, and (2) you are paying for someone else's mods, which may or may not be exactly what you want or done the way you want. But there you have it.

Rzeppa
10-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Oh, one last thing...ask the seller if they've replaced the PHH. If they haven't take a fair amount off, at least several hundred.

treerootCO
10-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Oh, one last thing...ask the seller if they've replaced the PHH. If they haven't take a fair amount off, at least several hundred.

Also keep in mind the seller doesn't have to sell to you. If you are someone who likes to "pay pennies on their dollar" for mods, then demands hundreds off for a heater hose, the seller might just tell you to get lost. ;)

wesintl
10-02-2006, 06:39 PM
http://www.1fzfephh.com/4wdto.html

$25 and maybe an hour or so change? :confused:

wesintl
10-02-2006, 06:47 PM
btw that includes shipping. Ya'll 80 series folks need to get on it like a donkey eating a waffle. ;)

Rzeppa
10-02-2006, 06:56 PM
http://www.1fzfephh.com/4wdto.html

$25 and maybe an hour or so change? :confused:Most people who have done a PHH have spent a LOT more than an hour, usually it's more like a half day job. Maybe the trick is that flexi-head gear wrench doo dad.

And if a seller isn't willing to acknowledge that their mods are worth than what they paid for them, or that changing out a PHH is a 1FZ-specific PITA, then it's the buyer who should be telling the seller to get lost!

nakman
10-02-2006, 08:15 PM
I like the pretty one better than the second. Another downside to buying a truck that's already been upgraded IMO with mods & wheeled all over the place is that it could also be more beat up, meaning rattles, shimmies, or potential breakage down the road. Also things beneath, like drain bolts, driveline, control arms, etc could be dinged up. I don't know Devo's rig so I could of course be way off there.

The pretty mall cruiser may have had an easier life, and may generally be "nicer." $10K plus $7k in upgrades gets you a lot more than $17 for the modded one.

sno bored
10-02-2006, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't let the PHH thing scare you. I did mine today. I spent about 4 hours on it, but I flushed my rad and changed out the thermostat too. I think I spent more time reading old PHH threads that actually changing the hose. It was a PITA, but it wasn't that bad.

Hulk
10-02-2006, 08:26 PM
I bought a vehicle from Illinois. If you don't mind rust and corrosion, go for it. It makes adding your desired mods harder, since bolts tend to snap off rather than turning. Ask me how I know. ;)

Rzeppa
10-02-2006, 08:50 PM
LOL! I hadn't looked at the two links before I posted. Funny how both sellers have devo in their usernames. Anyway, the 97 looks like it might be a decent deal. Miles aren't too high, driven by the guy's aunt, mostly stock, etc. Tim only slightly touched on a hard-wheeled rig's potential gotchas. I would beware buying a rig that has been on the ACT, unless it were a GREAT deal and I knew the seller and was personally familiar with the rig. As for what the ACT will do to a rig, ask Bob Bancroft, Jim Brantley, Peter Straub, our own Mike Koons. One of the nice things about buying an 80, especially one that's in good condition to start with, is not having to worry about whether you can drive it a long way home from where you bought it. BTW, don't forget to check Texas. For whatever reason a huge number of 80s were sold there compared to a lot of other states.

I wouldn't worry about the mods and what they cost compared to the total cost of owning the rig. A lot of that depends on how much you can do yourself. The extent of the mods will depend on what you plan to use it for. Many people forget that a bone stock Toyota 4x4 piloted by a capable driver goes a lot of places that stop lesser rigs cold, even modified ones.

nakman
10-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Corsair, did you see this one http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=199363688&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=3&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_47_%7CB-15000%7CD-_428_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-80020&aff=national or this one http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=133427161&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=2&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_47_%7CB-15000%7CD-_428_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-80020&aff=national

in Denver, and locked.

edit: and red!!

Romer
10-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Both those trucks in the first post are too much money. You can buy a locked 80 for closer to $8-9K if your patient. The other issue is the condition. I passed on several that looked perfect, but had some issues.

Land Schmoozer on Mud might be selling two of his locked 80's. He has 3 and we talked about his selling two of them and modding one up.

If you buy a modded truck, you don't know how bad it was beaten up. Mall cruisers are generally in good shape as long as they have the proper maintenance

corsair23
10-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks everyone for the great tips again! Great information and insight into what to look for. I really appreciate it! My search will continue....Based on the feedback I think I'll concentrate my efforts on a locked local "mall cruiser" and see what turns up as time goes by. Not in any hurry so I can be patient for the right one to come along and try to avoid the impulse buy :)

Thanks again,

Jeff

sleeoffroad
10-03-2006, 08:54 AM
First one is Bob Devero's truck.