PDA

View Full Version : Spooky Night Run - October 28

nakman
10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Hi Folks,

Time once again for the annual spooky night run! Time to dress up the truck, slap a hat on the kids, and load up for an evening of fun, food, and wheeling. This year we'll plan on returning to Jones Pass.. unless it gets too snowy in which case we'll aim a little lower and go up towards Bill Moore Lake. In either case a stock Toyota will be able to make it up to the cookout site, then afterwards we'll have some additional wheeling for those who choose to stick around.

Date: Saturday, October 28
Time: 5:00 pm
Where: Burger King parking lot, Downieville. Last exit on I-70 before Berthoud Pass

Bring warm clothes. Also some snacks, plan on staying out until midnight or so if you do the run after the cookout. questions? who's coming? :thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-09-2006, 04:59 PM
memememememememememememememmemememememe! :cool: :D

treerootCO
10-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I'll be there :)

wasn't Sat the 28th the chainsaw day Tim?

60wag
10-09-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm in. I wonder how much snow will dump up there this week?

Uncle Ben
10-09-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm in. I wonder how much snow will dump up there this week?

Hopefully LOTS! :thumb: :hill:

treerootCO
10-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Come on snow! I want to break out the chains again:D

subzali
10-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Won't be making it this year, found out tonight I've got a church thang going on that's been in the works since this summer...kinda :(, and now with no Moab that's no wheeling for me 'til the Snow/Pizza run!:eek: :(

MDH33
10-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Count me in! :D

Uncle Ben
10-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Won't be making it this year, found out tonight I've got a church thang going on that's been in the works since this summer...kinda :(, and now with no Moab that's no wheeling for me 'til the Snow/Pizza run!:eek: :(

Ther is always tuesdays! :rolleyes: :hill: :lmao:

Rzeppa
10-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Yee hah! I just got done rebuilding the 8274 and remounting it, so should be ready to break through them drifts!

treerootCO
10-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Damn, I'm out :( I have Blue Man tickets that night

Rezarf
10-11-2006, 08:54 PM
bummer, I can't make this one either... :mad:

Have fun, that sounds like a fun time for sure!

Drew

Maddmatt
10-13-2006, 04:14 PM
We'll have to be a game time decision this year. I may be out of state, but if I'm here we'll come, dressed a bit warmer than last year!

11thcavdrt
10-13-2006, 11:51 PM
hi all, doug tebbe here.96 tacoma, sounds like a good time,what kinda of
food for the cookout should we bring,something easy i suppose! count me
in at this time,lookl forward to it!!! :thumb:

doug tebbe.96 tacoma.4 inch lift,4.88 gears,arb r/locker,arb front bumper,
32x11.50x15 mud terrians,headers,gibson exhaust

nakman
10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Doug, happy to have you! Yes, keep it simple for food, I will take care of whatever the main dish ends up being, haven't figured that out though. I do know how it will be cooked, however.. ;)

Also it's probably worth of pointing out since we've got a lot of new folks on the list now that we don't drink on club runs, so y'all can leave the hootch at home. And historically Saturday night before Haloween has been a huge night for cops & checkpoints & roadsides, etc., so you'll be glad you did anyway. :thumb:

stay tuned for more updates.. run is less than 2 weeks away!

Nemo
10-18-2006, 01:48 PM
I will be there. Can't wait to wheel on a "should be" spooky, snowy night.

CardinalFJ60
10-19-2006, 02:31 PM
...chevy truck has been moved further off the trail!! :hill:

I'm in....for redemption, if nothing else.

subzali
10-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Sean, called the state shed today, after they get another snow in the mountains I'm headed up to snag some more broken chains! Gonna fab up some for the red truck, Murdoch's got my tool in so I'm gonna try and make some adjustments to my current chains!:D.

CardinalFJ60
10-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Wow, I forgot about our conversation - As cool as the Rud 4x4 chains are, I think I like the homemade route...

I'll try to find some, and pick up on this conversation later.;)

You'll be runnin' behind me again, I hope...:hill:

subzali
10-19-2006, 08:32 PM
I thought I was in front of you, that's why you slid, from me having to spin my tires like a banshee just to climb that hill. And then we pulled off and you got around us at the top of that hill. Is that right?:confused: Anyway don't go slidin' into any more trucks 'fore you get some. Actually you'll be getting your own butt more once you have chains and decide not to use them and slide into a truck :hill:

Uncle Ben
10-19-2006, 10:03 PM
I thought I was in front of you, that's why you slid, from me having to spin my tires like a banshee just to climb that hill. And then we pulled off and you got around us at the top of that hill. Is that right?:confused: Anyway don't go slidin' into any more trucks 'fore you get some. Actually you'll be getting your own butt more once you have chains and decide not to use them and slide into a truck :hill:

Get real tires and you don't need no stinkin' chains! ;) :hill:

subzali
10-19-2006, 10:54 PM
I got new tires (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=12948&postcount=13).:rolleyes: :cool: :D I'm still gonna take my chains just in case though;)

Uncle Ben
10-20-2006, 06:46 AM
I got new tires (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=12948&postcount=13).:rolleyes: :cool: :D I'm still gonna take my chains just in case though;)

I missed that post....awesome! Brahma is looking nice! :thumb: :D

nakman
10-20-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm still gonna take my chains just in case though

So Subzali, you in for the night run now? I'll do grilled portabellos for you & your pops if so..

subzali
10-21-2006, 09:50 PM
No, got a church get-together that I can't squeeze out of...been in the works for months so there's nothing I can do. You can drive my truck at the November meeting though!:thumb:

As far as tires, got them in June, have done Spring Creek, Chinaman's, TBP and Ghost Town Run with them and very happy! Looks like Front Range Tire went out of business, so had to go to Discount so I could get the lifetime balance/road hazard, but now I should be set! Was going to take Brahma to Moab last weekend, but that trip ended up not happening, so hopefully I'll get to play in the snow soon (thinking Slaughterhouse in the next couple weeks?) + Moab for sure in Dec/Jan, and then Snow/Pizza run. Anyway, /hijack.

nakman
10-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Treeroot & I snuck up there on Saturday morning. It probably snowed a foot last Friday night, we only had my 80 on the trail so we didn't try to go too far, for obvious reasons. Made it past the start of Butler Gulch with no problem, made it to the start of "the run" with no problem. Made it across the creek and about 20' up the first hill then quickly buried the truck up to the sliders. Backed down and headed further up the road, and almost made it to the cookout site from last year, but not quite. Again, I was only "half trying" since I wanted to make sure I could back out of whatever I drove into... :)

So the conditions appear ideal: a good group of trucks will have a blast making new tracks in the run, and everyone will have a bit of an adventure making it up to the cookout site. There's actually a bigger and more accessible cookout site that we can go to, I'll call it site 2 on the map.

nakman
10-24-2006, 08:45 AM
On our way back down the hill a stock Explorer drove up to the start of Butler Gulch to do some X-Country skiing, then we were passed by a dude in a Forrester making his way up the road. I suspect by the end of the weekend 20 more cars drove up there, so the road should be pretty well packed down. I doubt anyone has tried the alternate run though, that should still be untracked. :D

And it's been sunny up there all week, supposed to cloud up again tomorrow but then be sunny again Friday & Saturday.

nakman
10-24-2006, 08:52 AM
I will be cooking burgers & brats for everyone, feel free to bring any chips or other side dishes you'd like to share. And bring your boots, lots of warm clothes, and a SHOVEL. We will use it! Burger King at 17:00, see you then!!

Crash
10-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Suzie and I will be there along with the dogs and we, dogs included, love grilled portabellos, Tim. ;) Haven't done much wheeling since Moab so I hope I haven't forgotten how. Will be bringing chains but I will be staying far away from Cheeseman if he makes it on the trip. :hill: See you Saturday.

I will be cooking burgers & brats for everyone, feel free to bring any chips or other side dishes you'd like to share. And bring your boots, lots of warm clothes, and a SHOVEL. We will use it! Burger King at 17:00, see you then!!

Uncle Ben
10-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Suzie and I will be there along with the dogs and we, dogs included, love grilled portabellos, Tim. ;) Haven't done much wheeling since Moab so I hope I haven't forgotten how. Will be bringing chains but I will be staying far away from Cheeseman if he makes it on the trip. :hill: See you Saturday.

If someones has an empty seat I might keep it warm for ya. Popped the headgasket on the 80 yesterday coming home on the west side of Eisenhower. :( I have been expecting it to happen but wanted to see how long it would go since its had green coolant instead of red most of its life....175k and under boost....not bad! Oh and BTW.....no signs of weepage nor has the PHH bulged or leaked! Go green! :bowdown: :cheers:

nakman
10-25-2006, 09:28 AM
Uncle B, plenty of open seats here.. you got it home alright I take it? And I see you agree with your neighbor on the green vs. red debate... :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
10-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Uncle B, plenty of open seats here.. you got it home alright I take it? And I see you agree with your neighbor on the green vs. red debate... :rolleyes:

Thanks Tim! I was worried but I obviously forgot I was in a Land Cruiser so of course I got home! Yessir green is good! No worries as mechanical failure is ALWAYS an opportunity to upgrade! :thumb: :hill: :bowdown: :Princess:

JadeRunner
10-25-2006, 03:45 PM
I will probably make it. I will be executing my 40th birthday present Sat. AM so it should make for a very adventurous day for me. I will be in combat against my dad over the eastern plains in "The fighter pilot experience" - http://www.skyfighters.com/index.htm

Oh, and MTR's rule in the snow! As long as there not 12.5" wide.

Uncle Ben
10-25-2006, 04:07 PM
I will probably make it. I will be executing my 40th birthday present Sat. AM so it should make for a very adventurous day for me. I will be in combat against my dad over the eastern plains in "The fighter pilot experience" - http://www.skyfighters.com/index.htm

Oh, and MTR's rule in the snow! As long as there not 12.5" wide.

OMG! What an experiance you will never ever forget! :cool:

MTR's are OK. ;)

Hulk
10-25-2006, 06:06 PM
I will be in combat against my dad over the eastern plains in "The fighter pilot experience" - http://www.skyfighters.com/index.htm

Looks like a total rush. Should be an excellent BD. :beer: in advance.

11thcavdrt
10-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Nakman:

doug tebbe here/tacoma 96/11thcavdrt. might not be able to make the run
ive been fighting a real bad cold that has turned into a bad case of bronchit-
ics. if the meds/drugs the doc gave me start kicking in faster i might still
try and make it, if i dont everyone else have a great time!!!

11thcavdrt/tacoma 96

nakman
10-27-2006, 08:02 AM
No worries Doug, thanks! We'll see you again on the next one if you can't make it out.. get healthy that's a lot more important.

See the rest of ya out there tomorrow, 17:00.

Red_Chili
10-27-2006, 08:28 AM
So what's the avalanche picture for Jones Pass? Things are really unstable after this snow...
And I see several chutes on the topo, leading up to the pass right after US 40.

MDH33
10-27-2006, 08:44 AM
So what's the avalanche picture for Jones Pass? Things are really unstable after this snow...
And I see several chutes on the topo, leading up to the pass right after US 40.

Looks to me like the route doesn't go all the way up the pass, and probably not above treeline. All the new snow should make it fun! :D

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=2966&stc=1&d=1161700872

nakman
10-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Right, we're pretty far down in the trees, I don't recall seeing any chutes where we'll be at. In fact, if there's a ton of snow then the cookout site may end up being the parking lot at the bottom of the pass, and the "run" may be just the first part of the pass... time will tell. anyone have a sled they could toss in?

60wag
10-27-2006, 09:09 AM
I might bring some skis :)

inacoma
10-27-2006, 09:31 AM
some of you *might* know me...Well I finally moved to CO on labor day weekend!! ... and I've been wheelin' multiple times since ;) Mostly with Mark Brodis and Eric Kinne ...

Mark turned me on to this thread (he can't make it), but Eric and I thought we would try if it's ok with you :beer:

I would bring my Wife (Jenny) and dog (Lexi)...and some snacks too :thumb:

Eric has a stock 4runner...would he make it up? I'm thinking he will if it's not snow...but if snow...not sure, unless it's been packed down.

I went snow wheeling for the first time near Lamartine mine last weekend and, of course, got sideways a few times in my 80...I now know that chains are a must as part of the bag :)

later,

Kumar

nakman
10-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Hey Kumar, welcome!!! You bet you guys are invited. The stock Runner will easily make it to the trail head, where we will all be assessing conditions at that point. It will be snowy for sure, but we'll just have to see what melts & gets tracked out today and tomorrow. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow night!

corsair23
10-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Boy I really wish my 33's were on the 40...Oh, and that the kids seats were bolted in...and about 1000 over nagging issues...I could always bring the Durango or Liberty !:eek: ok, not really :D

Evrgrnmtnman
10-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Hope everyone brings their "SnowCat" or "Tucker", "Bombadier".........your need it!

Crash
10-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Chains, winches and snatch straps will probably suffice! Along with good attitudes, good food and great people. No problemo!! The sunset tonight was unbelievably beautiful and tomorrow night's will be too.

Convert
10-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Wish I could go but we have family in this weekend

nuclearlemon
10-27-2006, 08:28 PM
i'm a possibility. depends on how getting ready for snt goes.

nakman
10-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm anxious to see what snow is left after today and tomorrow.. s'posed to be dang hot down here in the city. I've got a couple backup runs in mind just in case Jones looks too nutso.. all fairly close but lower elevation. We'll be safe dear, I promise. And home by 12.. 40. 7.

nakman
10-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Well, I got three different types of flammable liquids packed in the truck.. portabellas are marinating. Im out the door, see you guys soon!

Crash
10-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks for a great time, Nakman! A good mix of oltimers and newbs having a cool evening. Also, it was great to see Mr. and Mrs. Rudeboy, I mean Timbo and Heidi, in costume on a Rising Sun run.

leiniesred
10-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Thank Nakman! Lin and I had a great time playing in the snow. I'm seriously looking forward to doing more club stuff this winter. Too many hobbies. Being greated with all those smiles after dropping out for so long was really great.
Old friends and news faces, the warmth of the fire took the edge off the cold for me. Next time you see my ol' Runner, I'll have the winch. Thanks to all.

-LeiniesRed (Timbo and Heidi)