PDA

View Full Version : FZJ80 Advice Part 2

corsair23
10-11-2006, 12:11 PM
I've always thought the 40 series was a fairly "rare" rig...Maybe it is just me but finding an 80 series seems to be MUCH harder :eek: Might be part their availability, part my lack of searching capability, and part my impatience once I decide to do something :D

With that said, anyone recognize this FZJ80?

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/218872267.html

Traded some emails with the seller so far and I am trying to set up a date/time to go look at it. Knowing very little about the 80 series I'll probably try to get it inspected (RMC, Toyota, or ??). Seems to be close to what I am looking for - color is agreeable, factory locked, no mods really, fairly low miles, etc.

I've also been "looking" at a LX450 down in the Springs. Asked the seller if it had factory lockers which he did not know for sure and will "check". Had to admit to him I wasn't even sure if Lexus offered the option :o

Slightly higher miles but 3 year "younger" but also more than $2K more than the FZJ80

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/211660667.html

The other two I asked about last week I think it was...One is sold (the one from IL) and the other is WAY out of my price range and based on comments here might be best avoided due to hard use and potential problems.

Thanks again!! Maybe one day soon I'll get to meet all of you great people at a Rising Sun meeting :)

MDH33
10-11-2006, 12:23 PM
My personal opinion (if I had 10 grand to drop on another rig) would be to get another nice 40. ;)

corsair23
10-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Hey Martin!!

On the first 80 the seller is offering it in stock form for $7700 or for $9700 he'll throw in (not sure if installed or just the parts??) 2 1/2" lift and 35" BFGs

I can't convince the wife to drive a 40 as her DD :), otherwise she'd be driving the '74.

I'm thinking an 80 would be nice for those long weekend trips where you need all your gear with you...And, like usual since I do everything bassackwards so I already have a RTT/CTT on its way from Mel in TX...should be here today :rolleyes:

nakman
10-11-2006, 01:06 PM
One of the best things about having a 40 is also having an 80 series. :rolleyes: I'd go for the 96.

FJBen
10-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Thats good mileage on the 93, do they have records/info on either of them? I would be first inclined to the one with the best history/records etc. My 93 had all dealerwork done when we bought it with 120K 5 years ago. now it has 198K and still no issues, been an awesome vehicle.

If that is the same, i'd go for the locked one next, if both have it...then the solidness of each one. My 93 felt more solid right before i lifted it than my wife 97.

My kids love my 93 (#1 cause it's lifted and mean) and #2 because they can ride upfront, no airbag...that may or may not be what you are looking for. If you get the 93, i wouldn't deal with the lift/tires for 2K. I would talk them down lower and piece together your own lift/shock/tire setup.

MDH33
10-11-2006, 02:11 PM
...If you get the 93, i wouldn't deal with the lift/tires for 2K. I would talk them down lower and piece together your own lift/shock/tire setup.

I agree. Good advice.

wsdavies
10-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I have a 93 fjz 80 and a '77 fj 40. If I had to choose, I think at this point I'd go with the 80. Don't get me wrong I love my 40..there is nothing like it, but the 80 is so practical, capable...and comfortable. You get the better mileage and way better power...Plan on replacing the head gasket when you get it. :D
________
Vaporizer wholesale (http://vaporizerwholesaler.com)

Hulk
10-11-2006, 02:39 PM
$7,700 for a locked 80 series with 127k is a good deal. Only 2 years ago, I paid $13,000 for my '96 FZJ80 with 90k miles. The question is how clean is it?

Plus, you can probably talk him down a bit from $7700, and maybe pick it up for $7300-ish. Some guys (not all) price it with a little wiggle room, since lots of folks like to negotiate.

You can do your own lift and tires for under $2000 if you can install it yourself.

Beater
10-11-2006, 04:20 PM
7700 is a smoking deal...

corsair23
10-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the advice all! I'm leaning toward the '93 right now. Not sure if not having airbags is a big deal or not...I was re-reading through Slee's "noob" guide and noticed that it wasn't until '95 that airbags were available. I've also read that the LX450 body cladding can pose problem if one were to want to remove the fender flares...Really trying to avoid an impulse buy but there is a fine line between it and passing on a great deal by being indecisive...

Any reason why a person should wait to find a '95-'97 FZJ80 over a '93-'94 aside from what is on Slee's noob guide (transmission change, front ABS brake line route changed, MAP vs MAF, ECU changes, OBD-II compatibility)?

Decisions, decisions. I don't know for sure about maintenance on either vehicle yet. The FZJ80 guy sent me this:

...also maint is exetremly good on this truck, it has the expensive stock style michelin LTX tires and NEW birfield seals ($500) it is being replace with a 02' landcruiser and the wife has a 00' landcruiser, it was also preceeded by a line of cruisers. money was not a big issue and it recieved anything it needed.

I don't get the impression the guy that owns the Lexus knows too much about vehicles so I imagine any maintenance done was done by a dealership or similar.

Still no answer re: factory lockers on the Lexus...Anyone know if they were even an option? :confused:

As for price...I haven't talked $$ yet with either one. The owner of the FZJ80 stated he already passed on an offer of $7000 so he may not be willing to negotiate too much.

Either one will get inspected...Any suggestions on who you would use in Denver? Ron over at RMC inspected my '74 40 for me and I think he is very thorough. Any other suggestions in case he is not available?

Oh, and the RTT arrived at the house today :o Yep, I'm pretty dang bassackwards

Hulk
10-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Still no answer re: factory lockers on the Lexus...Anyone know if they were even an option? :confused:

Yes, Romer has the lockers on his LX450. Just like the Land Cruiser 80 series: some have 'em and many don't.

Either one will get inspected...Any suggestions on who you would use in Denver? Ron over at RMC inspected my '74 40 for me and I think he is very thorough. Any other suggestions in case he is not available?

Rocky Mountain is good. Also:
Oleg (Irbis Off-Road)
Slee Off-Road
CTS in Conifer (Joe Calleja)
Toy Car Care near Centennial Airport

Oh, and the RTT arrived at the house today :o Yep, I'm pretty dang bassackwards

Rin Tin Tin is at your house??? :confused:

corsair23
10-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Rin Tin Tin is at your house??? :confused:

Thanks Hulk! As for Rin Tin Tin...Only if he can get up the ladder to the Roof Top Tent :D

nakman
10-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Corsair, you get a 80 yet? http://denver.craigslist.org/car/222068729.html

Hulk
10-18-2006, 10:17 AM

Clean, and it has LOCKERS! :thumb:

wesintl
10-18-2006, 10:24 AM
damn. That's what I want. White/tan interior with lockers...:o

oh well I'll keep dreaming about that and a turbo for the 70:blah:

corsair23
10-19-2006, 09:36 PM

Thanks Nakman...Haven't picked up an 80 yet...Interested in one up in the hills but the family and I decided a trip to sunny FL needed to come first :)

We're missing all the fun and snow in CO but someone has to do it...:D

Thanks again for the tip on the 80 and if it isn't sold before we get back maybe we'll go check it out.

bh4rnnr
10-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Clean, and it has LOCKERS! :thumb:

Looks like it has mirror adjustors to:eek: ......

corsair23
10-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Back to looking...:(

The '93 sold while I was sunning myself in FL and the LX doesn't have lockers and I've decided to stick with a FZJ80 to take advantage on the lower cost of parts etc in general...

So, now I'm looking at maybe going to see the one nakman linked to although really it is out of my price range...There is also one down in Clovis NM (posted on MUD) but that one is expensive as well and despite the glowing report by the owner there appears to be some issues such as the airbag light being on etc. That is a far way to buy a FZJ80 site unseen and then to travel down to buy it...

So, back on the hunt...anyone here pick up a locked green '93 FZJ80 w/ 127K for around $7700 lately? Hoping it went to a good home :)

Romer
10-24-2006, 06:05 PM
why do you think there is a difference in prices? I buy all my parts from cruiserdan or a local Toyota dealership. The couple of parts that are the different, some Toyota's can get them at our discount.

I always order parts for a 97 FZJ80.

corsair23
10-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Ken,

Maybe I am "mis-informed"...I know a lot of the parts are the same but I had heard/read that when it comes to service often one pays a "premium" at a Lexus dealership compared to Toyota...Reality for me at this point in time is that anything other than minor maintenance will probably be done by a dealership. I know, I really should do my own and "learn" but it comes down to time and having none...One of the reason my poor 40 sits in the garage so much :(

Will a Toyota dealership work on a Lexus and vice versa? I don't see why not but...In any event, the LX450 I was looking at is not locked and it seems the LX450 is even more rare than the FZJ80...

isotel
10-25-2006, 04:25 PM
i dont see why not, The LX is the same truck, just different badge/Trim.. Yea yea i know there are other little things. but 95% of the parts are the same exact part as the toyota version

So, back on the hunt...anyone here pick up a locked green '93 FZJ80 w/ 127K for around $7700 lately? Hoping it went to a good home
EDIT: nevermind, saw it on craigslist, that was a STEAL!!
was this one here in colorado springs?? if so i looked at it for my brother, nice truck, but lots of little things falling apart on it.. and some rust around the windshield.. it also looked like a Respray on the paint!

Im guessing this one is gone http://denver.craigslist.org/car/217287702.html

corsair23
10-25-2006, 04:29 PM
was this one here in colorado springs?? if so i looked at it for my brother, nice truck, but lots of little things falling apart on it.. and some rust around the windshield.. it also looked like a Respray on the paint!

No...The one I mentioned above was in the Conifer area...From what I could tell it was part of a large cruiser family and was well taken care of...I snoozed so I losed :o

wesintl
10-27-2006, 01:38 PM

STEER CLEAR of this one.

Guy at work wanted it. I told him to take it to christo to get it checked out. He wanted it before Christo could check it out and had the toy shop do it. He never asked the guy if it had been wrecked but he never told him either.

Damage front, rear, door didn't close perfectly, alignment out, spare toast. :blah: :blah: :blah:

Aparantly the guy was none too happy to hear he had to dance but didn't get a kiss when it was over. :rant:

More fish in the sea.:thumb:

corsair23
10-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks Wes!!

The wife decided white was not a preferred color choice so we never went to look at it. And at $13K it was a little more than I was looking to spend.