PDA

View Full Version : Wanted! Help putting on timing chain on 22RE

Evrgrnmtnman
10-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Well, after finally figuring the reason I wasn't getting spark was because I had a broken timing chain on my 88 Pickup w/22RE! Looking for someone that might be able to help($$$) me install a new timing chain. I'm up on the lake in St. Mary's............any assistance would be appreciated.
C.J.
303-549-7270

nuclearlemon
10-12-2006, 06:39 PM
l just did my 22r...they're really easy. when are you planning on doing it?

Evrgrnmtnman
10-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Probably this weekend or whatever is convienent for someone. I already have started doing some of the initial part removal. Don't plan on taking the head off..........No big hurry, but would like to get it running....

treerootCO
10-12-2006, 08:25 PM
my advice is don't replace the timing chain if it is an ignitor problem :D

Sorry Ige, too easy

Evrgrnmtnman
10-12-2006, 08:45 PM
my advice is don't replace the timing chain if it is an ignitor problem :D

Sorry Ige, too easy

Currently, the present timing chain is hanging from the rear view mirror......:D

nuclearlemon
10-12-2006, 09:16 PM
you don't need to pull the head or the oil pan, just grill, radiator, fan, i think i pulled the oil pump, but not the water pump (or was it the other way around?). all the power steering/alternator crap. the front cover hopefully will pop out from between the oil pan and head. there's one bolt that you have to get out from under the valve cover in the front galley where the upper gear is. and, i think at least one on the right side back of the cover and two or three on the left side back.

Evrgrnmtnman
10-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Sounds like you went in from the front. I was going to try taking the skid plate, radiator shroud, and fan off, but try to keep the radiator on going from the bottom. However, you probably have better access doing it your way. Did you buy the complete kit with cover for yours and where did you buy yours?

nuclearlemon
10-13-2006, 09:35 AM
i just got the gasket and chain kit from napa warehouse. easier to pull rad, cause then you can get in with an air gun and get the crank pulley off.

Evrgrnmtnman
10-13-2006, 03:15 PM
I have some people saying I should pull the head and look for bent valves. This truck was actually parked and idling at the time it broke. What are your thoughts?

Evrgrnmtnman
10-14-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm Stuck! Seems I've got everything off, and all the bolts out. Try tugging at it with no luck. Any advice getting that timing cover off????????

Evrgrnmtnman
10-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Got it off. Strange place for a bolt! Coming through the top of the cover from the head underneatth the distributor gears.