PDA

View Full Version : My FJ's shakedown tragedy

lfd270ben
10-16-2006, 06:22 PM
you fj restorests probably should not read this it might make you sick.....................................................
so sunday I decided to take my fj to left hand for a shakedown run to see how it handled the trails it was going great until I decided to push it to its limits and go over three or for huge rocks and then it all began made it over two great then during the third one my fj decided to jump into a tree no big deal cause of the cage right? wrong because I had the top on no doors but the top was on ( trust me I know how stupid of an Idea that was) so anyway the tree sandwiched the roof againest the cage and then ripped off the top and it fell 10+ feet to the ground and shattered both side windows and separeted some of the roof from the gutter. after that I decided to take it alittle easier so I took fr 286 and I was going around a switchback at the top and dropped the two front tires off a edge 2ft ( no big deal because of my huge tires right?) wrong I was reversing and heard a terrible snapping noise and i am pretty sure my berfield met its maker so 2 jeeps later I am back on the trail but in the process my steering crossover bar snapped so I couldnt even drive my 2wd fj down the mountain. so I took what was left of the crossover off and caught a ride home re-welded and reinforced it went back bolted it on and limped home.......
so it definetly was a shakedown now I need :
longfields
winch
lexan windows
lockers
power steering
disc brakes
auto tranny maybe (which one? th400? suggestions?)
gears
exhaust
and a beer!
and Yes I do have pictures but I cant figure out how to Resize them so they will fit?

MDH33
10-16-2006, 06:42 PM
...2 jeeps later I am back on the trai...

UGH!! :eek:

That sucks man.

And to add insult to injury you had to be rescued by *eeps! :(

If you want to email your pics, I can host/post them for you.
My email is fjforty @ gmail.com

Better luck on your next run! Now go have a :beer:

subzali
10-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Irfanview is a free download that resizes pics pretty well.

Sorry to hear about your mini-epic.

nakman
10-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Dang, sorry to hear about all the carnage Ben! You can use *ahem* Paint to resize your images too. Just Image, Stretch & Skew, then scale it down & save as a .jpg.

MDH33
10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Note: can this post be moved into the General catagory instead of the Event Staging Area?

lfd270ben sent me the pics of his unfortunate test ride:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/103621553-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/103621553-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/103621605-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/103621623-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/103621645-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/103621685-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/103621720-M.jpg

Hulk
10-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Note: can this post be moved into the General catagory instead of the Event Staging Area?
Done. :cool:

wesintl
10-18-2006, 10:33 PM
bummer on the top... Question though was it bolted down? I just don't see how a tree like that could rip the hard top off a cruiser? did it happen against that pine in the pics?

treerootCO
10-18-2006, 10:38 PM
It was only the bezel trying to right itself :D

Nick F.
10-18-2006, 11:17 PM
I was only the bezel trying to right itself :D
Too funny :hill: :lmao:

lfd270ben
10-19-2006, 10:20 PM
bummer on the top... Question though was it bolted down? I just don't see how a tree like that could rip the hard top off a cruiser? did it happen against that pine in the pics?
no it wasnt I know bad Idea truck was missing hdwr and yes pine did it I wanted a soft top anyway

lfd270ben
10-19-2006, 10:21 PM
I was only the bezel trying to right itself :D
Quite possibly all I know Is I had a hella of alotc of fun doing it

farnhamstj
10-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Are you running stock r&p? with 38's? if you have 1K for your tranny project maybe consider gears, locker or spool and doing your steering right. (even that could eat your 1K) someone will have some glass for you for cheep if you ask around. Glad to hear you have a cage and good seatbelts but maybe focus on safety issues for alittle while. Big rigs are cool but getting hurt is not. Truck looks sweet btw

lfd270ben
10-22-2006, 10:18 PM
yep I plan on sinking another 3k into it by moab and all the things you stated are going into it, I plan on putting in:
4 spd, rock box from atlas 3.44:1 under drive, loc rite in the rear and selectable up front, 12,500 summit (tmax) winch, high steer 4x4 labs, minitruck front disks, tpi header, maybe fuel injection from holley, long field 27 spline inner and outer, chromoly rears, saginaw power steering
I think there is a misunderstanding with why I was doing the run, it was not done because I thought the rig was complete. It was done because I wanted to see what would fail, and I did now I know what I have to do to make it complete. so in my eyes the trip was successful. I am not new to fourwheeling but I am new to fj40s.and I completely agree with you safety Is paramount that is why I have spent almost 1500$ on safety equipment. thank you for the input I need as much help as I can get when selecting the right parts to put in because I am new to these amazingly tough trucks .

farnhamstj
10-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Good to hear. If you ask me a well set up cruiser needs heated leather seats, V8 efi, uphill buttons, auto, electric windows, sunroof, cupholders, and ifs. Probably in that order. I think you could live without the heated side mirrors. But, I only drove a 40 for 8 years so what do I know. Sounds like you've got more than your $1k budget spent. You got a good plan. Just don't go wheeling without the top bolted down again. I bet it made you jump pretty good when it came off. Were all try to be helpful here.....if encouraging you to empty your wallet is helpful.

Finally we walk home before we accept help from Jeeps, unless they got beer or it's raining

lfd270ben
10-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Good to hear. If you ask me a well set up cruiser needs heated leather seats, V8 efi, uphill buttons, auto, electric windows, sunroof, cupholders, and ifs. Probably in that order. I think you could live without the heated side mirrors. But, I only drove a 40 for 8 years so what do I know. Sounds like you've got more than your $1k budget spent. You got a good plan. Just don't go wheeling without the top bolted down again. I bet it made you jump pretty good when it came off. Were all try to be helpful here.....if encouraging you to empty your wallet is helpful.

Finally we walk home before we accept help from Jeeps, unless they got beer or it's raining
This is true that's why my daily driver is a 06 nissan frontier cc 6 spd, heated leather, and mirrors electric everything 3 inch lift 33s and full shrock works skids.

farnhamstj
10-23-2006, 07:10 PM
See we get along already. I'd recomend, saganaw steering 1st. R&P with rear locker 2nd. Wait on the rest. Carry a spare OEM birfield and know how to change it. Check that you can remove the 4mm hub cover bolts. Without front locker you "shouldn't" break in the front. Skip the lockrite with that size tire. Your doing R&P so change the carrier. Skip the cromoly axles until stuff breaks. You'll find more parts to fit 30 spline, I think. Have Marks offroad rebuild your stock carb. The closer to stock the less problems you'll have. You don't want to be the guy with the rig broken down in the parking lot before even getting on the trail. You sound like you've done some research on what makes a "bad ass cruiser" but "bad ass" in not very reliable. Pick Treeroots brain, he's full of good info for running big rubber. Head to the meeting next wednesday. Good people.

lfd270ben
10-25-2006, 11:47 PM
thanks for the advice but Im doing alot of the stuff as a matter of necessity I snapped a birfield and I was barely pushing it thats why Im going lonfield and doin the crawler box because this truck doesn't have low enoungh gears and ring and pinion with selectables front and rear will cost more than it would to put a crawler box in Plus the lower the gears the smaller the pinion head which would be another weak point. how do I contact marks offroad cause I could do it but they could probably do it better. I can go to the meeting but I dont have the cruiser good enough for the road so I would have to trailer it and I dont have a trailer so I dont knoe what the heck to do.
thanks
Ben

Hulk
10-26-2006, 10:53 AM
It's not a requirement to drive your Cruiser to the meeting. Come anyway, check out all the Cruisers in the parking lot, check out the meeting, go out for beer afterwards.

lfd270ben
10-26-2006, 09:53 PM
I really would like to but Im working I will make the meeting the next month thanks for the invitation though.