PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Moab Recovery Supply Kit (CMRSK)

Hulk
10-18-2006, 11:41 AM
This is the official thread for the Cruise Moab Recovery Supply Kit (CMRSK). What is the CMRSK, you might ask, and why do we need one? Here's the scoop.

What?
We are collecting parts that are commonly broken on trail runs. This includes axles, birfields, etc. Long-side FJ60 axle? Yes (maybe two)! Gaskets, c-clips, sealents, fluids -- we need it all.

Why?
In past events, we have had people stuck out on the trail for hours, waiting, while people back in Moab search for parts. If we have a parts stash in our trailer, we'll be able to supply our recovery teams with parts quicker and provide better support. We have a "Leave No Person Behind" policy, and that includes not leaving our own trail repair experts stranded with very little support.

Please use this thread for:
a) suggestions needed parts in our inventory
b) items you are willing to donate.

The Cruise Moab committee thanks you, as will your comrades in need sometime in the future.

nakman
10-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Yee haw! As we get closer to the event we can turn this into a "master list," and we'll update the list at the event too based on what folks declare at tech inspection.

a) long side 60 axles for sure. Also 4.88 ring & pinions.

b) as of now I've got 2 40 birfields & most of the gaskets to replace them. Also have both a long & short front inner axles for an 80, and all the gaskets & tools necessary to replace them.

Groucho
10-18-2006, 01:25 PM
I will be on the lookout for what I might be able to donate, and I will fer sure donate one LS FJ60 axle.

Romer
10-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Also have both a long & short front inner axles for an 80, .

You had two sets of inner axles?

Matt clarification. By donate, that means to me that it goes to the trailer and stays there. i.e, anything I donate, I don't have as a personal spare from then on (after Moab).

MDH33
10-18-2006, 03:56 PM
This is a great idea. I have been thinking about stock-piling some spares for CM, but having a "club parts stash" trailer sounds even better, plus we won't all have to haul a vehicle full of greasy parts.

I have a complete 4.11 rear differential out of a 40 that I can donate. :thumb:

Hulk
10-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Matt clarification. By donate, that means to me that it goes to the trailer and stays there. i.e, anything I donate, I don't have as a personal spare from then on (after Moab).

We've discussed making a list of spare parts and who has them, rather than acquiring the parts. But this option has limitations:

1. Somebody has to make the list. With everything else we need to do to register people, inspect vehicles, organize trail runs, dinner, raffle, etc., this is yet another task that will need to be completed.

2. We need to make sure that we have parts late Saturday night. Romer, you'll probably be around until Sunday morning. But lots of people leave on Saturday afternoon, taking their spare parts with them. This has been a big problem, year after year.

I think a cache of spares, owned by RS, that will be on-site in the trailer until absolutely everyone is off the trail is the best possible solution. The more we can get donated, the better. We can certainly buy fluids, gaskets, and other small stuff.

One more positive: if we own the parts, we don't need to rebuild the inventory out of temporarily donated parts every year. Build it once and keep making it better, rather than starting from scratch every year.

nakman
10-18-2006, 04:41 PM
You had two sets of inner axles?

No, I only got that one set that's in your camper.. it'll be at CM right? :)

edit: I deleted my other response since Matt already answered it..

isotel
10-18-2006, 06:04 PM
ive got a set of FJ40 Rear Axle Shafts.. Any chance at a Discounted Entry for CM07 :p:

Ive also got a set of Minitruck Front Axle shafts for the cause.. I think the short side works as an FJ60 Short

Maybe this goes without saying, But if you Use a part from the Trailer, You need to replace it ASAP so its their for the next person..

Romer
10-18-2006, 06:07 PM
I think this is the right answer for us to have a set and I would even vote for some money to buy the typlicalls. Just want to clarify. Like I gave you (Tim) two birfs for a 40, and a set of gaskets to repair one side. You may want to donate one and keep one birf with the gaskets in case you break one on chinamans and the trailer isn't there. Not that anyone breaks down on Chinamans. Note: those birfs only work in a 76-78 front end. That rear short axle I gave you would get someone off the mountain, but I wouldn't run it a long time as the hub got banged a bit and tends to rub in one spot.

Just want to make sure I understand how this will work. And yes the axles will be at Moab through Sunday. They could go in the donate pile as they are yours. Your choice on that.

I also carry a full set of fluids that would happily give to someone who would need them on the trail.

Like I said, I think this is a great way to go, we should have a stash in the trailer. Much better situation then what we had last year.

I have some parts, I'll go through and see what I am willing to donate and what I want to retain as "always carry" spares.

nuclearlemon
10-18-2006, 06:52 PM
i'll donate a couple of course birfs, and complete gaskets/seals for front wheel and a t case output seal out of my stash.

74fj40
10-18-2006, 06:57 PM
If there's interest, we can donate a full stock early ('72) FJ40 rear axle (minus brake stuff)....

Hulk
10-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Start bringing parts to RS meetings. We're going to need an official Quartermaster, I think.

MDH33
10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Does the club have a designated trailer to haul this stuff in? Storage, etc?

Hulk
10-18-2006, 08:32 PM
We have a trailer.

treerootCO
10-18-2006, 09:04 PM
I thought Ben had the trailer :D

I'll donate a complete set of FJ40 inner axles. I bet I can find one of each style hub too. How about leafsprings? I have a pile of stock 40 ones.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but if at all possible, I think the parts should be clean and degreased.

Red_Chili
10-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Don't forget minitruck hubs, as mentioned front axle shafts, IFS CVs, an early and IFS rear axle shaft would be a good thing to have. How about if we throw together some square tube driveshafts? They can extend or compress greatly for many applications. Not sure about all the companion flange combos out there.

lfd270ben
10-19-2006, 10:27 PM
I will throw in one front birf and two inners

Groucho
10-20-2006, 06:50 AM
ive got a set of FJ40 Rear Axle Shafts.. Any chance at a Discounted Entry for CM07 :p:

Ive also got a set of Minitruck Front Axle shafts for the cause.. I think the short side works as an FJ60 Short

Maybe this goes without saying, But if you Use a part from the Trailer, You need to replace it ASAP so its their for the next person..

I will second the motion to replace ASAP after use.
I would assume that as long as the part was replaced before CM registration the following year, that would do. Good idea! :thumb:

Chances for discounted entry for CM is available by being a TRAIL LEADER and receiving your $$$. :help:

Sign up! Go out and pre run something so you can be a Leader! Get involved! Make this event awesome by donating your love of wheeling by being Leaders and Gunners! :perry:

See this thread for more info:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2300

ScaldedDog
10-20-2006, 11:54 PM
I've got a couple (1 left, 1 right) of 86 and up rear mintruck axle shafts, complete including drum brakes, I'll donate. They don't break all that often, but if they do, you need 'em bad! :D

Mark

isotel
10-23-2006, 02:10 PM
ive also got a T-case Front output i can toss in.. Woody has broken one, so its possible, lol
Im going to bring the stuff up to Jim, he will bring it to a meeing ASAP..

arent minitruck shafts the same size R and L??

i dont know that i could lead a trip, as ive only run 2 or 3 trails in moab, but once i know the terrain better id be willing!

bigbluefj
10-26-2006, 10:02 PM
i will have with me next year everything that i broke this year plus a few extra's complete 3rd 4.88, left and right knuckel's, spare rear axle, a knuckel rebuild kit,and any thing else i can get in the truck and if some want's or need's it they can have it. plus a few extra tool's that we needed on the trail...

thanks again to everyone who helped...

kevin

MDH33
11-04-2006, 06:22 PM
I have a bunch of extra fj40 shackles, pins and bushings I'll donate. Plus I'm still in for the stock '73 diff.

Rzeppa
11-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Notes:

Short side axle half shafts are interchangeable from 1968-up for 40, 55 and 60 series. (1967 and earlier are 10 spline, 1968-up are 30 spline). Long side vary, 40/55 are same same, 70 are a little wider but can be made to work, 60 are longer and 80 are longer yet. Interchangeability amongst birfields is as follows: Early to 1967 use ball and claw joint, not birfields. Few if any of our participants will be running these. 1968-1975 will use 10 spline birfs, again rare for our group, but I run them and carry spares. 1976-1978 will use long 27 spline birfs, which are also rare. These were the first disk front brake birfs. Most common are the shorter 27 spline mini/runner/cruiser birfs from 79-89. These can be used for the 76-78 applications with a large fender washer and M8x1.25 bolt because the circlip doesn't reach. 80 series only fit 0 series, they are much bigger than 40/55/60/70 series.

There are at least 4 different companion flange patterns Toyota has used on their 4x4s, not to mention fine versus coarse spline.

This does not even touch non-Toyota parts or many of the other variations of parts that might get broken.

In summary, while it is a noble cause to offer a Cruise Moab inventory of spare parts that might get broken, I do not believe that Cruise Moab should buy and inventory spare parts because of the many variations. I believe that it is worthwhile to list and inventory spare parts that participants bring with them. Happy cruisin'!

Beater
11-13-2006, 05:10 PM
anyone want to hit up premier power welder for a ready welder or 3? Demo angle? I know I welded more than one person up on the trail...

tigerstripe40
12-26-2006, 09:51 PM
I would agree with Jeff here.

I could bring a slew of spare parts, since I am bringing both trucks this year.
Everything from spare knuckels and leaf springs, to FJ40 and FJ60 inners, knuckles, studs, a spare t-case, t-case gears, etc.

However, these are going home with me if they aren't used.

:D

Hulk
12-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Folks, this isn't a debate.

If you have parts that you are willing to donate, great. If you want to make parts available while you are at the event, that is fine too.

However, we've had too many breakdowns on the trail late Saturday afternoon, and the only guy with replacement parts is hundreds of miles away, having left early.

We've already made the decision to collect some commonly needed parts.

The only questions we're asking here are:
1. What parts are essential to have in our Supply Kit?
2. Is anyone willing to donate any of these parts? Or sell 'em cheap?

Please, let's stay on topic.

Romer
12-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Do you have a list of what he have vs. should have? No reason to get 10 short side 40 axles.

tigerstripe40
12-27-2006, 10:11 AM
The only questions we're asking here are:
1. What parts are essential to have in our Supply Kit?
2. Is anyone willing to donate any of these parts? Or sell 'em cheap?

Please, let's stay on topic.

80 series drive plates (can be used on 40's and 60's as well in case of a broken hub).
steering knuckles, both patterns.
Steering arms, both patterns.
steering knuckle studs.
knuckle rebuild kits with trunion bearings.
Spare 4.11 third member.
rear axle shafts for both 40 and 60 series.
C-clips for rear.
diff cover gaskets
stock FJ40 leaf springs.

nuclearlemon
12-27-2006, 03:53 PM
i am donating two course birfs, one of which is attached to the short side axle shaft (which will work on all stock 40/55/60 axles).

leiniesred
01-10-2007, 12:12 PM
JKimmel would like to donate (meaning Rising Sun stores it) an R150 Manual mini-truck transmission. This is a V6 mini-truck trans used from 1988 to 1995. It won't bolt to a 4cyl.

Ours for the asking, take it or leave it?

Red_Chili
01-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Take it. Can trade for other more breakable stuff, or even craigslist it for funds to buy parts. IMHO.

corsair23
01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a Birfield that came with my '76 as a spare part...Not positive it is for a '76 and truthfully I don't have a clue if it is useable. Looks good to me with some surface rust but...

If it is useable and needed I'd like it to go into the fund - If someone can look at it or tell me what to look for/at to determine if it is healthy that would be great.

Hulk
01-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Bring all the stuff to the next meeting. Or we can meet to pick up. Thanks, guys!

Bobzooki
02-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Let's see...I have some Warn hubs for a Sidekick...er...wait a minute - I can't even use those any more, because I have Toyota hubs now...

:blah:

nakman
02-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey seriously, will the trailer be at the next RS meeting? Or will the guy who currently has the trailer be there, and be willing to accept part donations?

MDH33
03-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Hey seriously, will the trailer be at the next RS meeting? Or will the guy who currently has the trailer be there, and be willing to accept part donations?

I still have that FJ40 third member I'm willing to donate, but I don't want to haul it to a meeting unless the trailer is there. Don't want to haul that thing around longer than needed. :hill: I have a bunch of stock shackles, bolts and new bushings I'll throw in as well.

Red_Chili
03-06-2007, 08:37 AM
My son has minitruck IFS halfshafts to donate. One needs a boot, we'll take care of that if you think these would be useful.

CVs do go birfie from time to time, with lockers...

ScaldedDog
03-06-2007, 06:47 PM
So, is the trailer going to be there? I've got two 86+ rear minitruck axles, with brakes attached, I'd be willing to donate.

Mark

corsair23
04-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Question for the CMRSK folks

I have a fairly complete set of cooling systems hoses (except for the PHH which I ripped to sh&% :rant:) that to my untrained eye look perfectly fine :rolleyes:

Would these be something good to have in the trailer (boxed and labled)? Maybe something to have for Rubithon?

rock_wagon
02-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Is this trailer going to be at CM this year? Can it fit anymore parts?

For Donation:
1 - 80 series rear control arm

I bent the crud out of one of my rear control arms last year on Poison spider and replaced it with some Slee's, I saved the good one and would like to donate it rather than have it gather dust in the garage. I know I could have used it last year on the drive home!

Hulk
02-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Sure, bring it along and we'll put it in the trailer.

Shark Bait
04-09-2009, 12:02 AM
I've got 2 sets of used early-1978 Land Cruiser knuckle studs, cone washers, washers & nuts and also right & left 9/75-1978 Land Cruiser steering knuckles I can donate to the cause. Can I met up with someone before you pack the trailer? :D

rhyary
03-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I am bringing spares, but not donating them.
Do you also have a thread somewhere of list of spares not donated?
Or the method is to just broadcast on the radio: "need rely rod for an 80"

Just wondering