PDA

View Full Version : 80 series suspension

Yossarian
10-20-2006, 09:35 AM
This topic has been discussed on Mud, but I would like to get a local's opinion. I just sold my 90 4runner, now I have the funds to do the suspension on my 97 LC. I was going to go with the OME OEM kit Slee sells, but I see there is much debate about the OME shock. I had Bilstein's on the runner with a slight lift and they performed well. I see on Mud that which Bilsteins you get can be an issue to dure to valving. How about OEM shocks with the OME OEM springs? This vehicle is a DD and 800+ mile highway drives are commen, so retaining its road manners is a must. Thanks in advance for any input.

Nay
10-20-2006, 09:41 AM
You are talking the stock height OME kit?

I think Bilstein is simply a superior shock for the price range, but I think you'd be happy with either. I believe Bilstein does have a specific pin mount shock for stock height 80's, so it will be valved specifically for the 80.

Nay

Romer
10-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Depends on what size lift. If your effective lift will be 3" or less, I would go with the OME N shock. Just buy the hole kit so you can get the castor correction. The road manners of the OME shock are great and they are designed for offroad use as well.

If you don't have a lot of accessories (Bumpers, winch, etc.) I would get the OME Med 2.5" kit. You can update the springs easily as you add accessories. Like I am now running 850J's in the front and 863's in the back based on the added accessories.

Yossarian
10-20-2006, 10:24 AM
The OME stock height kit. I think it's .25 front / .75 rear, from Slee's website. I'm going to Fruita this weekend, and with all the gear it'll sag, and sway all over the road. Not planing on adding bumpers, etc. as I mainly do excursion type of stuff, not rock crawl, or mud bog, though that can be fun. When you do 80 on the freeway with a stiff crosswind, to much lift would compound the barn door effect. On Mud, someone said the OME shocks were stiff, which is ok w/me, but there reliability sucks, true?

nakman
10-20-2006, 10:46 AM
I didn't know OME reliability sucked, crap this whole time I've had sucky shocks? They seem great to me.. on their 4th year (and I actually wheel sometimes too) :)

If you stay at stock height there's no reason to swap shocks, you could always do it later if you didn't like how it rides. But I still think OME is an upgrade over stock, IMHO... never ran Billsteins on an 80 though but maybe FJBen will pipe up.. ;)

Yossarian
10-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Seems to be the "opinion" on Mud.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=84929&highlight=bilstein+shocks

But, its just opinions, and sometimes not so humble.

I think the suspension is soft the way it is, so the OME shocks might be the way to go, besides, they are supposed to be matched to the springs.

FJBen
10-20-2006, 02:43 PM
I have recently switched to Bilsteins on the rear of my 80. Haven't got the fronts purchased yet. I can give you a psuedo review...but our situations are VERY different. :D

#1 I'm on 5" of lift, 35" tires no swaybars or panhards adjusters (hopefully this weekend) and I went to the bilstein as I was currently over the longest side OME had. So I'm running a 14" travel shock in the 5125 series and I'm sure there are valving differences between my shocks and the OEM replacements. So take my review as just that....a small grain of salt...lol

The best I can describe them so far is smoother/not as harsh reacting as the OME's. Now don't get me wrong, I thought the OME's rode great, a firmer ride which isn't bad at all. They seem to soak up the bumps a little better. So far I like them, but will have a better idea once I get the panhards done and the front shocks to Bilsteins.

Personally I still really liked the Old Man Emu's and that would be my first recommendation as I have NO idea how the stock height Bilsteins would do.

Yossarian
10-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. This weekends outing underscored the need to update the suspension, a call is going in to Slee in about 5 min. Romer did his best to talk me into the 2.5 kit, but I think I'll do the stock for now. If I need/want to change later then a few "I told you so's will be coming my way".