PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with this FZJ80?

corsair23
10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
From MUD and one I have mentioned:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=116660

The seller sent me pictures :confused: of the carfax report and it was originally a CO vehicle. Registered as a corp fleet lease for the first 3 yrs (11/97) of its life racking up 62K miles...Then sold at an auto auction (maybe not unusual for a corp lease vehicle?) in Feb '01 to owner #2 and titled down in Pueblo. After that don't know?? Asking seller questions as I can think of them.

Currently the vehicle is in Clovis NM so it is too far just to run down and check it out. I asked the seller if he would be willing to take it to get it inspected (on my dime) but no answer yet...

Main issues appear to be the tree "sap" on the hood and the airbag light being on...

So, anyone know this FZJ80? Any comments? And would any of you drive an 80 500 miles home with the airbag light on? At $12K+ it is more than I was really wanting to spend and it will probably cost me another $500-$1000 to fly down, stay, and drive it back but I like the color and options...

As always thanks in advance for all the awesome help you all are providing!! I hope I can one day repay all of your kindness...

corsair23
10-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Just received this from the seller...Also forgot that the antenna doesn't work...Seems to be common with Toyotas/Lexus'
Yes I bought it from the second owner from Colorado. The only reason he
sold it to me was because it was an extra vehicle and he wanted to make room in his garage. He said the one time he took it down a dirt road, he decided that it was to nice of a vehicle to take off the pavement. So he bought a suburban. He said he put new brakes on it approx. a year ago, he replaced the belts approx. a year ago.

I was told he had all the receipts for the work, however last I talked to
him he was still going thru his file cabinet trying to find them. I am pretty sure the air bag light just needs to be reset. I will take it to my toyota dealership here and have them do that in the next day or two. As far as I can tell the airbag has not been deployed.

The sap really just depends how the sunlight is hitting the hood. I would
think a good buff would take a lot of it off. Did you get the pictures of
the hood?

Yes I suppose I could get a inspection at the toyota dealership here. As
long as you would pay for it thats fine.

Romer
10-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Where is clovis? There are a few other mudders who might be able to look at it for you like Alia176 or Beowulf ro even cruiserdan. Maybe he could meet one of them or they could bring it to American Toyota (where Dan works) and the tech and he could look at it.

nakman
10-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Clovis is way east NM, almost Texas. If you bought it and could get it closer to I-25, like Albuquerque, I may be willing to drive it back up here for you, will be coming that way on the way back from Tucson after Thanksgiving. But like if it was already parked outside American Toyota, that would work. hth..

Don't sweat the antenna, not sure on the airbag light though but it wouldn't scare me driving home, just bring some electrical tape. :)

wsdavies
10-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Don't forget to calculate the cost of replacing the head gasket in your initial assessment. :)
________
Vaporgenie Price (http://vaporizer.org)

corsair23
10-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Chatted with the guy about transport...He is willing to pick a person up in either Amarillo or Lubbock TX from the airport but not Albuquerque...He could get it to Albuquerque for $150 (gas and driver)...From some of his statements I get the impression the guy sells cars for a living but not sure.

I checked on flights from Denver to Amarillo or Lubbock and that is a no go pretty much. Albuquerque would be a breeze. Clovis actually not much harder then either a 5 or 8 hour drive home. Why can't these seemingly nice 80s be local :(

The other option would be having it shipped. Would be great to find a local cruiserhead to look it over for me but I'm thinking I'll be lucky if the local Toyota dealership can check it out. If not, I don't think it is worth the risk and cost...

Hulk
10-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Let me just say this: the head gasket isn't going to blow the day you get your new 80 series home. I bought mine used 2 years ago. Head gasket is fine, and I'm at 125K+ now.

The airbag light was on in my vehicle when I picked it up. Bad sensor. Cost was several hundred bucks, IIRC. Didn't make any difference driving it, except for looking at the annoying light.

Price seems a little high, but it does look clean.

Romer
10-25-2006, 02:35 PM
I did a search on Mud, there were 4 pages of results, but this might be helpful to have it looked over

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=103473&highlight=lubbock

corsair23
10-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks Ken! Is there a class one can take on doing MUD searches? :)

I more often than not come up empty on my searches...Now, to find someone in Clovis if the Toyota dealership route doesn't come through...Any reason to think a Toyota dealership inspection would be inadequate? My experience has been that dealerships tend to find more wrong with a vehicle than might really exist...

sleeoffroad
10-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Just FYI, I will have a 97 40th Anniversary with lockers for sale in a couple of weeks. It was a fellow mudders truck. 148k miles. It had some damage to the ds door, front fender and hood. Right now it is in the body shop being repaired with all new Toyota parts. We will go through the truck and check maintenance and what needs to be done before it sells. Not sure on final price. $10-$12k range

Hulk
10-26-2006, 10:58 AM
corsair23, I just sent you a PM.

corsair23
10-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks all for the help.

Slee, I would be interested in pics if you have any of the '97

Matt, PM'd you back. Thanks! :)

Romer
10-26-2006, 01:00 PM
So you buying Matt's 80?

Hulk
10-26-2006, 01:03 PM
No no no. My 80 ain't for sale. Well, it's for sale at the right price I guess. Anyway...

I have a line on an 80 that is not yet up for sale. I figured I'd give Jeff advance notice before it goes on the block, since he is seriously lookin'. It's a 1993 and it has the magic dial.

corsair23
10-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Well no trip for me to NM as the 80 sold yesterday as the inspection I asked the seller to have done was being done :( ... Back to the search

If anyone needs to sell an 80 just have me show some interest and I bet it will sell quick :)

I seem to have a "gift" or something...I'm beginning to think the Cruiser Gods are mad at me for something. :eek:

Bighead
10-27-2006, 01:46 PM
I feel your pain. I have been looking for an 80 for almost a year and a half and all the ones I had an interest in usually sold while I was on a business trip or somebody had already thrown a deposit down before I could get out and see it.

Christo, when the 97 goes up for sale are you posting the pics on your site?

Hulk
10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Well no trip for me to NM as the 80 sold yesterday as the inspection I asked the seller to have done was being done :(

That sucks -- sold right out from under you. Did you contact the guy I told you about?

corsair23
10-27-2006, 02:35 PM
That sucks -- sold right out from under you. Did you contact the guy I told you about?

Yeppers! :)

Thank you very much for the tip! He said he will try to get me some pics and details as soon as he can. Might even have 2 for sale so we will see. I also sent a PM yesterday to Christo/Slee re: the one he mentioned to get specifics if possible.

corsair23
10-27-2006, 02:38 PM
I feel your pain. I have been looking for an 80 for almost a year and a half and all the ones I had an interest in usually sold while I was on a business trip or somebody had already thrown a deposit down before I could get out and see it.

Christo, when the 97 goes up for sale are you posting the pics on your site?

EDIT EDIT EDIT WARNING : See here from Wes
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=19797&postcount=23

Lance,

Do you like white? There was a white '96 FZJ80 with factory lockers on craigslist a little bit ago:

{Removed the craigslist link}

Only 100K miles but $13K. :Princess: doesn't care for white so much and the $$ was more than I was looking to spend. Need $$ for accessories you know :)

wesintl
10-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I just posted about that one... Stay away.. been wrecked

Bighead
10-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Lance,

Do you like white? There was a white '96 FZJ80 with factory lockers on craigslist a little bit ago:

{Removed the craigslist link}

Only 100K miles but $13K. :Princess: doesn't care for white so much and the $$ was more than I was looking to spend. Need $$ for accessories you know :)
Thanks for the heads up. The only color I am not really good with is black. Damn near any other color works for me.

I have been looking at 80-series LC and LXs but have also been looking at 100s. I've even had a couple at Christo's shop for an inspection...just never pulled the trigger. Since this is a 3rd vehicle for the wife and I, a 96-97 LC/LX works better for our budget. The last LX450 I found I liked is the one Romer ended up buying for his daughter (according to the 'Mud posts).

corsair23
10-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up. The only color I am not really good with is black. Damn near any other color works for me.

I have been looking at LC and LXs but have also been looking at 100s. I've even had a couple at Christo's shop for an inspection...just never pulled the trigger. Since this is a 3rd vehicle for the wife and I, a 96-97 LC/LX works better for our budget. The last LX450 I found I liked is the one Romer ended up buying for his daughter (according to the 'Mud posts).

Do you need factory lockers? If not I saw a white '97 LX450 up in Greeley for sale at A&H Auto Gallery (whoever they are), 6th one down on the list...130K on it for $10.9K

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&bkms=1161981344184&search_type=both&distance=300&address=80126&style_flag=1&make=LEXUS&model=LX450&make2=&start_year=1981&end_year=2007&min_price=&max_price=&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&x=82&y=13 (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&bkms=1161981344184&search_type=both&distance=300&address=80126&style_flag=1&make=LEXUS&model=LX450&make2=&start_year=1981&end_year=2007&min_price=&max_price=&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&x=82&y=13)

(sorry can't tiny url it from work :( - Most I could figure out how to do was make it smaller)

If you don't like black then this one is not for you :lmao:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=205278492&dealer_id=58103933&car_year=1997&search_type=both&num_records=25&make=LEXUS&model=LX450&transmission=&distance=300&address=80126&make2=&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&bkms=1161981344184&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2007&color=&start_year=1981&drive=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=46 (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=205278492&dealer_id=58103933&car_year=1997&search_type=both&num_records=25&make=LEXUS&model=LX450&transmission=&distance=300&address=80126&make2=&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&bkms=1161981344184&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2007&color=&start_year=1981&drive=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=46)

FJBen
10-27-2006, 03:56 PM
I can look at the one in Greeley if you want, it's only a few blocks from my house. They go to auctions and buy vehicles. My friend bought his clean 97 there w/lockers and so far it's been fine.

I know that LX has been there for a few months tho.

corsair23
10-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Lance,

Here is another one I came across in Craigslist...Know nothing about it

http://rockies.craigslist.org/car/225718442.html

Bighead
10-27-2006, 05:34 PM
That one in Greeley looks interesting. I did come across that a few days ago when I was cruising Autotrader. OEM lockers would be nice but if the condition and price were right I would probably go for it and put some ARBs in later.

Hulk
10-27-2006, 05:51 PM
If you don't like black then this one is not for you :lmao:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=205278492&dealer_id=58103933&car_year=1997&search_type=both&num_records=25&make=LEXUS&model=LX450&transmission=&distance=300&address=80126&make2=&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&bkms=1161981344184&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2007&color=&start_year=1981&drive=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=46

Those wheels and "bull bar" have got to go. Now the graphics on the side are a whole 'nother story. :hill:

Hulk
10-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Here is another one I came across in Craigslist...Know nothing about it

http://rockies.craigslist.org/car/225718442.html

With those 15" wheels, it's probably a '91 or '92. That means you get the 3FE engine (underpowered), no lockers, drum brakes in the rear. I had a '92 -- take it from me, the '93-97 years are much better.

Bighead
10-27-2006, 09:00 PM
With those 15" wheels, it's probably a '91 or '92. That means you get the 3FE engine (underpowered), no lockers, drum brakes in the rear. I had a '92 -- take it from me, the '93-97 years are much better.
That is a bit older than I would want.

Corsair...I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread with my vehicle search. Give me the word and I will stay out. :cheers:

corsair23
10-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Not a problem Lance!

We're both on the same mission so if I can help you out and vice versa all the better! :)

Bighead
10-29-2006, 11:36 AM
I can look at the one in Greeley if you want, it's only a few blocks from my house. They go to auctions and buy vehicles. My friend bought his clean 97 there w/lockers and so far it's been fine.
I may take you up on that. I have tried e-mailing and calling the guy but have yet to get a response.

I know that LX has been there for a few months tho.
That alone makes me wonder if there is something wrong with it. The only one I have really seen advertised for a long time was that bling-mobile Corsair linked me to.

corsair23
10-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Lance,

You might want to try calling the guy. He emailed me back the next day answering the locker question...Name is Farhad IIRC. I mentioned in a reply to him that I passed along the details to an interested party. I think he has it listed on Craigslist as well now.

There was also a black one down in COS w/out lockers but I know you said black wasn't your color...