PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a '96 FZJ80 from RI?

corsair23
10-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Aside from costing a ton to ship it any thoughts? Rust issues with a NE vehicle?
Burgundy (which should pass the :Princess:'s color test), 126K, factory lockers, and definitely in my price range (depending on shipping)...

TIA!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190046143630&fromMakeTrack=true

Hulk
10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
I bought a midwest vehicle (Wisconsin/Illinois), against Christo's advice. If I had to do it again, I'd buy from a state with fewer corrosion issues.

corsair23
10-31-2006, 01:45 AM
I bought a midwest vehicle (Wisconsin/Illinois), against Christo's advice. If I had to do it again, I'd buy from a state with fewer corrosion issues.

Thanks for the response Matt. In looking at the pictures, especially of the engine, I'm thinking I'll pass. There are just so many nice ones East of us :)

Any thoughts on TX vehicles from the coastal areas (i.e. Houston) or say from IA ;) etc? When you consider how scarce a FZJ80 is in the first place and then on top of that cut out a good chuck of the country for various reasons finding the right one may take a long time...Oh well, in the end waiting for the right one to pop up will be worth it!

Kipper
10-31-2006, 10:07 AM

I did the same thing. Everytime you go to do anything under the truck, like replace shocks, remove skid plate, etc. you're drilling out broken bolts. Every 20 minute job turns into a 3 hour job.

I think you're fine with trucks from Houston, there's no salt in the air down there like you might think. Rust is just not a problem in TX. All you need is one pic from the engine compartment to tell if it's rusty though. If anything under there has rust, you can bet everything under it is rusty.