PDA

View Full Version : Tools/help needed

MDH33
10-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone who is equipped with air tools and a cutting torch could help me out. I need to replace the shackles and U bolts on the 40 but I'm only succeeding in busting my knuckles trying to do this without the proper tools. Impact wrench, air hammer and cutting torch would probably make this a one hour job. I wish I had the cash to drop on a bunch of new tools, but it's not in the budget right now. If anyone has the gear and can help me out for a couple of hours I'll gladly repay you in the :beer: of your choice. :drink: Thanks! :thumb:

:weld:

nakman
10-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Can you get the nuts off, but can't press out the bolts? Or can you not get the nuts off? And are the nuts oriented pointing towards the center of the truck? If so it lets you use a press or hilift...

MDH33
10-30-2006, 10:56 AM
On the front shackles, the nuts faced away from center and came off fine, but the bolts are seized in place. I tried going at them with a sledge hammer and mushroomed the ends but couldn't knock them out. The shackles may need to be torched off or possibly the bolts could be forced out with an air hammer and punch (?) Also, some of the Ubolts and plates are rock-mangled and might need to be cut off.

Red_Chili
10-30-2006, 11:14 AM
I can help... unfortunately, in a couple months when I get my new shop set up!

Just cut the whole mess off and reverse 'em! (Easy for me to say...)

wesintl
10-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Go down to HD or Ace, etc. Get $10 mapp gas torch. It'll heat up those bushings enough to get soft and catch on fire and melt. It'll take a tad longer than oxy/act but it'll get the job done. Heat is what cha need :thumb:

MDH33
10-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Go down to HD or Ace, etc. Get $10 mapp gas torch. It'll heat up those bushings enough to get soft and catch on fire and melt. It'll take a tad longer than oxy/act but it'll get the job done. Heat is what cha need :thumb:

Good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks. :)

Hulk
10-30-2006, 04:31 PM
What part of town are you in? You can come by my garage and we can work on it. I have an air chisel, etc. I also have a MAPP gas set-up, but I think I'm out of oxygen -- you can buy the bottles at Sears. I'm in Centennial, zip 80122, near Dry Creek & Holly.

IanB
10-31-2006, 06:36 AM
I have everything you need and can cut those off in a New York minute. I am in town (Louisville) most weekends if you still need help.

MDH33
10-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the offers everyone. I borrowed a propane torch from my neighbor and I'm going to try melting out the bushings tonight. Seems like it should work.

One of the Ubolt plates is mangled and will probably need to be cut off. I'm waiting for new plates to arrive.