PDA

View Full Version : Stevinson West FJ40 on the bay...

FJBen
11-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Starting bid $35,690 :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-FJ40-LOW-ORIGINAL-MILES-ONE-OF-A-KIND_W0QQitemZ280044098137QQihZ018QQcategoryZ133219QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i21.ebayimg.com/06/i/08/d3/71/91_3.JPG

Groucho
11-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Unless one of the above mentioned people(or similar) go for it, my money says they won't get any bids. From experience I have learned that unless someone is independently wealthy, buyers won't bother with something like this.
Whos got the odds on this bet? Don Ehrlick?

wesintl
11-03-2006, 11:24 AM
All I know is we need to get derricks permission and right the parts truck bezel at the next meeting. I'll bring the screwdriver.... :lmao:

gr8fulabe
11-03-2006, 12:03 PM
anyone know what they are actually asking for it at the dealership? Maybe I will buy it if they can get me 20 year financing...

wesintl
11-03-2006, 12:19 PM
I had heard 59k.. and something like they had an offer at 55 or something like that? Perry and Danial were standing there when the schmailsman was telling us about it. I wasn't paying attention though.

Resto was done by TLC.

Hulk
11-03-2006, 02:17 PM
That's a lot of coin. You could buy a new 2007 Land Cruiser for nearly the same price!
http://rustybrain.com/haha/boingeyesqj5.gif

Evrgrnmtnman
11-03-2006, 05:31 PM
You even have to pay a $400 Dealer Handling charge on top of it!

corsair23
11-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I think I'd rather buy one for that amount of money that Shane (AATLAS1X) in OR fixed up...Does TLC do good restorations or are they like CCOT?

SROR/AKA 2BAD
11-03-2006, 09:42 PM
i paid $2300. for mine.

but i guess the warn hubs make it all worth it :thumb:

Uncle Ben
11-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Unless one of the above mentioned people(or similar) go for it, my money says they won't get any bids. From experience I have learned that unless someone is independently wealthy, buyers won't bother with something like this.
Whos got the odds on this bet? Don Ehrlick?

Sucker bet! "Not I" says me!!! http://www.netshrine.com/vbulletin2/images/smilies/nono.gif

MDH33
11-04-2006, 08:50 AM
I would definately buy it. But onlyif it were a different color... :rolleyes:

gr8fulabe
11-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I think I'd rather buy one for that amount of money that Shane (AATLAS1X) in OR fixed up...Does TLC do good restorations or are they like CCOT?

TLC is the very best in the business from what I have seen. They do absolutely amazing work. But, you have to pay through the nose for it, so only people that are wealthy, or that have saved forever can buy one of their restorations.

Uncle Ben
11-04-2006, 09:35 AM
TLC is the very best in the business from what I have seen. They do absolutely amazing work. But, you have to pay through the nose for it, so only people that are wealthy, or that have saved forever can buy one of their restorations.

You also have to look at it in a differant light. You are buying a "new" vehicle! Everything on that Cruiser has been remanufactured or replaced! FJC=$30k, "new" TLC FJ-40=$35k. Make the choice, Cruiser or Tundra hybrid SUV!

MDH33
11-04-2006, 11:35 AM
You also have to look at it in a differant light. You are buying a "new" vehicle! Everything on that Cruiser has been remanufactured or replaced! FJC=$30k, "new" TLC FJ-40=$35k. Make the choice, Cruiser or Tundra hybrid SUV!

I would opt for the 40 if it had the same warranty and financing as the FJC. Doubt they're going to finance it, so it's only available to someone who's loaded and wants a new toy I guess.

Groucho
11-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Sucker bet! "Not I" says me!!! http://www.netshrine.com/vbulletin2/images/smilies/nono.gif

Four days left. My money is still that no one bids on it.

Rzeppa
11-06-2006, 07:45 PM
You also have to look at it in a differant light. You are buying a "new" vehicle! Everything on that Cruiser has been remanufactured or replaced! FJC=$30k, "new" TLC FJ-40=$35k. Make the choice, Cruiser or Tundra hybrid SUV!First off, Derrick told me that the mechanical work was done there at Stevinson in their service department, and the paint (and whatever minimal body work) was done at their local outsource body shop. Second, we've all had a chance to look at this rig over the past year. It's not stock (OME suspension, vintage air, tuffy console, BFG 33x9.50 A/Ts), and while those are worthwhile upgrades over stock, it isn't a true resto back to factory. Third, if anyone has looked underneath, you'll notice some very non-factory wiring going on underneath, which makes me kind of wonder about the stuff you can't see without dismantling things. New FJC stickers for $27k loaded.

I put in a call to Ron and left a message. Maybe somebody will pay that kind of coin, and it looks like it's a heck of a nice rig. It's virtually impossible to know what the innard mechanicals are like without photo documentation. They're probably fine, but without eyeballing and measuring the insides of the engine, tranny, t-case and diffs you just can't know.

I know ebay is crazy and some people pay crazy prices for stuff, but in the real world, I would place that rig somewhere closer to $20-$25k. My 1976 had fewer miles (70k) and was a LOT newer (6 years old) and was (visibly) in equal condition when I bought it in 1982 for $3600. I wouldn't be surprised if Nathaniel is right, that they don't get any bids at their starting price. But then again, like I wrote, ebay is sometimes crazy.

MDH33
11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Maybe they'll donate it to Rising Sun for the next meeting raffle? :D

nakman
11-06-2006, 10:05 PM

And actually $35K is a bargain for a true TLC truck. They were featured in TT a couple issues back and I think the price was closer to $75-$80K. but not really apples to apples...

are we gonna flip the bezel on that parts 40 or what? Time to start planning "project diversion" ....

Rzeppa
11-06-2006, 11:01 PM
And actually $35K is a bargain for a true TLC truck. They were featured in TT a couple issues back and I think the price was closer to $75-$80K. but not really apples to apples...Definitely apples and oranges. The TLC Icon which was featured in TT is a hand built tribute, but nowhere near a factory FJ40 other than looks, frame and copied body panels. It is a TLC Icon, not a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Jonathan at TLC does do top notch factory-quality restos though, and his prices do range from $25-$35k. Stephen at CCOT used to do a lot of rigs at near those prices but his business model has morphed from restos to parts, gradually over the last 5-10 years or so.

I'd love to see a cable show on building/restoring something like this, a la Monster Garage NOT that pimp my ride POS they did.

Bighead
11-12-2006, 08:39 AM
I see the auction ended with the starting bid only. I wish I had some extra cash laying around...I would be on that like a hobo on a ham sandwich.