PDA

View Full Version : 40 Series Envy

FJBen
11-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Sorta a x-post from mud, but wondering what some of ya'll think

What to do, what to do...

I'm in a bit of a quagmire...here's the deal...

I own 2 80 series as your know, my wifes bone stock locked 97 and my built 93. I used to have a sweet 55 but rolled it...:(

Anyways, I've always been down with the old school and frankly have found myself lost with the 80. While I love it and find it the best expedition/wheeling/family rig...I believe it lacks the soul of the old cruisers FOR ME! It just doesn't have that feel and I always find myself oogling over 40's all the time.

I don't smell like exhaust or oil after I drive it. No 2F purr...no top off, no doors off...no freezing in the winter or sweating in the summer. No rattles big wind noises...all the stuff I love...

all the simplicity and ulitarianess of the 40 is just too enticing...

So what to do? Am I going through a phase? I would have no issues trading straight for a nice 40 series or trading +cash for a sorta nice one. I think I"m slowly moving away from hardcore wheeling as it's just not appealing to bash my rig right now. I'm more about the adventure and sight seeing/camping/exploration on a stock/mild FJ40.

What the heck to do? What Would You Do?

Hulk
11-06-2006, 10:54 AM
My 2˘?

Buy another Pig. All the rattles and utilitarian coolness of the 40 series, plus a much better expedition/wheeling/family rig than a 40.

FJBen
11-06-2006, 11:04 AM
My 2˘?

Buy another Pig. All the rattles and utilitarian coolness of the 40 series, plus a much better expedition/wheeling/family rig than a 40.

While the idea is tempting...I'm definitley getting a 40. I had a 40 for a few months :( and had to sell and can't ever get a 40 out of my head. Most wheeling is just me or my kids and I. :Princess: isn't so down with wheeling...(flatlander) so big family excursions probably aren't going to happen.

I just really miss the doors off/top off that you get with a 40 and know I wouldn't be happy if I got something other than that. I just wonder if I'm crazy for selling my 80 to get that?

MDH33
11-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Anyways, I've always been down with the old school and frankly have found myself lost with the 80. While I love it and find it the best expedition/wheeling/family rig...I believe it lacks the soul of the old cruisers FOR ME! It just doesn't have that feel and I always find myself oogling over 40's all the time.

I don't smell like exhaust or oil after I drive it. No 2F purr...no top off, no doors off...no freezing in the winter or sweating in the summer. No rattles big wind noises...all the stuff I love...

all the simplicity and ulitarianess of the 40 is just too enticing...

You're not the only one who thinks that newer cruisers lack soul. :thumb:

Sell the 80 and get a nice cheap 60 for a driver and then use the rest to start building up your perfect 40. That's what I'm doing. :cheers:

nakman
11-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Hmm... which 80 do you want to trade?

wesintl
11-06-2006, 11:55 AM
I tried going a year or two without a 40... it didn't happen. I'll always have a 40 or 2, or several. While the 70 is cool, different, fun, there is just something about a 40. I'd sell the 70 before either of my 40's too. I keep telling myself one day i'll own a 80 or 100 but I'm not giving up the classics to get one. I haven't DD a 40 in a long time though. I did drive the 70 all last week which was fun. I'd only DD a 76+ fj40 but since you only go a few miles that's probably not a issue either.

Hulk
11-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I just sold our Jetta GLI last night. Starting tomorrow, my FJ40 will be a DD again. Not sure how long that will last. My wife has been talking about a Volvo station wagon.:eek:

I may be forced to put the hard top back on. It's been off for years.

Nay
11-06-2006, 12:19 PM
I personally think the daily driver / wheeler combo ends up getting old over time and I've done it twice - the 80 is about as good as it gets IMO because you have the true offroad heritage but all baseline modern goodies like fuel injection and power amenities. Question really always centers around that "dual capability" issue, and the 40 suggests a much lower requirement than the 80.

I'd put a set of 285 AT's like Revo's on your wife's 80 and a simple OME lift so you can still take it out if you want to. You don't need a bunch of armor and other stuff. Then get a 40 for you.

Nay

wesintl
11-06-2006, 12:31 PM
I'd put a set of 285 AT's like Revo's on your wife's 80 and a simple OME lift so you can still take it out if you want to. You don't need a bunch of armor and other stuff. Then get a 40 for you.

That was going to be my suggestion too. There are alot of fun passes that we can do out here with just a mild lift like the ghost town run that's a nice family event. Then get a 40. I'd DD my 40 or 70 but I like to go skiing and do other things where having a 40 just isn't practical:o . That's where the $1000 camry hoopdie factors in :grinpimp:

Rezarf
11-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Been thinking about going with an 80 series for a while now. I have been DD my 40 for nearly 8 years now, and I do love it. However, I have found that I really love senic trails and camping more than hard wheeling. That said I think the 80 IS the best out of the box cruiser ever.

Want to work out some kind of swap? You drive the 40 half the year, and I will drive your 80 for half then swap? :D

I won't let the 40 go if I can help it, but as I hopefully have a family one day the 80 series is going to be my choice down the road for sure.

Let me know if you want to swap for a week ;)

Drew

IanB
11-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Another vote for buying a beater DD and building your own 40. You won't have to make compromises on the 40 due to the fact its a DD and you can work on it to your hearts content without affecting your ride to work.

Red_Chili
11-06-2006, 02:25 PM
1st gen 4Runner with a removable top. Cut down the doors for summer and put on a soft top. Then replace the motor with something newer for mo go.

Best of the old, best of the new, family friendly and usable too.

Oh, wait....

FJBen
11-06-2006, 02:32 PM
thanks for the thoughts! :D

Yeah the DD really isn't that big a deal for me. It's 2 miles to work :lmao: and I ride the bicycle in the summer. That may change to like a 10 mile commute each way, but thats it...so it's not like I'm really commuting to say the least.

I have just been haunted by the 40 bug...lol Everytime I see one I keep thinking "MUST HAVE 40" in my homer voice...been that way forever...

I'd be selling my built up 93 or trading for one. I would hope I could find a nice 40 series for the the money I get from my 80...the wife really isn't into wheeling right now at all. She likes the 40 series and would drive a close to stockish or mild one, and she likes cruisers...Just not big built cruisers like my 93 or my pig.

hmmm....

corsair23
11-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Whatever you do, you've probably seen there are at least a couple of people looking for a nice locked 80 :D

I would appreciate you keeping me in mind in case you do decide to sell...My situation is almost the opposite in that the family likes to 4-wheel but the 40 just won't cut it for a family of 4 (us) for anything other than short day trips :(

farnhamstj
11-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Get the sweetest 40 you can swing. You can always get another 80. Good 40's are getting harder to come by. You will be trading some wheeling time for some garage time,

Romer
11-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Or, you can get a beatup 40 cheap. Get it emissioned and plated and then tear it down and build it up the way you want.

Rzeppa
11-06-2006, 07:12 PM
My own experience:

Shopping for an 80, the 1997 HZJ75 practically fell into my lap for the same money. Being a 1997 model, it had a lot of niceties that an older rig doesn't have, like it was quiet :-) It was already built and I wheeled the snot out of it. Broke a lot of stuff, but that happens. Diesel's cool, way cool. So was the removeable top. H55F rocked too. But it wasn't a 40 series. After owning the HZJ75 for 4 years I traded it even-up for my 1978 FJ45 and couldn't be happier.

I know what 80s can do, and I know diesel, but there's something about the 40 series that they just don't make anymore. Character. All vehicles have a personality, but that's what got my hooked on Land Cruisers to start with, was my 40's character and personality.

Go for it man!

(Disclaimer: I do not own or drive anything but 40 series Land Cruisers any more...)

MDH33
11-06-2006, 07:59 PM
(Disclaimer: I do not own or drive anything but 40 series Land Cruisers any more...)

Right on!

I passed you in Morrison yesterday Jeff, in my 60. I had my girlfriend with me and I started yelling like a crazy person, telling her to check out that FJ45!!! I was so distracted I forgot to roll down the window and wave. :thumb:

Another example of how 40 series affect people. :D

Rzeppa
11-06-2006, 08:30 PM
LOL! Good one! I went up to Kevin's yesterday to get some FJ60 body parts to fix up my FIL's rig, went through Morrison each way. I get more comments and strangers walking up to me in parking lots in that 45 than I ever did in the HZJ75.

lfd270ben
11-07-2006, 12:37 AM
I have a brand new truck with all the options and hands down I love driving my 40 more , I feel so more involved when driving but it might be the 38's and no power steering! my 2 is ditch the 80 you have another anyway

FJBen
11-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Sounds like what I thought would be the case. I keep wanting that damn 40, and they are getting harder and harder to come by for a semi-decent price.

I guess I'd better finish my little projects and put that 80 on the block...:eek: I may be calling on some of you for favors on checking some 40's out that I've seen...if you don't mind. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: will be mandatory! :D

MDH33
11-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Right on, good choice. :thumb:

Do you have any specifics you are looking for in a 40? Year, mods, price range, etc? I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Rezarf
11-07-2006, 09:15 AM
FJBen-

I have four 40's within walking distance of my place here in Louisville. There is one that is really nice red one that is built up probably 79ish, a mustard yellow (seems topless) pre 75, a sweet green one super nice mostly resto'd!, and a huge RED one without any top side glass... sorry ben ;)

I also saw a red 40? something the other day. It looked like a 40 but was about 12" longer in the rear. Factory soft top with two windows on each side, and it was right hand drive, and all the interior lettering was in Japaneese, it was killer, I took a few pics and left a note under the windshield wiper to see if the owner was interested in selling... haven't heard anything. If I do, my 40 will be for sale :p: Anyone seen it? Uncle Ben? It was up at McCasslin and Cherry at the garage. I asked the mechanic about it and he said it was a cool rig but didn't know much about it.

OOOH, if you count the one that is dissasembled in IanB's side yard that is makes an even 6.

Cruisers everywhere here in Louisville!

Drew

MDH33
11-07-2006, 10:03 AM
I also just saw a nice red 40 here in Denver, not far from my place, for sale. If you want, I'll take a couple of pics and get the contact info.

trucruiser
11-07-2006, 10:37 AM
That red factory soft top 40 Razor had would have been the one for you ben, i think it is sold now, great price too.

MDH33
11-07-2006, 12:31 PM
That red factory soft top 40 Razor had would have been the one for you ben, i think it is sold now, great price too.

I didn't hear about Razor having a Red factory Soft Top. Was that the one that was on Craigslist this week for $1500?? The sellers name was Charlie.

Edit: Just found the post on MUD. That's the same one I saw on Craigslist. Looked like a killer deal...

FJBen
11-07-2006, 01:43 PM
yeah I saw think, me thinks it will be up for sale soon...just a thought tho...:)

FJBen
11-07-2006, 01:44 PM
FJBen-

I have four 40's within walking distance of my place here in Louisville. There is one that is really nice red one that is built up probably 79ish, a mustard yellow (seems topless) pre 75, a sweet green one super nice mostly resto'd!, and a huge RED one without any top side glass... sorry ben ;)

Cruisers everywhere here in Louisville!

Drew

yeah definitely get me some info on those cruisers! options are good! :D thanks RS rocks!

bustanutley
11-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Ditto on the hooptie DD, my ‘88 mazda is the best $800 investment ever, 35 mpg, reasonably reliable (I have had to turn a few wrenches on it, not bad for 236K on the clock). Regardless of living very close to work you are going on want a vehicle for just everyday convenience, then you could get a 40 that was either in decent mechanical shape or body in decent condition, but not both, on the cheep. 40s are really really easy to fix either condition, especially with how much support there is now days for new panels. Body work isn’t THAT bad. This way you can build what you want and not sacrifice transit or quality of work. Haste makes waste, and that is the biggest regret I have with my crusier. Although it works awsome I have done a ton of rework on my crusier and still have some to do.

FJBen
11-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Anyone know anything about this cruiser? been for sale for awhile, it sits at the REI in denver...anyone by that area? know it?

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/214019677.html

MDH33
11-08-2006, 08:22 AM
If it's the one that parks at REI, I've seen it up close. The body is a little rough with a not-great repaint. Those rear wheel wells have been chopped out sort of crude. Overall it's not bad, but I think $8700 is a bit high even though it's a later square bezel 40. It's had a lot done to it with mods, etc. I would bet you can find a more stock rig in better shape for less and do the mods yourself. (more fun, and built to your personal specs).

I'm going to look at the red cruiser in NW Denver I mentioned in an earlier post. I'm curious to see what they are asking, it looked nice. I'll post some picks later today if I can.

FJBen
11-08-2006, 09:07 AM
If it's the one that parks at REI, I've seen it up close. The body is a little rough with a not-great repaint. Those rear wheel wells have been chopped out sort of crude. Overall it's not bad, but I think $8700 is a bit high even though it's a later square bezel 40. It's had a lot done to it with mods, etc. I would bet you can find a more stock rig in better shape for less and do the mods yourself. (more fun, and built to your personal specs).

I'm going to look at the red cruiser in NW Denver I mentioned in an earlier post. I'm curious to see what they are asking, it looked nice. I'll post some picks later today if I can.

Cool, I talked with the guy and he said a little rust then kept mentioning area's and I 'm like...hmmm...The price seemed a bit high personally without even seeing it.

Red is prolly my least favorite color, but you never know if the cruiser is right or not. Dune Beige is my fav color, then Mustard then brown...then the rest...not that I'm picky or anything :D

post up anything ya find! :thumb:

Prefer: 76 - 83 hehehe...minimal rust, good drivetrain much preffered 2F/stock setup, mostly stock...the stocker/cleaner the better. I think I'll have around 8K to spend on one.

timmbuck2
11-08-2006, 11:10 AM
keep me in mind for a cheap 40 project! :)

T

Hulk
11-10-2006, 03:03 AM
1977 Fj40: $4500 (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=211078564&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=20&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_47_%7CB-20000%7CD-_428_%7CN-N%7CR-50%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-80122&aff=wbal)

-------------

Another one:
1973 Toyota Land Cruiser $500, FJ 40 Mud Buggy. No title. Good 4X4 drive train. $500 OBO. 303-766-1305

FJBen
11-10-2006, 08:06 AM
What do you consider "cheap" for a project rig?? V8 ok? I'm not going for V8 personally :D

Rzeppa
11-10-2006, 08:14 AM
What do you consider "cheap" for a project rig?? V8 ok? I'm not going for V8 personally :DUnder $2k. Go for a stocker, and consider an ealier drum front unit. They can often be had for less than the later models. I always advise to get as stock as possible instead of buying someone else's mods. Also, the earlier ones often have less rust, partly due to thicker sheet metal and partly due to being driven less. There are far fewer "proper" V8 conversions out there than ones done well.

Hulk
11-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Some Cruisers on Craigslist (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=20837&postcount=178).

FJBen
11-14-2006, 03:46 PM
I think I'm finally taking the plunge. Price is all hammered out, I just need mine to sell...not exactly what I was wanting...but I"d say possibly better...in a different way :thumb:

CardinalFJ60
11-14-2006, 04:01 PM
I too have 40 envy...I currently have a VW Karmann Ghia, it's great (well the synchro on #2 is going, so you have to finesse it into gear). But I love it, and it's kinda rare.

But since I've got one impractical car, I can't have two. I'm going through the tough process of, " do I sell the VW to get another impractical car"? Both have a cool factor of 10+, but am having a hard time deciding to part with the Ghia. It's easy when I rationalize like this...top comes off a 40, dogs can go in the 40

Just felt like I had to share. "hello, my name is shawn, I'm a cruiser-holic with only one cruiser".

FJBen
11-15-2006, 08:20 AM
I too have 40 envy...

Just felt like I had to share. "hello, my name is shawn, I'm a cruiser-holic with only one cruiser".

Hello Shawn....:D (in best group support voice)

trucruiser
11-15-2006, 11:57 AM
I cant wait to see what you get.

Hulk
11-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Before we had kids, I had my 1981 FJ40 and a 1964 Bug. Two old vehicles, both of which screamed for modifications and money. A month before our first kid was born, I sold the Bug and bought a modern car (with seat belts in the back seat and a heater that worked).