PDA

View Full Version : best bang for a couple maybe few thousand bucks in the 40?

nakman
11-08-2006, 04:00 PM
So say you had a pretty nice FJ40 and were thinking about plunking a couple grand into it to make it a little nicer... what would you suggest doing? Main use is city life.. wheeling trips are in the picture but will remain fairly mild- Jenny Creek, Argentine, Bill Moore, etc. IOW, this is not a rock crawler so bigger & lockers & gears aren't necessarily top priority. here are my thoughts..

5 speed- H55F is the one, right? Is it more like the 4 speed + OD, or are all 5 closer together so top end of 5 isn't much far off from the top of existing 4? Going faster at a lower rpm sounds pretty good.. is it worth it?

Coils & axles- Our favorite body guy is ready & willing to put a 60 axle in front, maybe a 3rd Gen runna in back (with magic button), coils all 4 corners, 4-link in back, control arms & panhard in front. All I need to do is provide the wallet.. sounds sweet, doesn't it?

Cosmetic- both rear fenders & rear sill are pretty beat up, truck would look a lot nicer with new stuff there. In fact one of these days the bolts for the spare are just going to pull through the sill, I watch that area flex every time I open the back door (and try not to do that much). Plus those gray steel rims w/ the hubcaps are so sweet looking... so for not too much I think I could address the only rust issues plus dress the whole truck up nicely

V6 swap- Imagine how cool it'd be with the 3.4L 5VZ-Fe in there.. plus all the gages upgraded inside, etc. Would be quieter, faster, more efficient, and I could use all these oil filters I bought back when I had those Tacos & runner. :rolleyes:

Most of this I can't do myself due to lack of skill & time, I don't have much of either one. So I'd have to enlisting the help of one ore more of our professional club members. What else should I consider? :cool:

CardinalFJ60
11-08-2006, 04:14 PM
So...as far as the 5speed...

1st is slightly lower - noticeable, but not a granny-gear. 2-3-4 seem to be the same, and then of course, (read with Homer's voice)...."mmmm....5th gear". Great for DD, flat highway driving - when I commute to denver, it's a real joy to put it in 5th and cruise at about 70-75 at around 2500rpm. I can talk to my passengers, listen to the radio at a normal volume. and I don't have to pat the dash apologizing for running the ol'60 at 3000+ rpm for extended periods of time.

HTH

subzali
11-08-2006, 04:19 PM
If it were me, I'd maybe put in the H55F and call it good. You already have a truck with coils, leather, power, amenities...:blah: I'd probably fix the rear quarters/sill too.

This truck is old school, and it should stay that way. Leafs all around with the "big six" that Toyota felt was good enough to give a production run of 15 years give or take.

Don't get me wrong, I think coils, engine etc. would be cool...just not for your truck. I'd be willing to dork around with a truck that had lesser running gear under it (coarse spline or ball and claw birfields etc.), but one with fine splined gears, 4 spd, 2F, just drive it like ya stole it ;)

Good 40s are getting rarer by the day :(

corsair23
11-08-2006, 04:23 PM
You went WAY over my head went you got to the coils and axles :)

But, speaking of engines. The guy that bought my Kayline tire carrier, Mike Goodknight over in Grand Junction, when he was down picking up the carrier he was also picking up some engines...I believe he was getting 3FEs and according to Mike they are pretty much a bolt up affair in an otherwise stock 40...Sounded intriguing but others smarter than I would have to determine the benefits of doing so.

FJBen
11-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Personally, I would/will ;) be going more along these routes.

Disc brakes rear: nothing like easy brake changes, no wheel cylinders! :D an will help keep your axle in if you manage to bust it on the trail.

Power Steering: If it doesn't have it, even mild wheeling will be easier!

Rust repair: make her sweet, only ups the value and lessens your chance for a tetanus shot

Transmission: the H55f has a lower 4.9:1 first gear and the OD, so that helps with offroad gearing and hill starts, you will however need a splitcase t-case as well. Plan for over $2000 for this swap unless you find all used.

Rear 4-link coversion: Proffitt's has a kit you can weld on for the 40's, pick your height, have great flex and comfy ride.

Better seats: some nice pro-car or something to help the comfort???

Engine swap is gonna be $$$$...I don't care if people said they have done it for $300.00 I would easily put down $3,000+

just my random thoughts ;)

wesintl
11-08-2006, 04:43 PM
So say you had a pretty nice FJ40 and were thinking about plunking a couple grand into it to make it a little nicer... what would you suggest doing? Main use is city life.. wheeling trips are in the picture but will remain fairly mild- Jenny Creek, Argentine, Bill Moore, etc. IOW, this is not a rock crawler so bigger & lockers & gears aren't necessarily top priority. here are my thoughts..

5 speed- H55F is the one, right? Is it more like the 4 speed + OD, or are all 5 closer together so top end of 5 isn't much far off from the top of existing 4? Going faster at a lower rpm sounds pretty good.. is it worth it?
IMHO for your type of 40 no. lower is a tad lower but nothing to write home about, 5th is pretty much a set of 33's

Coils & axles- Our favorite body guy is ready & willing to put a 60 axle in front, maybe a 3rd Gen runna in back (with magic button), coils all 4 corners, 4-link in back, control arms & panhard in front. All I need to do is provide the wallet.. sounds sweet, doesn't it?

Yep.. but for bill moore and argetine? If you want to lock it up selectable just do arb's

Cosmetic- both rear fenders & rear sill are pretty beat up, truck would look a lot nicer with new stuff there. In fact one of these days the bolts for the spare are just going to pull through the sill, I watch that area flex every time I open the back door (and try not to do that much). Plus those gray steel rims w/ the hubcaps are so sweet looking... so for not too much I think I could address the only rust issues plus dress the whole truck up nicely
I'd fix up the fender wells and the rear corner. Nice 40's are getting tougher to find it the later model. Steelies with 33x10.5 and some caps would be really sweet.

V6 swap- Imagine how cool it'd be with the 3.4L 5VZ-Fe in there.. plus all the gages upgraded inside, etc. Would be quieter, faster, more efficient, and I could use all these oil filters I bought back when I had those Tacos & runner. :rolleyes:
Not my bag baby... :cool: The coolness factor of the 40 is also it's simplicity. :blah:

Most of this I can't do myself due to lack of skill & time, I don't have much of either one. So I'd have to enlisting the help of one ore more of our professional club members. What else should I consider? :cool:

I'd dress it up and arb it. Maybe add an h41 and orion or h41 and a split case with marks gears, rims and rubber. KISS ;) For weekend warrior... Main use is city life.. wheeling trips are in the picture but will remain fairly mild- Jenny Creek, Argentine, Bill Moore, etc.

Also my final thought. I've had a blast wheelin a 2in lift with a locker in the rear truck esp coming from something alot more capable. Building a truck up for bill moore, jenny creek and argentine etc, more than what you have is a waste of time and resources IMHO. ;)

nakman
11-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks all, great stuff!! Yeah I think the H55F is leading the pack, then the cosmetic stuff. Ben PO was kind enough to do power steering already, he also recovered the seats and they're pretty comfortable.

Maybe the next 40 will get the 4-links & engine swap, we'll keep this one a little closer to original, perhaps. :)

edit: Wes, what's a H41?

MDH33
11-08-2006, 04:45 PM
1st thought would be keep it as close to stock as possible. It's a 40! The 5 speed would be a cool sleeper/hidden mod that would really improve the highway ride. But, it would be expensive and I've heard it's not an easy swap into a 40 like it is into a 60.

2nd thought is to put the $$ towards getting the body fixed. New steel goes a looong way to increasing the life (and value) of your 40.

It's never going to be an 80. enjoy it for what it is. No need to go fast or ride smooth. :thumb:

nakman
11-08-2006, 04:47 PM
It's never going to be an 80. enjoy it for what it is. No need to go fast or ride smooth.
Yeah, Subzali said about the same thing.. you guys are both right.

wesintl
11-08-2006, 04:54 PM
edit: Wes, what's a H41?

It's the non usa 4 speed with the same low as the h55f. The 33's are your 5th and if you want something a little lower then add an orion or a split case that'll be stronger with gears. I think and h55f is overkill for a weekend warrior IMHO.

Having a h55... you'll want lower than what it has in 1st offroad.

FJBen
11-08-2006, 05:06 PM
It's the non usa 4 speed with the same low as the h55f. The 33's are your 5th and if you want something a little lower then add an orion or a split case that'll be stronger with gears. I think and h55f is overkill for a weekend warrior IMHO.

Having a h55... you'll want lower than what it has in 1st offroad.

X2

new H55F $1,600 plus shipping
Split t-case $200-$300 used plus rebuild kit
Driveshafts modded $200-$300
New Clutch $200 might as well, you are in there
Parking brake setup $300 or eldorado calipers RDB setup
Crossmember mods $$?
Labor if you can't do it $$$$$

I'm guessing well over the 3K now that I think about it...

Go arb for wheeling, sliders, FIX THAT TUB, fenders....enjoy!

Thats what I'm missing...the simpleness of the 40...it is THE LAND CRUISER...

Shark Bait
11-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Tim,

You got extra cash, make the 80 nicer. :p: The 40 is nice just stock, as it is. If you have to, maybe nicer buckets and rear disc brakes. Why go overboard?

IanB
11-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Body work. Coils and axles are for crawlin, which you stated was not the primary purpose. If its mostly a city driver go cosmetic, good 40's are getting rarer and rarer.

If you go H55 throw in a split case.

IanB
11-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh if you need a custom crossmember I can fab one up for yah free.

Convert
11-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Tim,

You got extra cash, make the 80 nicer. :p: The 40 is nice just stock, as it is. If you have to, maybe nicer buckets and rear disc brakes. Why go overboard?
x2 the 80 on 35's and 4:88"s and armor will go most places:thumb:

Romer
11-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Tim, If it was my 40 . . . . . I would do the rear qtr's and sill and even replace the fenders. The fendors are cheap. One is dinged a bit. I would then duarline the inside. Replace the headliner. Fix the rear amby door.

Another thing I would do is an ARB (since you didn't like the Aussie)locker.

nakman
11-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Ok, so it's looking like fix the rusty parts, then regear the 80. sounds like a good plan to me, we'll see if it passes the approval process.

wesintl
11-09-2006, 09:02 AM
One of the nicest driving 40's i ever had the pleasure to drive was Vince's from MN at last years CM. It was a early 80's fj40. It had a very mild lift (2") tires etc. It looked very stock. He had an h41 tranny with a split case with marks gears. It was geared very well, not too low but low enough I could idle up obstacles. Then he had ARB's front and rear :D Again the tires were an overdive on the highway and could comfortably cruise.

It's a cruiser and setup i'd like to one day mimic.

FJBen
11-09-2006, 09:41 AM
One of the nicest driving 40's i ever had the pleasure to drive was Vince's from MN at last years CM. It was a early 80's fj40. It had a very mild lift (2") tires etc. It looked very stock. He had an h41 tranny with a split case with marks gears. It was geared very well, not too low but low enough I could idle up obstacles. Then he had ARB's front and rear :D Again the tires were an overdive on the highway and could comfortably cruise.

It's a cruiser and setup i'd like to one day mimic.

Thats basically what I would like to do...mild wheeler, mild lift, 33's...H41...ARB's discs...

Alcans, Bilsteins, H41, orion/split... :D

Rzeppa
11-09-2006, 10:44 AM
I am not a fan of H55F conversions in a 40 with the stock engine and stock rear axle location because it makes the rear driveshaft even shorter than it already is. As has been mentioned, the H41 offers a VERY noticable improvement over the H42...4.9:1 first versus 3.5:1 first. Second and third are proportionally lower than the H42, they are not the same. 4th is same 1:1.

The H55F is better suited to a LWB like a wagon or pickup, or a shorter engine which can be moved forward, like a SBC or 3B diesel. I had one in my HZJ75 and it is a WONDERFUL tranny for that application. Alternatively, in the 40 the rear axle can be moved back somewhat to compensate for the greater length of the tranny. As was mentioned, the H55F requires a late model (5/85-up) split case, and now you have to deal with what to do about a parking brake. Either way, it's a lot more work than an H41, which is a total bolt-up, has identical exterior dimensions as the H42.

I tend to agree with Wes: 1st priority should be taking care of your sheet metal! After that, see how much $$ is left in your budget. Just my advice...