PDA

View Full Version : Question for the "Dark Side"

Uncle Ben
11-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Wondering why the IFS box is sooooooo coveted by the mini/Foreskin crowd? Is it just because its a direct swap for the manual steering box or is there something magical? ;) :cheers:

60wag
11-10-2006, 06:40 AM
The stock power steering box from the solid front axle trucks doesn't work when converting to a high steer setup. Its practically worthless to retain the stock streeing arrangement when lifting an SFA truck due to horrible bump steer and the weak arm connecting the mini relay rod to the knuckle.

And that about sums up what I know about early 4 runners :)

Uncle Ben
11-10-2006, 08:38 AM
The stock power steering box from the solid front axle trucks doesn't work when converting to a high steer setup. Its practically worthless to retain the stock streeing arrangement when lifting an SFA truck due to horrible bump steer and the weak arm connecting the mini relay rod to the knuckle.

And that about sums up what I know about early 4 runners :)

Ahhhhhh....that makes sence. When looking at the boxes the IFS box looks a lot like the FJ-6x boxes. What would be the big differance there? :rolleyes:

....sorry, I'm in learning mode....

leiniesred
11-10-2006, 09:25 AM
There are 2 different IFS boxes. There is a long nose and a shorty. If you move the box forward, you can use the longnose and no need to extend the column. (I only have short boxes. Oh well)

One difference would be availability. IFS boxes are easy to come by. fj60s are hard to find (for darksiders at least)

I'll bring in an IFS box if you bring in an FJ6x box to the next meeting.

Uncle Ben
11-10-2006, 09:29 AM
There are 2 different IFS boxes. There is a long nose and a shorty. If you move the box forward, you can use the longnose and no need to extend the column. (I only have short boxes. Oh well)

One difference would be availability. IFS boxes are easy to come by. fj60s are hard to find (for darksiders at least)

I'll bring in an IFS box if you bring in an FJ6x box to the next meeting.

I will, great comparo! Thanks Sir Rudy!

Red_Chili
11-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I think we need a 'Dark Side' forum. I have to visit 4x4wire.com just to keep from being cruiserwhelmed 'round here!