PDA

View Full Version : Need a family car. Suggestions?

Hulk
11-10-2006, 02:53 AM
We sold the Jetta GLI. We still own 2 Cruisers. My wife wants a family vehicle.

Requirements

Fuel efficient
Third row seat preferred
Not lifted/modified for the trail (we have two of those)
Reliable
Used
Under $20k. Would prefer $15k or less.
Something other than a minivan would be preferred.
Wagons OK.So far my research has found the Acura MDX to best meet these specs. But surely there are other vehicles out there that meet many of these parameters.

Suggestions?

treerootCO
11-10-2006, 05:22 AM
go diesel, that should help narrow the search:)

60wag
11-10-2006, 05:33 AM
They are getting kind of old and hard to find but the Camry wagons had the third seat option available.

Uncle Ben
11-10-2006, 07:57 AM
The MDX's are nice! We drove a bunch when we decided the minian era was over for us and we really liked the MDX. (Although both the Sienna and the Odessy are schweet!) I then got my 80 and we downsized the wifemobile to the turbo 'vert bug. Great choice for us as Lori commutes to Longmont everyday and puts on a bunch of miles.

We sold the Jetta GLI. We still own 2 Cruisers. My wife wants a family vehicle.

Requirements

Fuel efficient
Third row seat preferred
Not lifted/modified for the trail (we have two of those)
Reliable
Used
Under $20k. Would prefer $15k or less.
Something other than a minivan would be preferred.
Wagons OK.So far my research has found the Acura MDX to best meet these specs. But surely there are other vehicles out there that meet many of these parameters.

Suggestions?

nakman
11-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Passat wagon? RX330? both would need to be used to qualify..

Uncle Ben
11-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Passat wagon? RX330? both would need to be used to qualify..

We loved the RX330's but they are a tad small and for what your getting mileage isn't that great!

wesintl
11-10-2006, 09:06 AM
A friend of mine has a pacifica and loves it and they are on their 2nd one, first was a lease and just turned it in. They claim the 3 row was a must for them to with 2 kids too. It does have alot of room and it drives really well. AWD etc. I think it's kinda hard to see out of but then again all the cars have those larger pillars for safety. My inlaws came out this summer and rented one and by the end of the week I actually thought it was a decent ride. My other friend is on their 3rd or 4th odessey but they have like 5 kids now.

Red_Chili
11-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Friend of mine has lotsa miles on his Odyssey. Nice ride, lotsa room. Family vacation vehicle.

Ya know, so was the F250 powerstroke crew, though. Covered bed for the luggage. The only downside was the badge on the grille. But, 17mpg no matter how you drove or what you towed.

Nay
11-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Honestly, you cannot beat a minivan for family use. I have an '04 Nissan Quest, which has the longest wheelbase in class and doesn't look like a minivan. This thing has great power, gets 26 mpg on the highway at 80 mph, is shockingly comfortable (if there is a better second row of captains chairs in terms of comfort/legroom I haven't seen it), the 3rd row is comfortable for adults, and you have great gear carrying capability. You get key fob push button sliding doors and rear liftgate, tons of features, and they don't cost more than a sedan. With money in the picture, the only thing I'd trade this for is another one (if money doesn't matter I'm probably driving a new Suburban).

Minivans represent the most capabilty and features for your dollar without sacrificing fuel economy. They are dirt cheap to insure. If you haven't ever driven one and are just concerned about image, I'd suggest you at least take some test drives. The late model minivans are nothing like what you could buy four or five years ago, and that old stigma is gone. It is smart to have room, feature, and functionality in a 5 star safety package with good economy for a family. Many, including the Sienna, have AWD as an option.

Everybody here has a 4x4, so manliness is intact. :thumb:

Nay

bh4rnnr
11-10-2006, 10:23 AM
The Acura MDx's are nice. Would recomend checking out the RX350 also as it's compition for Acura. If you do a lot of city driving, also recomend the RX400h.

corsair23
11-10-2006, 10:27 AM
How about my '99 Dodge Durango? Loaded, 3rd row seats, good condition, only 66K miles, and I'd sell it to you for $15K :D

Oh wait, your #1 item was fuel efficient...Never mind :hill:

On a more serious note I'm with those that mention a minivan...Aside from it being a minivan you get all of what you want. IMO wagons with a 3rd row seat (except for maybe the Pacifica) are too small unless your use of the 3rd row would be very rare and only for short drives. How about a 4-runner with the 3rd row seats option? Not sure about fuel mileage and whether you could find one for under $20K though.

wsdavies
11-10-2006, 10:33 AM
My brother has the MDX. It's a very nice ride if you're willing to spend the $$$ for it. If not then get the Honda Pilot, which is the lower budget version.
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Hulk
11-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The Honda Pilot was my first choice, but they've only had the third row seating for 2 years. The older ones are within our budget, but no third row, so no go.

wsdavies
11-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Just take the 3rd row seats out of your 80, built a bracket and bolt em into the Pilot..problem solved!!! :p: :D :thumb:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The Honda Pilot was my first choice, but they've only had the third row seating for 2 years. The older ones are within our budget, but no third row, so no go.
________
Starraft 2 replays (http://screplays.com/replays)

lfd270ben
11-10-2006, 09:00 PM
subaru's are pretty good I think you can get the forester with a third and if you get the forester 2.5xt model it has the same drivetrain as a impreza wrx sti. nothin like a soccer mom mobile that can smoke all 4 tires and still get 25mpg

farnhamstj
11-10-2006, 10:37 PM
How about a Sequoia? 18mpg. My wife loves hers

treerootCO
11-10-2006, 10:38 PM
My sister has a 200? Honda Odyssey for sale....funny thing is it is for sale because she bought a Sequoia

Shark Bait
11-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Here's what you need! :lmao:

Wagonqueen Family Truckster

The Wagonqueen Family Truckster was a station wagon created specifically for the film. It was nothing more than a Ford LTD Country Squire station wagon with modified front and rear ends and a "metallic pea" paint job, The production staff intentionally styled the Truckster to be ugly and ridiculous, with the following features:

* "Metallic Pea" paint
* overdone wood paneling
* eight headlights, four on each side in a rectangular cluster
* double rear taillights
* a grill area largely covered by bodywork, with two small openings about midway down, and a small grille at the bottom (Similar to a 1982 Oldsmobile Toronado)
* large chrome hubcaps with a large "Wagonqueen" logo in the middle
* an oddly-placed gas tank access door (in the hood)
* dull, brown cotton interior
* a rather poor-built engine (as demonstrated when Clark drives the car into his driveway and the engine knocks while it is running, and keeps running, even after Clark removes the key.)
* an airbag made out of a trashbag

Clark ends up purchasing the car after attempting to trade in his old station wagon, an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. By the time Clark finds out that the car he ordered is not available, the dealer has had his old car crushed. During the trip the Truckster encounters a series of mishaps, including one where Clark drives it off a small cliff in the middle of a desert.

Approximately 15 Family Trucksters were built, including at least 1 styling prototype not used for filming. Six of the cars were destroyed for the film, while the remainders have since found their way into private collections.

treerootCO
11-10-2006, 11:11 PM
is it the griswald's or is it the new chevy colorado?

there are just too many similarities between the two :D

Hants
11-11-2006, 03:08 PM
We have a 2003 Honda Pilot... It is basically the same drive train as the Acura MDX, but MUCH larger inside (sit in both to feel the difference).

We went looking for a "family car". Narrowed it down to a Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna. Went to the Honda dealer to test drive the Odessey, and they had a Pilot on display. We test drove the Pilot, the Odessy, and, earlier, the Sienna. Went home to sleep on it. The next morning Caroline says, "I've tried invisioning us in a mini-van, and I just can't." We ordered the Pilot that afternoon.

I can't say enough good things about it... lots of room, plenty of power, AWD w/ traction control. We've had 8 adults in it several times. The 3rd row seats fold down flat, and are not very comfortable for adults, but they work great for the kidlettes.

We have one of the first few produced (we ordered ours 6 weeks before they started delivering them). We've had only one "serious" issue - they replaced the transmission under warranty at a few thousand miles (no LC yet, and I took it out to the desert and did a bunch of sand & steep hills). They later had a TSB/recall on the transmission -- 2nd gear wasn't getting enough fluid under hard use.

We have about 65K miles, and its been otherwise trouble-free. Very highly recommended.

Caroline calls it the perfect Colorado car.

Note: I'm not sure what you mean when you say they don't have 3rd row seats in the earlier versions. Maybe the MDX?

Hulk
11-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Looks like we're going the minivan route. More details soon.

Uncle Ben
11-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Looks like we're going the minivan route. More details soon.

Nothing wrong with that! My wife loved her minivans! (we went through two!) Comfy and decent mileage + 7 passenger! Most have killer sound systems stock! :thumb: :bowdown: :Princess: ;)

wsdavies
11-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Dude, doesn't buying a minivan require 2 testicles as the down payment? :eek: :Princess:
________
Honda cb1100f (http://www.cyclechaos.com/4um/f24/honda-cb1100f-11708/)

Hulk
11-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Dude, doesn't buying a minivan require 2 testicles as the down payment? !:eek: :Princess:

Actually, I love vans. My family has been driving them for 25 years (the first was a full size van). They are great for hauling big stuff, and good for family road trips. Good for camping too. They are practical and very useful -- kind of like a Land Cruiser (useful and practical for different activities).

But my :Princess: has been reluctant to get one. Now she has a desire to be able to haul 2 adults + 4 kids comfortably. She has decided that a minivan will suit her purposes better than anything else.

I really like the Honda Odyssey, but my research has shown that they have recurring tranny problems. :(

Shark Bait
11-13-2006, 11:36 AM
But my :Princess: has been reluctant to get one. Now she has a desire to be able to haul 2 adults + 4 kids comfortably. She has decided that a minivan will suit her purposes better than anything else. :(

4 kids ?? You have 2 more on the way? :eek:

Nay
11-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Actually, I love vans. My family has been driving them for 25 years (the first was a full size van). They are great for hauling big stuff, and good for family road trips. Good for camping too. They are practical and very useful -- kind of like a Land Cruiser (useful and practical for different activities).

But my :Princess: has been reluctant to get one. Now she has a desire to be able to haul 2 adults + 4 kids comfortably. She has decided that a minivan will suit her purposes better than anything else.

I really like the Honda Odyssey, but my research has shown that they have recurring tranny problems. :(

Honda has had problems with the 5 speed transmission in the previous model - they extended the warranty to 100K miles, but not sure if that warranty would transfer.

If you've never driven an '04+ Quest I highly recommend a look. I drove both the Odyssey and Sienna before the Quest, and I thought the Quest was hands down the best of the three, plus I think you'll get the best deal by far on a Quest. It's a bit more "progressive", but if your wife doesn't love vans she might really dig the Quest. My wife absolutely loves the thing and wants a new one with the sky lights and other goodies.

One other thing to consider is the Quest has 3 rows of side curtain airbags standard and has a best in class safety rating, which is impressive given how good minivans are in the safety dept. I don't think you can get them on a previous edition Odyssey in your price range and they are optional on the Sienna when you get a bunch of other expensive stuff.

The Sienna on the other hand has available AWD and a ton of ground clearance. Toyota won't even sell the AWD version with an 8 seater configuration because they don't want to eat up their fullsize SUV sales (read: Sequoia) by offering a less expensive vehicle with the same seating capacity and much better cargo capacity that is also good in the snow. 7 seats you can get the minivan with AWD, 8 seats and AWD and you have to spend $10K on the "truck".

Nay

Uncle Ben
11-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Dude, doesn't buying a minivan require 2 testicles as the down payment? :eek: :Princess: Nope just a left one!

Hulk
11-13-2006, 09:26 PM
4 kids ?? You have 2 more on the way? !:eek:

Not that I know of. But both the kids have friends, so Karie wants to be able to haul the whole gang in a single vehicle.

Hulk
11-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Honda has had problems with the 5 speed transmission in the previous model - they extended the warranty to 100K miles, but not sure if that warranty would transfer.

Looks like it will transfer, but many of these Odysseys already have close to 100k on the clock.

If you've never driven an '04+ Quest I highly recommend a look.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Shark Bait
11-13-2006, 09:38 PM
I still think the Family Truckster is the car for you! :grinpimp:

Hulk
11-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Bought this today. Found it on Craigslist. Only 72k miles and all leather interior. Plus it was the color that I preferred.

Here are some pictures after Charlie and I took it to the car wash. It's a very pretty shade of medium metallic gray. Charlie was excited because he says the paint has sparkles in it.

Uncle Ben
11-19-2006, 08:09 AM
Bought this today. Found it on Craigslist. Only 72k miles and all leather interior. Plus it was the color that I preferred.

Here are some pictures after Charlie and I took it to the car wash. It's a very pretty shade of medium metallic gray. Charlie was excited because he says the paint has sparkles in it.

Saaaweet! Nice ride Matt! I think Charlie will be happy for quite a while! :cool: :thumb:

wesintl
11-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Nice and clean. :thumb:

When are you putting the DUB's on :confused:

Shark Bait
11-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Way cool, Matt. I rode in a Honda Ridgeline this weekend and was pretty impressed. Honda does a good job.

Three Wheel Ben
11-20-2006, 06:37 AM

So that's what is wrong with america, you can buy minivans at the liquor store :lmao: :lmao: .

Just kidding nice van.

Hulk
11-20-2006, 11:33 AM
You can put a lot of beer in a minivan! :)