PDA

View Full Version : Chinamans Gulch

Romer
11-11-2006, 11:47 PM
First off it was great to wheel again with the FJ Team. That makes 5 events I think I have been with them. It's sad to see the end of the run, but it will be nice to have Robbie around for at least a little while. Great day and great weather. Most of the breakage was fixed right there. I'll post some wheeling pictures in a minute.

I had a surprise when we left the gas station. As soon as I started going over 40 miles and hour the vehicle would start shaking. Looked in the dark like my drive shaft and Perry and I decided to limp home at 40 mph. Got home and the rear drive shaft was in pretty bad shape. Must have hit it on a big rock, it was bent. The rear U joints look like they ground into the metal with the vibration.

Took the rear shaft off and engaged the CDL and the truck drives fine, in 2WD.

Romer
11-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Day started out at the Gas station at Johnsons Corners. Robbie lead the run and Chris from the FJ team was gunner.

Yes, Perry got a haircut. BTW - wish Perry well on his upcoming adventures

Romer
11-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Rachel, Matt and I had a blast and lots of good wheeling

Romer
11-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Then Yuri's bolts for his steering arm broke where they attach to the knuckle. Scavanged some rigs and came up with 4 bolts (I donated 2 from my ARB).

Got it fixed and he finished the obstacle

Romer
11-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Then came Whale Rock and Mike tried the line on the left (Facing the rock). He almost made it up but bent his tie rods which where quickly fixed by the team with a winch.

Romer
11-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Mike made a great line and made it over on the next obstacle.

Romer
11-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Then came the last major obstacle. We all made it through without damage. Rachel needed a strap. If she had a front locker, she would have been able to make it through.

Romer
11-12-2006, 12:06 AM
It was a beautiful day and fun run. Always a tough one. It was great to wheel with the FJ Team today and over the past year.

waggoner5
11-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Chinamans has always been one of my favorites. I can't wait to get up there and run these trails with you guys.

Convert
11-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Nice report Ken, thanks FJC trail team for a great run here are a couple of pics

Bighead
11-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Nice pics. I have not been there since last year...I need to head back.

Convert
11-12-2006, 09:24 AM
scott making the double slab look easy

Convert
11-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Mike clear to the left on double slab :bowdown:

Convert
11-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Nay on the obsticle

wesintl
11-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Ken, I think I need to retube my rear drive shaft as well. It didn't take quite the beating as yours but it does have a couple of dents and minor candy kane to it and I have some vibration driving. :(

I guess we'll have to change perry from :perry: to :headbang:
I'll post up some pics once I DL them. I think I took more pics with mikes camera :eek:

Thank You to Robbie, Chris, and Rod(?) I really enjoyed a nice day one the Trail with good people. Thanks Again to the Trail team and Toyota I've really enjoyed the events with them.

:risingsun

wesintl
11-12-2006, 10:10 AM
this is all i have... lol

Romer
11-12-2006, 11:14 AM
A few more pictures.

If took a picture of Rachel going up whale rock, can you e-mail it to me.

subzali
11-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Who was driving Robbie's 80? Oh Chinaman's...I think I need to be taller before going back there. Looks like fun though, great run!

Romer
11-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Who was driving Robbie's 80? Oh Chinaman's...I think I need to be taller before going back there. Looks like fun though, great run!

Don't you recognize your Uncle Ben?:eek:

wesintl
11-12-2006, 01:16 PM
I think I used to much romer pedal on the last obstacle :p:

wesintl
11-12-2006, 01:17 PM

If a stock FJCruiser can make it your 32's and a lockright is fine:thumb:

although that a-trac is a wild card you don't expect. It amazes me EVERY time!

Romer
11-12-2006, 02:31 PM
I think I used to much romer pedal on the last obstacle :p:

Mine wasn't on that obstacle. I think it was after when it was getting dark. I remember hearing a bang and saying to Ige, "I didn't even see that rock." she said she didn't either. I think the rear right went down a bit and thats why the DS got hit. I am just guessing. Didn't notice any driving issues until we hit pavement.

JadeRunner
11-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Lots of fun as usual. Glad Robbie choose to do another run with us. It was fun seeing Robbie wheel with his lifted FJ and Chris with his new yellow FJ (not lifted). You could tell they were having fun taking the harder obstacles. After a season of wheelin them they were being more aggressive. I have some good video of them, as well as the rest of the guys. But, I will need some time to get them edited and posted.

After we got Uri’s runner back together he eased over the tough line on the optional obstacle Russian style. Oleg running around shouting\spotting in Russian. Treeroots FJ40 sure is built up nice and fun to watch. He had the hard line on whale rock under control and almost whipped. He just needed to go for it promptly while he was in the vertical position. An un-nerving thing to do I’m sure. It was nice seeing Rachel tackling a tough trail in her 3rd gen runner. She did well and I’m sure she learned a few things. She’ll be spankin’ the boys on the trail soon.

Oleg pointed out a new line on the double slab which worked well for me. I also took a new line across whale rock that was fun and clean. I had a good day.

Man Jerk
11-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Cool report. Glad you guys had fun. I've been spending my weekend ripping the manifolds apart, and other associated fun things.

Ran that trail last weekend. My 1st "real" trail in CO. I loved it.

And guess what...

I wrecked my rear driveshaft as well.

subzali
11-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Don't you recognize your Uncle Ben?:eek:

Not by his left arm in the picture above, no :rolleyes: ;) :D

If a stock FJCruiser can make it your 32's and a lockright is fine:thumb:

Au contraire, remember this (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1841)? And it's 31 x 10.50 :rolleyes: :D
:eek: :o :rolleyes: :rip: :thumb: (broken) :flop: :doh: :homer: :bawl: :D :cheers:

Uncle Ben
11-12-2006, 08:33 PM
<snip>

Au contraire, remember this (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1841)? And it's 31 x 10.50 :rolleyes: :D
:eek: :o :rolleyes: :rip: :thumb: (broken) :flop: :doh: :homer: :bawl: :D :cheers:

It's not the equipment a person has as much as the line a person takes! Wes did all of Chinamans yesterday with bald 31" bias tires! He never got strapped! ;) :thumb: :cheers:

subzali
11-12-2006, 09:07 PM
It's not the equipment you have as much as the line you take! Wes did all of Chinamans yesterday with bald 31" bias tires! He never got strapped! ;) :thumb: :cheers:

I know, but Wes is a better driver than me! :bawl: :D

wesintl
11-12-2006, 09:12 PM
bald 31" bias tires!

You think they're bald now wait til next year when I'm still wheelin em :lmao:

I know, but Wes is a better driver than me! :bawl: :D

yeah right, I certainly didn't finesse the last obstacle... that's for sure. :rant:

Uncle Ben
11-12-2006, 10:18 PM
It's not the equipment a person has as much as the line a person takes! Wes did all of Chinamans yesterday with bald 31" bias tires! He never got strapped! ;) :thumb: :cheers:

Oops....sorry....wasn't meaning "you" personally....just making a general statement. :eek: :cheers:

nakman
11-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Wes, you rule dude.. as evidenced by your display going up the waterful at the end of Kane Creek (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=36&cat=512) last May... ;) now everyone tell Wes how cool the gallery is.

Looks like a great run, I was thinking of y'all while at the mall :rolleyes: welcome home :robbie:!!!! :cheers: :beer2:

subzali
11-13-2006, 12:06 AM
It's all in good fun, UB. The gallery is cool! I've never seen those pics/vids yet!

Nay
11-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Awesome run! Amazing how few pictures you take when you have your four kids with you :Princess: , so I'm waiting to see the video and rest of the shots!

The FJ Cruisers did awfully well and it was great to see the team again, as well as everybody else :cheers:

Nay

Romer
11-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer
Don't you recognize your Uncle Ben?!:eek:

Not by his left arm in the picture above, no :rolleyes: ;) :D

Is this view better?

Nick F.
11-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Caption quest?:hill:

subzali
11-13-2006, 11:16 PM
lol! :hill:

Red_Chili
11-14-2006, 03:02 PM
"A smile a day keeps the ladies away!"

Uncle Ben
11-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Caption quest?:hill:

"I'll have this sink hooked up in just a minute!" :p:

bh4rnnr
11-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer
Don't you recognize your Uncle Ben?!:eek:

Is this view better?

Feeling the wrath of the burrito from last nights dinner, Uncle Ben Decided it would be best to take a break under the Fj Cruiser.

Rzeppa
11-14-2006, 07:19 PM
You think they're bald now wait til next year when I'm still wheelin em :lmao:Glad to see you getting your use out of those tyres! Definately more than they got when they were on my 45 in the GWN.

All, great photos, makes me even more bummed that I missed this run. I spent all morning doing web site work, then all afternoon working on my FIL's 60. Good news is, he drove it home today!

JadeRunner
11-14-2006, 11:34 PM
You should have blown that off and wheeled Charlette Jeff.

Kevin, my wife and I were bustin up on that plummer butt pic. One for the archives.

AxleIke
06-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my family and i went up here yesterday. It was an awesome trail, but we couldn't complete it, due to this obstacle:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=3078&stc=1&d=1163311450

I'm double locked with 4.7 low, and i tried the line depicted above, and nothing. Kept sliding to the left, into the holes and high centering. What is the line for this beast, or is this just a ground clearance obstacle?

BTW, the waterfall is even more fun coming down. :rolleyes:

Nay
06-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Right tires all the way in the dirt up on the right. It leans you in good, but you can cruise through it on that line.

That obstacle is the sleeper on Chinaman, because if you go up the middle (the line in the pic) you'll catch your diff and it just wants to push you into the big rock on your left. This is the one that nails people on every run I've ever been on.

Of course, you can slap on some 38's and probably walk right up the middle:D

(¯`·._.·[xtr3m3]·._.·´¯)
06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Or drive your 40. I shot straight through the middle last year.

treerootCO
06-04-2007, 11:35 AM
High and to the right. Don't turn in too soon or you'll slide toward the rock.

wesintl
06-04-2007, 11:47 AM
·._.·´¯);36748']Or drive your 40. I shot straight through the middle last year.

didn't work for me the last time. Before that I walked right up that middle line in a 40. I'm not sure if i tore up my ds on that or those ledges before that.

AxleIke
06-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Huh.

I tried in the dirt to the right. Still fell off. That rock in the middle dragged my left front tire to the left and down i went. I didn't feel i could go any further over.

wesintl
06-04-2007, 12:45 PM
you need to take it like Ige... :D

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1039233&postcount=8

Red_Chili
06-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Ewww...

AxleIke
06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Ahhh.

Well, that makes sense.

Unfortunetly, i'm not sure by truck would remain upright for that manuever. too narrow, and too tall.

DevinSixtySeven
06-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Hey Isaac, good to see you and Natalie again.

We'd just come up from Medano, thought we'd give OCG a shot. We were fortunate to meet another guy and his dad rolling in at the same time, and met Ike & co. coming down just after Whale Rock.

That's a fun trail. Not a good place for the front bumper I'm running, tho...I think it hung at least once on every major obstacle between the entrance and the waterfall (or maybe I just need to take the easy lines? not gonna happen).

I tried the Rockpile, but ran out of flex & traction...driving two-foot with the IFS, slushbox and open diffs was good enough to get about halfway up, guess it's time for that locker.

-Sean

Nay
06-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Ahhh.

Well, that makes sense.

Unfortunetly, i'm not sure by truck would remain upright for that manuever. too narrow, and too tall.

I've taken my 80 through on that line - it feels too tippy, but it does work. Although I think I went more up the middle last time 'cause the family was still strapped in and that kind of lean creates much screaming :eek: (the kids don't like it either:D )

Uncle Ben
06-05-2007, 11:19 AM
you need to take it like Ige... :D

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1039233&postcount=8

That is the best line! Not nearly as bad as it looks if your carb does what it should! :thumb: