PDA

View Full Version : wanted: dead winch rope

subzali
11-12-2006, 06:33 PM
EDIT: see below

Uncle Ben
11-12-2006, 07:37 PM
So for senior design we are looking at using cables to suspend a platform to walk across, and I was wondering if anybody had some spare winch cable that they weren't using they'd be willing to donate. It should be strong enough to support the weight of a person right? If there are four of them to support a person's weight?

Anyway I don't need much, we have a nominal distance of 10 feet to span, so nominally 40 feet, figure 60 feet just in case we screw up something or need extra for tensioning/whatever. Anybody got some? BTW what kind of diameters does winch rope come in? 3/8? 1/2?

I have an unused stretch of 3/8" x 94' wire rope you can have.

CardinalFJ60
11-13-2006, 10:29 AM
I too have some wire winch cable. ~100' It's got one kink in it, not sure how much is 'good' on either side of the kink...

-s

subzali
11-13-2006, 10:21 PM
EDIT: see below

Uncle Ben
11-14-2006, 07:23 AM
So we will be cutting it up into pieces and you probably won't get it back, just to be clear. I can pick it up at the next meeting or work something else out. Thanks guys!

What you do with it would be your biz! ;) :cheers:

subzali
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
BUMP.

I'm on the lookout again for some junk wire rope/winch cable that folks have laying around and just need to get rid of. Let me know what you got.

corsair23
03-30-2012, 04:31 PM
I've got what comes with a M15K (90' of 7/16" IIRC)

I don't think it was ever used. I was holding on to it for possible use on Jenny Creek or Argentine as needed. Since you are sort of heading those up, if you don't think we can put the cable to use on either of those then you can have it :thumb:

subzali
03-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Jeff, do you mean for building post- and cable fences? I'm not sure, but I think the Forest Service typically likes to use new cable for those projects, and knowing the government, probably has specifications for the diameter, type, etc. which that rope may or may not meet. Also, 90' is pretty short for post- and cable projects, it just doesn't get you very far.

But I am planning on needing this for a different type of project up at Argentine (a winching project), so it would still go to a good cause! :thumb: