PDA

View Full Version : one more time, which end goes in the shackle?

nakman
11-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Also which end is the military wrap.. :confused: the pin is about 3" towards one side compared to the other.. ...

Uncle Ben
11-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Also which end is the military wrap.. :confused: the pin is about 3" towards one side compared to the other.. ...

You answered your own question! Which eye has a wrap and which one doesn't? Hint: Short side forward in stock form on the rear springs....flipped for extended wheelbase. ;) :cheers:

nakman
11-12-2006, 10:35 PM
but.. but... "short side forward" also implies short side back in the back, keeping the same end in the shackles.. which increases wheelbase? I'd have to put the military wrap on the frame in back to put the "short side forward." here's all 4:

wesintl
11-12-2006, 10:42 PM
disassemble the pack and drill a new hole to keep the mil on that end....

whatcha doin anyway?

Uncle Ben
11-12-2006, 10:43 PM
The wrap is the frame pin side not shackle side. Stock has short sides all at pin side. Inother words stock will have the short sides of the sprigs closest to the center of the vehicle....long sides reach out away from the center of the vehicle. Clear as mud now? ;) :cheers:

nakman
11-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Inother words stock will have the short sides of the sprigs closest to the center of the vehicle....long sides reach out away from the center of the vehicle.

Ok so this side bolts to the center of the vehicle..

Uncle Ben
11-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Ok so this side bolts to the center of the vehicle..

Yessir....

nakman
11-12-2006, 10:55 PM
whatcha doin anyway?

Trying to breathe some new life into an old set a friend gave me... think the height will be somewhere around 2-3" over stock once installed.

leiniesred
11-13-2006, 09:02 AM
mil wrap on the Solid, (no shackle) end. I had to think about this Saturady night myself.

nakman
11-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Thought about flipping the rear springs all night.. I like the longer wheelbase idea, and if I understand correctly the additional tasks associated with doing so are cutting the fenders more (maybe), getting the driveshaft retubed so it's longer, and shimming up the axle to resore the proper pinion angle? what else? I think I'll wait & see how everything with the springs go in stock form, then decide on this later, even though it's more work that way.

Uncle Ben
11-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Thought about flipping the rear springs all night.. I like the longer wheelbase idea, and if I understand correctly the additional tasks associated with doing so are cutting the fenders more (maybe), getting the driveshaft retubed so it's longer, and shimming up the axle to resore the proper pinion angle? what else? I think I'll wait & see how everything with the springs go in stock form, then decide on this later, even though it's more work that way.

Sometimes you have to do some creative shock pin and possible brake line altering also. The front flip will gain you a bunch of better approach angle with no fender trimming. Stock steering arms might be the only challange.

farnhamstj
11-13-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm under the impression you should not flip the front springs unless you are sprung over and/or cut and turn. Could be some exhaust issues with the rear?