PDA

View Full Version : Introduction - Better late than never? DOH!

corsair23
11-16-2006, 02:31 AM
As I was taking some pics of my 40 last weekend I realized that I never really introduced myself to everyone...I just showed up one day throwing Cruiser stuff up for sale like a tornado...Guess I had a one track mind at that time but I realize how inappropriate that was :(

Anywho, hopefully being late is better than never is this regard...

A little background info...Name is Jeff, I live in the "Ranch" with my wife we have two daughters, ages 3 & 7. We are all natives, although the wife being an Army brat has lived all over the country. We all like the outdoors, enjoy camping, off roading, etc. etc. Each year we typically spend a week camping outside Ridgway at the state park.

Years ago I owned an '82 SR5 p/u that I lifted, put on big tires, roll bar, KC lights, the whole 9 yards. Wheeled it as much as I could before selling it to help pay for my final years of college (school was pretty cheap back then)...

Fast forward about 15 years...I always really liked the FJ40 series and finally when I was able to I bought my first 40 in Feb '02 from a guy down in the Springs. It was a '76, pretty much stock except for a lift and 33x12.5 BFG ATs. I had BIG plans for it...Dropped $3000+ into mechanical work on it with Ron at RMC before reality hit me. The guy I bought it from had been fixing it up as a project for him and his son. There was a lot still to be done and it was sucking up $$ faster than I could afford. So, aside from the compulsion to continue to buy stuff for it that I never got around to putting on, it pretty much sat as is for 3+ years. I drove it as much as possible but just never could find the time to turn it into what I really wanted...Not to mention the cost of getting it there.

So, after talking it over with the wife I decided to search for a 40 that was already built like I wanted my '76 to one day be. As usual, I do things backwards such as buying stuff that I never get around to using (some compulsion to let items age like fine wine), etc. So, I actually bought another 40 before selling my '76. The '76 was my first after all and although I know it had to go I really didn't want it to.

My second, and current 40 is a 12/74 that I spotted on eBay back in Sept '05 and ended up buying. I bought it from a guy in CA. What I could gather is this guy bought the 40 thinking it would be a great vehicle to use to go from his house in the San Francisco area to his home in Tahoe :rolleyes: . Previous owner to him was a guy by the name of George Robertson from San Jose CA. This guy kept very detailed records...I have a 2" thick 3 ring binder with records dating back to '91.

I took it over to Ron @ RMC for the full inspection shortly after its arrival and I was extremely pleased to get a good report back. It had some minor issues but nothing real major...Worst issue was the dented front drive shaft (which I knew about before sale)...Had the drive shaft fixed, changed all the fluids, flushed and filled the radiator, and other PM stuff shortly thereafter.

Since purchasing the 40 I haven't really been able to do much to it due to a lack of time. It doesn't really need much luckily. I have discovered since the purchase that my 12/74 FJ40 is kind of a hybrid...It has the older style tub, older style doors, rear swing gates etc. while at the same time it has the newer style windshield frame (wipers at the bottom), later model turn signals, 2F, etc. When I bought the 40 it only had a soft top so I searched for and bought a hard top for it. Found out that the older style tops with the hatch don't match up real well up front at the windshield frame channel but in the end we got it to work. I may one day try to put on a later year channel if I can figure out a way to do so without possibly ruining the fiberglass top getting the old channel off and the new one on.

Other items I plan on doing include getting rear seats for the girls, swapping out my M8274 for the M9000 on it now, front bumper change, replace all the turn signals, figure out my electrical gremlins (something is draining the battery), roll bar padding/covers, some stereo enhancements, and other odds and ends. I also plan on building a hoist deal in my garage to facilitate getting the hard top on and off. In addition to these items I will be dropping down in size from the 35x12.5 BFG MTs that are on it to a set of 33x12.5 MTRs in the near future.

Well, if you've made it this far, I might as well list out the specs of my junk as it sits today:

12/74 FJ40
Stock 2F engine (actual mileage unknown :()
Headers
SM420
Stock Toyota T-Case
Custom Skid Plate
Rancho lift with RS9000s (yeah I know, supposedly stiff as he$$)
SUA w/ SR
After market guages
Recaro front seats
Full Cage
ARB locked front and rear
York compressor w/ air tank
Tuffy Console
CB
4+ Rear tire carrier
Sliders
M9000 winch
Hot water shower deal

Other stuff I'm sure I am forgetting...

Hopefully someday I will be able to meet more of the Rising Sun members in person and actually join you all for a run, a meeting, and be considered for becoming a member.

Here are some pics of my 40:

First one is before purchase...Rest are as she sits today...

P.S. Forgive the typos...it is late :rolleyes:

corsair23
11-16-2006, 02:33 AM
Few more...

Romer
11-16-2006, 08:36 AM
That's a nice looking truck Jeff.

Welcome

nakman
11-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Very nice, thanks for sharing! is the stereo in the Tuffy? Did you hook up the OBA stuff or did that come with it? what do you want for the M9000? :)

wesintl
11-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Cool. Nice write up corsiar.

A thread like this will be perfect for the new members section we talked about at the meeting.

I'll try and create this new section before the end of the weekend.

Hulk
11-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Great looking 40! Looks like you have A/C as well.

corsair23
11-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks all for the nice comments...

Answers to some of the questions:

Stereo: Yep, in the Tuffy but currently disconnected. I believe it is part of my electrical draining (aside from the ancient battery that was in there before) and plan to check all the wiring. Whoever did the install did a nice job, routing all of the wires where normally the rear heater lines would run. Speakers consist of one of those BTB 'Ruminator' boxes right behind the seats. That will have to come out to make room for the girls :)

M9000: I haven't decided what to do with it yet...I was contemplating using it on my future 80/LX450 but it might be a little small for that. Main reason for the change is that the M8274 is basically new (4 or so years old but never really used) and the new front bumper I have was designed to be used with a M8274

OBA: Came installed by the PPO. They did a nice job I think. York Compressor is used and tied in to run the ARBs and offer both from and rear air "stations" with a storage tank under the rear. For now it works well. From what I can tell the PPO at the same time installed extended breathers for the diffs tieing everything together

AC: No AC...York is for the OBA setup and in cab is an aftermarket Mojave heating unit. Seems to work well enough although I've haven't used it when it has been really cold. I do plan on installing a rear heater (one of those items I bought for the '76 that is aging on a garage shelf) down the road though.

farnhamstj
11-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Nice looking rig. Looking forward to meeting you in person. Probably at the Snow and Pizza run.

MDH33
11-22-2006, 09:17 AM
That's a great looking cruiser Jeff. Glad you finally posted some pics!;)

Hope you can wheel it sometime soon. :thumb: