PDA

View Full Version : Does writing letters even DO anything???

Red_Chili
11-17-2006, 08:13 AM
So you guys and gals who faithfully respond to my requests for letters to land managers, do you wonder if they ever DO anything? Is it worth your effort? And you who figure "someone else will take care of it", is there value in EVERYONE writing those letters, not just the faithful few?

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?p=21028#post21028

Bruce Miller
11-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm a letter writer. I think the battle for our right to recreate on our public lands as well as our private property rights can only be waged at the grassroots level. We cannot trust our federal or state elected legislators to represent us any longer. Members of Congress see letters as votes and the only thing on their minds is getting reelected. To do that, they need votes. Letters are powerful. Add to that regular contributions to organizations like Blue Ribbon who lobby on our behalf, and we're going to be heard.

Unfortunately, the Federal government and NGO's (non government organizations) with their huge war chests are aggressively going after control of our public, and private, lands thru land grabbing schemes like Roadless Area plans and conservation easements. I just learned that it is typical for an on duty BLM employee to have riding around with them a member of an NGO, typically someone from The Nature Conservancy, Sierra Club, and others, who act as advisors to the agency on "environmental issues" that usually end up in land being locked up from the public's use.

Maybe a small portion of each one of our club meetings could be spent by each of us writing a letter to a predetermined member of Congress, etc, regarding a predetermined topic of interest to the 4X4 community. As I've said before, I will donate all the postage for any letter written in this way.

Red_Chili
11-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Hmmm... On the Bill Moore Lake grant letter writing opportunity in Land Use, Brant was please to receive four letters from people he does not know. That's between a posting here, and on Colorado 4x4. Seems a little light to me. :confused:

So, wassup O gnarly d00ds and gals? HMMM? I know you gots computer time to do dat :ranger:

Shall we show them that :risingsun: [nag mode off]

Red_Chili
11-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Another letter writing opportunity- this is the season for grant writing, to put all that OHV money collected from OHV stickers to good use in trails maintenance, new routes, mitigation, that kinda thing. Take a minute!
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?p=21339#post21339