PDA

View Full Version : Man those diffs are heavy!

Romer
11-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Spent the day tearing down both axles to re-gear to 4.88's. Those diffs are heavy and I can tell will be a real pain in the ass getting back in. Thinking I'll need to use a jack to raise it while I settle it in. Probably have to get one of the kids to work the jack.

Any tips or lessons learned here would be appreciated. These are diff's with lockers built in.:beer:

cruiserdan
11-25-2006, 06:15 PM
The rear diff weighs about 100 pounds. I like to use a hydraulic jack to lift it into place. I also fit the diff gasket to the housing before I attempt to reinstall the diff.

Be sure that the gasket is pushed up against the housing before you slide the diff into place. If the gasket is not flush against the diff you risk tearing it when you slide the diff into place.

Crash
11-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Aww, what does a parts guy (GURU) know about real work????
Hi Dan :cool: Looking forward to seeing you up front in the Cruise Moab 2007 tech inspection line!

The rear diff weighs about 100 pounds. I like to use a hydraulic jack to lift it into place. I also fit the diff gasket to the housing before I attempt to reinstall the diff.

Be sure that the gasket is pushed up against the housing before you slide the diff into place. If the gasket is not flush against the diff you risk tearing it when you slide the diff into place.

cruiserdan
11-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Having done a few "curls" with a rear diff, this parts geek has a good idea about the particulars........:lmao:

The old "diff on the chest whilst you roll the creeper under the truck" gig has been played out by me.:hill:

I prefer a lift these days.

nakman
11-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Ken, get really good at doing this. ;)

bvb
11-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Dan, How are you ever going to be in practice to lift one on the trail? A little umph and in they go right in!:D A jack is easy if you have the extra hand to adjust it.

Man Jerk
11-25-2006, 11:53 PM
I've done it too many times laying on my back. Roll over, grab 3rd, and try to roll your body with the 3rd so you are back onto your back. Lift and hope you can get it on the housing before your arms give out. That and hope you don't drop it onto your ches (guilty :rolleyes: ).

All in all a crapload of fun!

cruiserdan
11-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Dan, How are you ever going to be in practice to lift one on the trail? A little umph and in they go right in!:D A jack is easy if you have the extra hand to adjust it.

It's quite easy actually.

You see I let Ige do it, I just pass the tools off to her.:thumb:

nuclearlemon
11-26-2006, 01:00 PM
dd you see my thread a year ago on the dangers of stabbing by hand...ouch. i need to find me a sexy man to stab my diffs

Romer
11-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Definitly will use a Jack and see if I can get a hand from someone to fit them in. I'll probably take Friday off to put it back together. Hopefully it will all go well so I can go to the Caravan for Kids.

bigbluefj
11-28-2006, 10:39 PM
listen to me now and hear me later you need to get pumped up ken.. as hans & franz would say on SNL :thumb: or do the easy way with a few friend's and a case or two of beer and need that jack and be done no time flat.

kevin

Red_Chili
11-29-2006, 10:52 AM
The old "diff on the chest whilst you roll the creeper under the truck" gig has been played out by me.:hill:

Exactly the method I was going to suggest, and use regularly. With the identical diff I might add.

Oh, and I noticed a reference to a gasket. That is so.... 80s. (I make-a the funny...)

DON'T use a gasket, use a good FIPG product such as Toyota Orange driveline FIPG, or better yet, a Permatex product branded "The Right Stuff". Holds incomparably. Won't seep even after rock-bashing.

Romer
11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Oleg was kind enough to come by last night and help get the front up and in and loaned me his tranny jack for when I put the rear in with Ben.

I think the gasket is better to ensure the diff is properly lined up, the goop you mentioned was debated on mud for a while.

Romer
11-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Oh and I forgot to thank matt for calling after his gig to see if I still needed help. You guys Rock:beer:

Red_Chili
11-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Toy techs use the FIPG FWIW. Preferred method on minitrucks, including elocker axles (perhaps ESP. elocker axles).

I think driving an 80 has led to muscle atrophy!!! :D

bustanutley
11-30-2006, 01:15 PM
I always just sack up and bench press them into place, they are super awkward.

Romer
11-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Oleg came over as I said and helped me with the front. Two of us with his tranny Jack. Ben comes over last night in shorts (what else) and decides he doesn't need the tranny jack. He gets on the creeper and puts the diff on his chest, rolls under the truck and just bench presses it up and into place. I ask him if he needs a hand "No, that's OK I got it." without even struggling.

I need to work out more.

FJBen
11-30-2006, 04:29 PM
I need to work out more.

Three Wheel Ben
11-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Is that beast moving yet or what??

Romer
11-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Is that beast moving yet or what??

Drove it last night. You can really feel the low end benifit, went out to check the lockers in the snow.

Drove to work today and seems peppier, but too much traffic and ice to give it a good test.

The diffs work great Ben, Nice job on the re-gear:beer:

Thanks