PDA

View Full Version : what shocks to get? (limit up, or limit down?)

nakman
11-26-2006, 06:28 PM
This is on the front. At rest, I measure 15", bolt to bolt (eye to eye), with no shocks. On a ramp I can compress down to 12", and extend up to 19.5".

The 6253-H5 shocks, with 14" collapsed length, bottomed out just hitting bumps in the road. So with the presumption that I stick with the often-recommended Bilstein 5125, I'm leaning towards the 6251-H5, where I get the full 12" compression but lose the last 1" of extension. right way to go? table from http://www.bilstein.com/offroad_5125.php

Romer
11-26-2006, 06:31 PM
What truck, your 40 already has bilsteins?

nakman
11-26-2006, 07:09 PM
The question is, should I limit my "up travel" by 1" or so, or limit my "down travel" by 1" or so...... Not "what have you done to the 40 now..." :rolleyes:

:) ;) :lmao:

Romer
11-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Those shocks were measured to go with the 4" lift, but since you got rid of that as well . . .

treerootCO
11-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Extend the bumpstops. You are more likely to max them out then compress them all the way unless you jump it but that one time you do.....crunch.

nakman
11-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Extend the bumpstops. You are more likely to max them out then compress them all the way unless you jump it but that one time you do.....crunch.

Yeah but the next size up only gives me 1.5" of up travel, and less down travel than I have potential for. Go one more size up from there and I get the full down travel but now only 1" of up.. it already bottomed out a shock with only 1" up, I don't want the BS that low.

Uncle Ben
11-26-2006, 08:21 PM
This is on the front. At rest, I measure 15", bolt to bolt (eye to eye), with no shocks. On a ramp I can compress down to 12", and extend up to 19.5".

The 6253-H5 shocks, with 14" collapsed length, bottomed out just hitting bumps in the road. So with the presumption that I stick with the often-recommended Bilstein 5125, I'm leaning towards the 6251-H5, where I get the full 12" compression but lose the last 1" of extension. right way to go? table from http://www.bilstein.com/offroad_5125.php

Depending on the distance at rest between the BS and the axle it would be better to go longer with the shocks and lower the bumpstops the inch needed.

nakman
11-26-2006, 08:48 PM
There's about 1.5" of space between the top of the axle and the bottom of the bs.

Uncle Ben
11-26-2006, 09:36 PM
There's about 1.5" of space between the top of the axle and the bottom of the bs.

Sounds like you need to lift it an inch and lower the bumpstops! :rolleyes: :hill:

Nay
11-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Within the 5125's you posted, you need to go with the 12" collapsed length so you have 3" of up travel and 3.5" down. Balance is more important that what you do or don't "limit".

Have you looked at some of the short body Bilstein models that I believe are in the 6100 class if you need more travel? 15" eye to eye is not much to work with in standard shock configs...

leiniesred
11-27-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm with Kevin. I've driven around on a low lift truck enough to know. 3 inches of up travel is about the minimum on a daily driver. I'm a lot happier with about 5 inches of uptravel.

You could always move your shock mounts. I had to tilt my rear shocks to get max travel out of it. I have 14" vertical of travel at the shock mount on the axle. The compressed length is 8" and the extended length is 22". That shock doesn't exist. I'm running highly tilted Rancho 9012s and am happy so far.

I could move my shock mount to the front or back of the axle instead of on top to stand them up straighter, or punch holes in the floor and mount the shocks halfway up the roll bar. :)

farnhamstj
11-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Limit compression and you'll break the mounts and or shocks, limit droop and you'll limit articulation..

nakman
11-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Ok, thanks all. So any other adverse effects to limiting down travel, other than reduced articulation? Nay I looked for the 6100 specs but all I found were vehicles and lifts and what fits what, not extended & collapsed dimensions. Last piece of info, is when the 6253 shocks were mounted up front I measured 15.5" eye to eye, so the shock itself pushed the truck up 1/2". And they were pretty tough to compress to get reinstalled in back.. is that normal?

leiniesred
11-27-2006, 10:49 AM
I think the only negative is that shocks don't make really great limit straps. You MIGHT be able to pull one apart (usually the eyes break off) Not likely, but it is kinda "poor form" to use 'em as limiters.

Uncle Ben
11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
I think the only negative is that shocks don't make really great limit straps. You MIGHT be able to pull one apart (usually the eyes break off) Not likely, but it is kinda "poor form" to use 'em as limiters.

I concur Dr. Rudy! :rolleyes: Shocks do not last long when the valving on the piston becomes the limiting strap! :wav: :rip: :flop:

Nay
11-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Ok, thanks all. So any other adverse effects to limiting down travel, other than reduced articulation? Nay I looked for the 6100 specs but all I found were vehicles and lifts and what fits what, not extended & collapsed dimensions. Last piece of info, is when the 6253 shocks were mounted up front I measured 15.5" eye to eye, so the shock itself pushed the truck up 1/2". And they were pretty tough to compress to get reinstalled in back.. is that normal?

Sorry, the short body are 7100 remote reservoir...nothing that seems to fit your application. The applications for 6100's that I pulled up show dimensions (5100 only shows applications). Ideally you'd want an 8" travel shock, but that's not going to work for up travel. Any way to raise the upper mounts by 1.5" so you can use the 6252 model in the 5125 class? Or maybe move to a pin mount shock if that is the factory mount style so you aren't increasing compressed length with eye adapters.

Bilsteins are very difficult to compress by hand...almost impossible if you can't get some real leverage on them.

nakman
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Yes, thanks I've been thinking along those same lines all day, have an idea in my head for a way to raise the upper mounts. I'll try to stare at it some more tonight.