PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready for action

Nick F.
11-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Got my t/c back together finally. I suprise myself sometimes. Turned out real well from what I can tell on the bench. All new seals and bearings and a couple of new gears. Everything is in spec too. Now I just got to get the sucker back on. Anyone want dibs on my truck if I kill myself trying to hold 2 gears in place with one hand and try to hoist the t/c up with my other:hill: I want to run synthetic in it, would it be smarter to wait till after 1000 miles or so?
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NFerrando/DSCF1409.jpg

Uncle Ben
11-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Got my t/c back together finally. I suprise myself sometimes. Turned out real well from what I can tell on the bench. All new seals and bearings and a couple of new gears. Everything is in spec too. Now I just got to get the sucker back on. Anyone want dibs on my truck if I kill myself trying to hold 2 gears in place with one hand and try to hoist the t/c up with my other:hill: I want to run synthetic in it, would it be smarter to wait till after 1000 miles or so?

Put what ever gear lube in it you plan on running. Engine bearings (bushings in reality) take break in and dino oil has better cling for break-in. T-case and trannys are ball bearings and rollers....you should already have prelubed them with light grease so your set to drive that sucker! New gears? New gears do require break-in but basically that just means avoiding getting them too hot.

corsair23
11-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Looks nice, and with a T-case saver to boot! Get some help lifting things in place...Just wouldn't feel right getting dibs on a 40 that way :hill:

Uncle Ben
11-26-2006, 09:49 PM

Put what ever gear lube in it you plan on running. Engine bearings (bushings in reality) take break in and dino oil has better cling for break-in. T-case and trannys are ball bearings and rollers....you should already have prelubed them with light grease so you're set to drive that sucker! New gears? New gears do require break-in but basically that just means avoiding getting them too hot.

Whats squeezed out of the joints? Did you use FIPG instead of gaskets?

Nick F.
11-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Put what ever gear lube in it you plan on running. Engine bearings (bushings in reality) take break in and dino oil has better cling for break-in. T-case and trannys are ball bearings and rollers....you should already have prelubed them with light grease so your set to drive that sucker! New gears? New gears do require break-in but basically that just means avoiding getting them too hot.

I put a good coat of gear oil on everything as I put it back together. Is light grease more proper? I got the t/c saver because small cracks we forming at the usual places. Had to really look to see them, but I figured they can only get worse. 30$ on ebay. I can't make one for that price:thumb:

Uncle Ben
11-26-2006, 10:15 PM
I put a good coat of gear oil on everything as I put it back together. Is light grease more proper? I got the t/c saver because small cracks we forming at the usual places. Had to really look to see them, but I figured they can only get worse. 30$ on ebay. I can't make one for that price:thumb:

Gear lube is OK. Main thing is to not install dry bearings!

farnhamstj
11-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Looks great. Definatly get someone to help you put it in. Unless you are extra strong.