PDA

View Full Version : Oh man, Now I'm really stuck

Nick F.
11-28-2006, 12:47 AM
I hope some one has seen this one before. Please bear with me because, this might be a little hard to follow. I noticed the recess for the rear bearing(the one behind the pto gear) in my 70'3sp transfer case was larger than the bearing provided in my rebuild kit(sor) The od of the bearing that came out of there is roughly 2.950 The one that came with the rebuild kit(koyo 6306) has an od of 2.835 leaving a gap in the housing of about .115?! I looked it up and the bearing they sent is supposed to be the correct one. It gets better. So then I measure the id of both bearings, old bearing 1.260, new 1.175? Now wait a minute, they have to fit on the same shaft....So I crawl under the truck and try both bearings on my tranny output shaft. The new one fits perfect..and the old one has a gap on the shaft of .085! Damn! The PO was driving around with nothing supporting the rear of tranny output shaft for how long?The old bearing is bluish purple where it got overheated, and has some chatter marks where it looks like the shaft was skipping across it. ughh.Now the previous owner gave me a sheet that said the t/c was "profesionally" rebuilt at tanner 4x4 a while ago.Don't know If they were the last ones in it. Best I can tell, someone threw whatever bearing they had in and hoped nothing would go wrong? So now my dillema is that I need a bearing with the od of my old bearing, and the id of the new one..... To further muddy the waters my truck is a 7/70 model which know is right at the transition, plus I do not really know if that is the orignal t/c. I got bounced around calling 4 different people at sor today and got exactlly nowhere..So I've been looking around online for a bearing of the size I need and wow, my head hurts. Is it possible I just need the bearing for a different year t/c? Or do I have a long painfull hunt ahead. I'm stuck.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NFerrando/DSCF1415.jpg

treerootCO
11-28-2006, 12:54 AM
My Orion came with a new bearing for the rear. Because I have mine bolted to an SM465, I don't need it. Sorry, no calipers so I can't measure it for you but it is a Koyo bearing and you are welcome to it. I'll be home Saturday (I think). Let me know if you want to try it.

If I had to guess 10 spline vs 16 spline T-cases (3speed/4speed)

60wag
11-28-2006, 05:34 AM
Hopefully you'll be able to find the right bearing but in case someone did something odd like turn down the shaft, you could add a sleeve to the shaft to make the dia correct for whatever bearing is available.

Uncle Ben
11-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Hopefully you'll be able to find the right bearing but in case someone did something odd like turn down the shaft, you could add a sleeve to the shaft to make the dia correct for whatever bearing is available.

You could also take the ID, OD and width measurements that you need and call the bearing houses. If that bearing size is available they will be able to get it rather quickly.

nakman
11-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Dude, that stinks.. but I think trying to find a bearing that fits is a better plan that creating a sleeve.. by the time you had it machined & hardened you're well into triple digits if you can't do all that yourself, plus getting it all pressed in there and lined up would be a challenge in itself.

However, if I can help with a drawing of the sleeve you need, lemme know.. ;) :rolleyes:

wesintl
11-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Swing over to whistler and see what they have or order one from Toyota.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1686&highlight=bearing+warehouse

Nick F.
11-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll give whistler a try this week. Mike I'll drop you a pm if I strike out at whistler . I have access to a full machine shop and turning a sleeve wouldn't be very hard, hardening it without warping it is another story. I think that would be my last resort though. Man I'm itchin to get back on the road..

60wag
11-29-2006, 04:28 AM
A sleeve wouldn't need to be hardened.

Nick F.
12-01-2006, 11:08 PM
So , I went down to whisler bearing yesterday to try and find bearing that would work for me. Their answer was that nobody made a bearing in the size I needed. They were very helpful though and would certainly go back if I needed bearings again. They told me I should have a sleeve made, so I figured I might as well do it. Luckily it was a slow day a work and I cranked this out. Took a little while because I started with a pretty thick piece. Nothing hard though. I got a nice tight press fit on the bearing and the housing. Looks like I'm back on track:thumb: Kinda looks like your drawing, huh Nakman?
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NFerrando/DSCF1434.jpg

treerootCO
12-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Nakman called and said he only likes the pink bearing spacers :p:

Nick F.
12-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Nakman called and said he only likes the pink bearing spacers :p:
I guess thats better than brown bearing spacers....