PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

MDH33
11-30-2006, 09:54 AM
I have both my '85 60 and '73 40 insured with full coverage and $500 deductable and it's $880 a year. Does this sound high?? I have a clean driving record and these vehicles are both older not driven daily so I would think full coverage would be less.

Curious what others are paying to insure their "old" cruisers and which companies are best here in CO.

Thanks!

wesintl
11-30-2006, 09:58 AM
That sounds pretty good for full coverage. You could always carry liability since you have 2 modes of transport.

nakman
11-30-2006, 10:23 AM
You can get your rates to drop quite a bit by raising your deductible to $1000.. just have to figure what extent of damage would you actually want to have insurance pay for to know if that's worth it. For me the full coverage is more about theft than body damage, and the only claim I'd probably ever make would be if something happened to the wife's car, the Cruisers just get more "character," mainly because I don't want my rates to go up with a claim. So since I'd never claim insurance for repairing a windsheild, or a minor trail dent, and would really only use it on a major claim, the $1000 deductible makes sense to me.. just have to keep that in savings just in case.

MDH33
11-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm going to call and ask about the deductible. I would probably only make a claim if either were totalled anyway.

:flop:

corsair23
11-30-2006, 11:37 AM
For full coverage that doesn't really seem to bad to me for a full year. There are a lot of insurance companies that won't even offer full coverage on an older vehicle like the FJ40 (USAA for one will not :( ).

You can go online and check rates pretty easily at most of the major companies and isn't it Progressive that will show you their rates plus the rates of their competitors? As a baseline I pay over 2x what you pay for 3 vehicles with full coverage on 2 of them (daily drivers) and only liability on the other (FJ40). I'm thinking I need to call around now :confused:

Who are you going through? I have USAA...

wesintl
11-30-2006, 11:49 AM
You can always check www.esurance.com They have pretty good rates.

RedRoo
11-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Did you ask what they value your vehicles at for a claim?

I recently bought an '86 FJ60 and had to go through the same insurance evaluation. Metropolitan will cover me up to the "book value" which they quoted as $1800. With a $500 deductible it was around $700 to carry full insurance. I also insure two other vehicles with them.

I still haven't determined if it is worthwhile carrying anything above liability. The difference in price between liability and comp would take me about 7 years to make up if I just set the savings aside as "self-insurance".

MDH33
11-30-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm using AIG. When I started the policy I made sure they covered the value of both vehicles which I stated was $10K total for both. When I had only the 60, I had liability only and it was just $80 a year less than what I'm paying now for full coverage, so I went with the full coverage on both when I got the 40. My only other frame of reference are my bikes which are less than $100 per year each, so the cruisers seemed steep.

lfd270ben
11-30-2006, 08:04 PM
I pay 150$ a month to insure my fj40 for theft only and my 06 nissan frontier full coverage.

Corbet
12-01-2006, 04:15 PM
I think the FJ60 runs me $150 for the year, liability only from USAA.

treerootCO
12-01-2006, 04:43 PM
My '78 is 186.50 every 6 months for liability only through Farmer's. The '66 FJ45LV is less though at 114 if I remember correctly. What I like about insurance is I tried to find a better rate and was told I am uninsurable! The only place I can get to insure me is the one I have had since I started driving. Turns out that if you have never been in an accident, the insurance companies make the assumption you will be soon.

knock on wood! Touch wood for the Aussies out there;)