PDA

View Full Version : need a battery. Which one? and where to buy?

nakman
09-29-2005, 09:33 AM
After reading many threads about batteries, I thought that I had my mind made up to get an Exide Orbital Extreme 34XCD (http://www.exide.com/products/automotive/exide_select_orbital_XCD.html). I could only find positive reviews about them, a decent write-up on Pirate, and a couple guys on Mud that I respect tech-wise run them, with no issues. I've been turned off by Optimas, mainly because it seems so many folks have issues with them. If you've counted, you'll know that the ratio of "Optimas are the best" posts to "Optimas suck" posts are about 2:1, and encroaching on 50-50.

So I tried to order the Exide from this place (http://www.autosupplyusa.com/joeztools/exor34exdeep.html), they took my order but never responded. Never charged my card, never shipped, and never returned my phone calls or emails. I guess they're not in business? I then called Exide's local distributer, who said go to any Checker or Wall Mart to buy them.. well, Checker doesn't have the model I want, and their cost is $160 for one that's not even as good.. WallMart has nothing.. so now I'm thinking by the time I special order & pay tax I could have bought an Optima Blue top (most the bad reviews are about yellows, the rest reds).

So last night I was ready to just to go AutoZone and buy the stupid Optima and be done with it.. but now they don't stock them!! They say they're not allowed to transport them because they don't have a Hazmat license. Geez.. so do I go to Costco on Saturday? or should I hold out for something better?

leiniesred
09-29-2005, 10:02 AM
both of my red tops lasted 2 years a piece. I think that sucks.

I went back to my grandpa's advice: "Get the biggest dam (sic) batt-rey (more sic) that fits in the rig. Get it from somplace ez to find in case it craps out." (He meant sears, but these days it is wal-mart).

That "batt-rey" has 4 years on it and is working fine. It is big, heavy and yellow. I don't remember what it is, but it wasn't very much dough compared to an optima or other "spiral tech" battery.

-LeiniesRed

wesintl
09-29-2005, 10:40 AM
I bought 2 yellow tops from autozone. Checker has the blue exide marine battery.

Excide is made by optima so I don't think reliability is going to be any greater

powderpig
09-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Most of the exide stuff is made out of the country in forgein factories. Where the optima is made here in denver. Go figure. Any how have you look at some of the dry cell batteries? I will look a little latter or see some of david Morse's stuff on IH8MUD in the 80's section (just remembered Stinger batteries), two will fit in the same spot as one orginal battery, but more money. The stinger design was orginally for helicopters. I do not like regular lead acid batteries for the corrison they cause (or may be I am lazy and do not want to clean the battery box every 6 months), but I have had less problems with them over their life span with failing and charging issues. later robbie

Uncle Ben
09-29-2005, 11:10 AM
I have/have had a total of 12 Optimas now. First two were actually Gates (which was Optima before they changed the name. Both red top Gates are still in use going strong (15 years old!) Two red top Op's went with my '95 1 ton Chev diesel that I traded in for my 2002 (also a snow plow truck....btw Op's kick ass for snowplows as they are not affected by cold temp voltage drops!) One red went with my '63 K-10. My first Yellow went with my '75 F-250 High Boy. 1 red is still going strong in Kippers 62. Wild Rice has 2 yellow blems. Ricecake has two Yellows. I gave my boulder property manager a yellow blem. Out of those 12 I had 1 red cause problems (it started not holding a load within a month after I got it) and it's full warranty replacement is still going strong. I will never buy a wet lead acid battery again! I also have learned that for heavy use/drain yellows are better than the reds when completely depleted as they take forever to get fully charged whereas the yellows don't seem to have that problem. (I was told by a guy at Optima the differance between reds and yellows is that yellows have current bars conecting the cells at the top and bottom but the reds ony have them on the top) You can get reds at Costco and I have bought the last two yellows at Autozone in Laf-a-lot.

Just my observations.... :rolleyes:

After reading many threads about batteries, I thought that I had my mind made up to get an Exide Orbital Extreme 34XCD (http://www.exide.com/products/automotive/exide_select_orbital_XCD.html). I could only find positive reviews about them, a decent write-up on Pirate, and a couple guys on Mud that I respect tech-wise run them, with no issues. I've been turned off by Optimas, mainly because it seems so many folks have issues with them. If you've counted, you'll know that the ratio of "Optimas are the best" posts to "Optimas suck" posts are about 2:1, and encroaching on 50-50.

So I tried to order the Exide from this place (http://www.autosupplyusa.com/joeztools/exor34exdeep.html), they took my order but never responded. Never charged my card, never shipped, and never returned my phone calls or emails. I guess they're not in business? I then called Exide's local distributer, who said go to any Checker or Wall Mart to buy them.. well, Checker doesn't have the model I want, and their cost is $160 for one that's not even as good.. WallMart has nothing.. so now I'm thinking by the time I special order & pay tax I could have bought an Optima Blue top (most the bad reviews are about yellows, the rest reds).

So last night I was ready to just to go AutoZone and buy the stupid Optima and be done with it.. but now they don't stock them!! They say they're not allowed to transport them because they don't have a Hazmat license. Geez.. so do I go to Costco on Saturday? or should I hold out for something better?

nakman
09-29-2005, 01:23 PM
I have bought the last two yellows at Autozone in Laf-a-lot.
Well not any more, apparently. Thanks for all the replies, all.. still haven't quite decided what way to go here so please keep the comments coming! :)

60wag
09-29-2005, 02:15 PM
I bought an Excide to replace my red top. It wasn't a great deal but since it was at Napa, it couldn't be more convenient. So far, so good.

CardinalFJ60
09-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Nakman, I asked around and got the same/similar stories on Optima. I then talked with Ron at Rocky Mtn Cruisers, and DJs Traction out in SLC who did my motor/tranny swap...they both put the high-end Napas in their own rigs. Ya'know, whatever sealed batteries they sell...

I'm with 60wag on this, Napa's are everywhere, and if something goes wrong, I can usually find one to take advantage of whatever kind of warranty/pro-rated thing they have going.

So far so good...over 2years now...

CardinalFJ60

nakman
10-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Well, pulled the trigger on an Exide today at Checker. 2 year free replacement warranty... start the clock. :cool:

calphi27
12-17-2008, 03:11 PM
bump for the winter time. Has anyone bought a blem or 2nd from Hensley Battery near invesco?

CardinalFJ60
12-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Nakman, I asked around and got the same/similar stories on Optima. I then talked with Ron at Rocky Mtn Cruisers, and DJs Traction out in SLC who did my motor/tranny swap...they both put the high-end Napas in their own rigs. Ya'know, whatever sealed batteries they sell...

I'm with 60wag on this, Napa's are everywhere, and if something goes wrong, I can usually find one to take advantage of whatever kind of warranty/pro-rated thing they have going.

So far so good...over 2years now...

CardinalFJ60

FWIW...Still the same battery...

Crash
12-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Haven't bought a blem or second but did buy my group 31 Deka from them. Great battery and service is good.

nakman
12-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Holy old thread! Hey my Orbitals are still going, so to speak. I killed one of them running my seat heaters all day more than a few times, it wouldn't hold a good charge anymore even removing it and trickle charging overnight. But Checker gave me a deal on the replacement, I think they prorate the cost over the 80 months or something, anyway it was about half price for a brand new one. So I've got one newish (6 months?) battery, and one 3 year old battery, both doing well.

I'm still happy with the decision and would recommend it- buy a super common battery from a chain store that comes with a warranty, so you can get a new one just about any time, any where. Not the place to be "exclusive," IMO. :beer:

edit: And in my first and only yellow top experience, Crash that battery I bought from you is still doing well. It spent a brief tenure in the plow truck, then moved over to to Subaru, then it went camping on the Ouray trip in the camper, then it rested inside the garage for a few months. When it started getting cold I brought it inside the house and stuck it in the closet. And wouldn't you know it, two weeks ago someone :rolleyes: left something on and ran the battery down in the Subaru, so I swapped in the yellow top and voila back in business. After trickle charging and testing the other battery it's back in there now, with the Optima back on the shelf ready for its next job.. one thing I learned last winter being an hour away and 10 colder than everyone else is having a nice warm backup battery inside the house can be a wonderful thing, glad I got one of the good ones! :cheers:

Shark Bait
12-18-2008, 08:37 AM
I out an Exide Orbital in my 40. Boy, seat heaters would be nice right now. :D

Romer
12-18-2008, 09:15 AM
I bought an Excide Orbital for Rachels 4runner and it died after 3 years. The 2nd battery in my truck is also an excide. I noticed when I ran my primary down while camping that the backup almost didn't start the truck.

On my list before Spring is a new battery

Crash
12-18-2008, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE= snip

edit: And in my first and only yellow top experience, Crash that battery I bought from you is still doing well. It spent a brief tenure in the plow truck, then moved over to to Subaru, then it went camping on the Ouray trip in the camper, then it rested inside the garage for a few months. When it started getting cold I brought it inside the house and stuck it in the closet. And wouldn't you know it, two weeks ago someone :rolleyes: left something on and ran the battery down in the Subaru, so I swapped in the yellow top and voila back in business. After trickle charging and testing the other battery it's back in there now, with the Optima back on the shelf ready for its next job.. one thing I learned last winter being an hour away and 10 colder than everyone else is having a nice warm backup battery inside the house can be a wonderful thing, glad I got one of the good ones! :cheers:[/QUOTE]

Glad to read this Nakman. Back up is always a good thing!

sleeoffroad
12-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Just a FYI, we stock the Optima reverse terminal for the 80 :D

nakman
12-18-2008, 12:15 PM
I bought an Excide Orbital for Rachels 4runner and it died after 3 years. The 2nd battery in my truck is also an excide. I noticed when I ran my primary down while camping that the backup almost didn't start the truck.

On my list before Spring is a new battery

That's about on par with my experience, Ken. Maybe the better question is, how long should one of these batteries last? Under normal use, being winching a few times a year, running it dead while camping a couple times a year, a few -0 starts, etc.

DaveInDenver
12-18-2008, 12:23 PM
That's about on par with my experience, Ken. Maybe the better question is, how long should one of these batteries last? Under normal use, being winching a few times a year, running it dead while camping a couple times a year, a few -0 starts, etc.
No winch, but otherwise similar mistreatment of batteries. I got 7 years from the last Red Top and my current Red Top is about 2 years now (with addition of fridge, that should punish it sufficiently).

LARGEONE
12-18-2008, 06:50 PM
The NEW Sears Die Hard Platinum is the same battery as the Odyssey. There is a thread on MUD showing both batteries and they are identical except for color. As mentioned above...I bought the biggest one they had and it just barely fits in the tray (with very slight trim of the corner). They also sell one the same size as stock (27, I believe). This thing has so much cranking power and with the deep cell, I hope it does well after being drained. It's only been in there for a month or so, so I can't speak to longevity, but owners of the Odyssey batteries who chimed in on MUD completely swear by them over the Optima. On sale at Sears, it was around $200. Not cheap, but not too bad for what it promises and the warranty is easy at Sears. I had a red-top prior, but it was having trouble in the cold. PO put it in only three years ago.

Toy4x4s
12-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Way up topic someone said that AutoZone doesn't carry Optimas in stock anymore? I work for AZ... I know in my store right now we have at least 3 red tops in stock. Now the Yellows sell as soon as we get one, and the Blue tops I have seen come in special order. Usually 1 or 2 days with no shipping charges to you.

Just some FYI here... Our Duralast batteries (the red top and yellow/gold top) were at one time #1 in Consumer Reports, above Interstate even. They are made my Johnson Controls, who I have heard is the same place that makes Interstate?

I had bought the Duralast Gold batteries way before I worked for AZ. They always withstood the CCCold and abuse from the winch. Never had one really lose a cell until the warranty was about up. The DL Golds can have some good cranking amps... I typically use the 34DT-DLG that has dual terminals and 1000 cranking amps, and 800 CCA. The only one we have that is more amps would be the 65DLG which has 1000 cranking, and 875 CCA. While I am at it... they have a 3 year free replacement, 8 year prorated warranty... valid at any of AutoZone's 4000+ stores.

Toy4x4s
12-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Oh, and my own personal testimony here... This just happened last Sunday morning, when the temp was -15ish up here. I had to start my old Ford truck to get to work. I cranked SOLID for about 2 minutes on my 8 year old Duralast black top (now they have red tops). I never ran the battery down, I just quit cranking... It wouldn't start. I plugged my block heater in about 6 hours and it fired right up still substantially below zero temps.

Hulk
12-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Just a FYI, we stock the Optima reverse terminal for the 80 :D

What is that? This?
http://sleeoffroad.com/technical/images/db4.jpg

Red_Chili
12-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Naw, flipped + and - sides.

FWIW, my Yellow Tops are still good after being run down flat a couple years ago from welding at Jenny Creek (the winch point) without recharging them. I recharged them over, say, about a week or so and they have come back up and stayed up. They are around 5 years old or more.

Good to know about the Sears batteries though. I am pretty much forced to use glass-mat batteries, as they are mounted on the side under the deck in the rear. The Duralast story too.

Romer
12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
The NEW Sears Die Hard Platinum is the same battery as the Odyssey. There is a thread on MUD showing both batteries and they are identical except for color. As mentioned above...I bought the biggest one they had and it just barely fits in the tray (with very slight trim of the corner). They also sell one the same size as stock (27, I believe). This thing has so much cranking power and with the deep cell, I hope it does well after being drained. It's only been in there for a month or so, so I can't speak to longevity, but owners of the Odyssey batteries who chimed in on MUD completely swear by them over the Optima. On sale at Sears, it was around $200. Not cheap, but not too bad for what it promises and the warranty is easy at Sears. I had a red-top prior, but it was having trouble in the cold. PO put it in only three years ago.

I saw those threads on Mud. That looks interesting. I also remember Kevin and Steve mentioning Deka batteries

Crash
12-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Deka manufactures all of its products in Pennsylvania and sells wet (lead-acid), AGM (absorbed glass mat) and gel batteries. http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/ Hensley is the regional distributor.

Romer
12-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Deka manufactures all of its products in Pennsylvania and sells wet (lead-acid), AGM (absorbed glass mat) and gel batteries. http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/ Hensley is the regional distributor.

Do you know how theey compare to the Sears Platinums mentioned above. I have read quite a bit about those and not so much on the Deka. Experianced with Orbitals and Optimas like most everyone else.

Uncle Ben
12-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Deca is the reason we can watch a full length movie without my engine running!
Projectors are power hogs too. Let's not forget the fridge running the whole time
and two blenders of fruit beverages!

Romer
12-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Deca is the reason we can watch a full length movie without my engine running!
Projectors are power hogs too. Let's not forget the fridge running the whole time
and two blenders of fruit beverages!

Nice. Thanks Kevin

Did you get the Gel Deka?

Uncle Ben
12-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Nice. Thanks Kevin

Did you get the Gel Deka?

My accessory batt is a Deka 31 and my primary is a Deka 78. Both are AGM's

Romer
12-19-2008, 08:03 PM
My accessory batt is a Deka 31 and my primary is a Deka 78. Both are AGM's

Thanks Kevin

Found a pretty good comparison on their site amongst different construction types
http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/1081.pdf

Romer
12-19-2008, 09:32 PM
I thought others would find this of interest

The Die Hard Platinum (Odyessy), Red Top Orbital and Deka are the top three batteries based on Consumer Reports and real offroad testing

The Orbital Exide is not known for long life, found that out myself on two of them

The Deka has the outstanding reserve capacity to run the Holy graille at night, per Kevins use and Consumer Reports testing:D

It would have been interesting if they had included the Yellow and Blue Top Optimas in their test.

From Consumer Reports
Our battery-life test is based on a standard recently adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers. Our test includes partially draining and then recharging each battery almost 3,000 times over a 10-week period, during which the battery must meet voltage and amperage limits based on real-life demands. The highest scorers maintained higher voltages and were able to withstand more cycles.
In addition to how we test car batteries for endurance, our reserve-capacity test measures how long an auto battery can supply power if the charging system fails or if you leave your headlights or accessories on. The lowest-scoring models in our test should provide 1 hours of power. Higher-scoring models can supply power well past 2 hours.
We also test for cold-cranking amps (CCA). That’s the measure of current that’s available at 0 F and is the primary indicator of cold-climate performance. CCA has long been a major selling point for batteries. But we believe that the industry’s claimed CCA doesn’t reflect real-world conditions because batteries are charged at a higher voltage than the 14.5 volts provided by most vehicles’ alternators. Our CCA test is based on more realistic charging voltages and amperage demands, and our results show each battery’s relative cranking power, regardless of the manufacturer’s claims.

LARGEONE
12-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Romer...thanks for posting this CR data. Makes me feel OK about my DieHard Platinum.:cheers: I will say that it is the HEAVIEST battery I have ever picked up!!! I'm about 6'3" and it took everything to get it up and seated in the battery tray!!!

Because of the way my Optima was installed by PO, I had to turn the battery facing backward. I still have a few things I need to do to clean up the install. I'd like to get some of the Military Style clamps and increase the gauge of the wires, but I will probably wait until I find a winch before I take the time to do this. Maybe when I re-wire, I'll turn the battery around facing forward?

Uncle Ben
12-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Romer...thanks for posting this CR data. Makes me feel OK about my DieHard Platinum.:cheers: I will say that it is the HEAVIEST battery I have ever picked up!!! I'm about 6'3" and it took everything to get it up and seated in the battery tray!!!

Because of the way my Optima was installed by PO, I had to turn the battery facing backward. I still have a few things I need to do to clean up the install. I'd like to get some of the Military Style clamps and increase the gauge of the wires, but I will probably wait until I find a winch before I take the time to do this. Maybe when I re-wire, I'll turn the battery around facing forward?

You are right there....these batteries are definately heavy! The group 31 Deka I have is 71#'s!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Royal biatch to get in and out of the battery box! :rant:

Red_Chili
12-21-2008, 08:36 AM
That would be a real pain to lift two of them to hang under the rear deck... :eek:

I'd need a hydraulic lift!! And more spring lift in the rear. :lmao:

So why didn't CR recommend the top three? :confused:
Oh yeah... they are CR. :rolleyes:

Hulk
12-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Their "best buy" recommendation is always very good quality for a great price, not the best quality at any price. But they always show you their rankings, so you can buy the top rated _____ if you so choose. That's almost never the bargain.

calphi27
01-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Went to Hensley Battery and picked up two 2nds for 75 bucks total. They also have pre made battery cables for those looking to be replaced. Service was good.

treerootCO
03-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I picked up the Deka 31 and a Deka 78 AGM. I was suprised just how small the 78 is and how big the 31 is! Both are installed minus the hold down for the 31.

wesintl
06-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I picked me up a 9A34.. AGM. we'll see how it goes.

nuclearlemon
06-04-2009, 05:21 PM
group 31!!!:eek: that's a big freakin' battery...class 8 tractor trailers run group 31s

Crash
06-04-2009, 05:47 PM
group 31!!!:eek: that's a big freakin' battery...class 8 tractor trailers run group 31s

A group 31 will fit into the FJ62 spot with minimal work and, for me, suffices in place of a dual battery set up.

jacdaw
12-01-2009, 05:18 PM
First lithium ion automotive starting battery, brought to you by Porsche. I wonder if the weight savings is worth the price tag? It is certainly gonna be easy to mount just about anywhere...:cool:

http://www.cartype.com/pages/4443/porsche_lightweight_battery

http://www.cartype.com/pics/7730/small/porsche_lightweight-battery.jpg

farnhamstj
12-01-2009, 09:11 PM
That thing is sweet. I'm amazed a car battery could be that small.

jacdaw
12-01-2009, 10:25 PM
I was thinking a bank of them in the space of a group 31 would be very cool. Wanna go halfsies Farnham?

LARGEONE
12-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I picked up the Deka 31 and a Deka 78 AGM. I was suprised just how small the 78 is and how big the 31 is! Both are installed minus the hold down for the 31.

Mike/others...did you ever figure out a way to hold down the 31? I'm still trying to figure out how to hold it down. I'm considering welding a bracket up that would bolt to the two top bolts of the radiator frame and would hold the battery down.

nakman
10-16-2010, 10:50 PM
I was searching batteries tonight, and ran across this battery reference site: http://www.jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

I'm considering the Super Start AGM from Checker's.. O'Riley's.
http://www.blackgto.com/jeep/AGM_battery.jpg

$139 and the same exact group 34 as the Deka AGM apparently. at least according to a couple Jeep forums I found. Still looking..

o2bin4lo
10-22-2010, 09:23 PM
The fall issue of Overland Journal has a battery test. Their choice is the
Sears Diehard Platinum P4.
Had one battery from Valence mod # U24-12RT at $2,230.00.
Porsche offers it as a factory option.

:cheers:

corsair23
11-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Bump to the top

Need a new battery in the LX. The Exide Orbital is finally giving up the ghost. Made it 4+ years so not bad IMO.

My BIL works at Sears and they have their "friends and family" sale coming up so I'll probably go with the Diehard Platinum. Hoping the Orbital makes it that long :eek:

For those that went that route, which one did you get and any fitment issues with the cables reaching etc?

I'm leaning toward the P3 with the front terminals (makes connecting up the winch handy and per my research these batteries like the Orbitals can in fact handle the load on the front terminals). I saw some folks mention the P4 but a search of the Sears site only lists the P1, P2, P3, P5, and P6 as available :confused:

Sears states the P5 is the proper battery for a '97 Land Cruiser fwiw.

TIA

Shark Bait
11-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Looks nice, Jeff. What's the difference between group 75 and group 35? I think my 80 is ready for a new one, too. Got home Wednesday night and the starter ran slow when I turned the key. :rolleyes:

wesintl
11-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Hensley has treated me right. I just got 2 2nds for the 70. $30 ea. The Deka agm I had in the 80 was slow starting and it was a year and 5 mos old. Something wasn't right I took it in to them and it tested fine but did not under load. Probably a bad cell, no questions asked they gave me a brand new replacement. those oddessey are nice though.

nakman
11-27-2010, 09:32 AM
FWIW I'm pretty happy with the O'Riley AGM Super Start so far.. that thing measures 12.7-12.8 after sitting for a few days, while all my other batteries would have dropped to the 12.2 range..

Shark Bait
11-27-2010, 12:22 PM
fwiw I'm Pretty Happy With The O'riley Agm Super Start So Far.. That Thing Measures 12.7-12.8 After Sitting For A Few Days, While All My Other Batteries Would Have Dropped To The 12.2 Range..

$$ ?

The Sears Platinum is $209.

nakman
11-27-2010, 05:01 PM
It was about $150 out the door.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Overland Journal just did a battery test last issue, Editor's choice and Value award went to the Sears Diehard Platinum P4, $190.00.

corsair23
11-28-2010, 03:08 AM
Looks nice, Jeff. What's the difference between group 75 and group 35? I think my 80 is ready for a new one, too. Got home Wednesday night and the starter ran slow when I turned the key. :rolleyes:

Chris - for you if you got the Diehard Platinum route then you'd probably want the group 35 battery (P-5). It has the reverse terminals (i.e. positive on the right as you are looking at it so when you install it the positive ends up on the left where your positive cables are - clear as mud? :hill:). I'm leaning toward the group 75 because it has the front side connections as well which I use for the winch connections. Question will be if my battery cables will reach the top posts :confused: - My Orbital battery has the top posts in the center of the battery and the cables barely reach those as it is...I'm curious what the P4 battery looks like that seems so popular.

Other than that the group 35 has a slight edge in the CCA and reserve capacity arena.

But for you, I'd probably go the route Nakman did...In fact I might as well depending on what the BIL can get me for pricing on the Diehard...

Overland Journal just did a battery test last issue, Editor's choice and Value award went to the Sears Diehard Platinum P4, $190.00.

I keep seeing the P4 mentioned as the battery of choice but either I am blind, or Sears is no longer carrying it :confused:

corsair23
11-28-2010, 03:16 AM
FWIW I'm pretty happy with the O'Riley AGM Super Start so far.. that thing measures 12.7-12.8 after sitting for a few days, while all my other batteries would have dropped to the 12.2 range..

Tim,

Any issues with your cables reaching the top posts? Thoughts on using the front connections for a winch? I know Optimas specifically state to NOT use the front connections for a winch and the leads can/will melt :eek:

In my research (I actually called even) on my Exide they said "No worries" about using the front connections. Internet research on the Diehard Platinum nets the same "no worries"...

The Super Start AGM is actually a little better spec wise than the Diehard Platinum P-3 I'm looking at and even with my BIL's discount, will probably be less to boot :thumb:

EDIT: Found a post (#10) here (link (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/oreilly-agm-battery-767230/)) that states the O'Riley battery is in fact a Deka Intimidator 34/78 (rebadged of course :))

nakman
11-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Yep it's a Deka Intimidator.. I was running all new cables so it didn't really matter to me where the terminals were.. it would be a stretch on the 80 though come to think about it to get that hunk of positive stuff pulled forward enough to hit the post.

corsair23
12-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Got a reply from Deka re: using the front terminal connections for a winch so I thought I would post up the answer in case anyone is wondering and for future reference:

Question: Are the front terminal connections of the Deka Intimidator 34/78 AGM / Super Start Extreme AGM battery rated to handle winch connection loads?

Answer: Yes, front terminals are rated to handle the typical electrical loads of a winch motor. Excessive winch use may require out of vehicle charging. Insure battery is properly mounted and secured

nakman
12-06-2010, 03:27 PM
I meant to post this... but on the Deka the front terminals and top terminals are literally connected by a metal L-bracket. IOW, it's literally the same connection... they just ran a bracket down in front from the top to create front terminals.

corsair23
12-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I meant to post this... but on the Deka the front terminals and top terminals are literally connected by a metal L-bracket. IOW, it's literally the same connection... they just ran a bracket down in front from the top to create front terminals.

Optima does the same but apparently they don't use near the same amount of metal for the connection thus using a winch on the front terminals of an Optima will likely result in melted brackets and a ruined battery :eek:

FWIW, so far Optima is the only battery that I have looked into that does not suggest/ok connecting the winch to the front terminals. Exide Orbital, Diehard Platinum, Deka / Sure Start all state no problem...

DenCo40
12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I have two dekas from Hensley. I have had this same set up on a couple of different rigs. I like the extra posts to add electrical stuff.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/denvertaco/2010-11-25114514.jpg

Corbet
01-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Did Overland include the Deka's in their battery test? I have let me subscription lapse and can't check for myself.

My Optima group 31 has been a little temperamental this week in the sub zero temps. I have a Hensley store in Durango. No Sears. So the Deka's are easier to deal with if warranty is required. Also most on MUD I've seen have trimmed the Sears DieHard group 31's at the corners to get them in. Not sure how that would affect a warranty claim.

wesintl
01-02-2011, 12:24 PM
IIRC they did the Deka 8A24M which is the marine version. It runs 50-60 more at something like $210 or $220. I don't know anyone or read about anyone that has that battery. Most I know or have read about have the intimidator 78/34 or heavier 31 as an accessory. I don't know why they did not test one of these.

I have the 9A34 as a main and could not be happier even when they replaced it under warranty.

Romer
01-02-2011, 01:16 PM
After trying the Deka Blems and having both turn out defective (what you risk with a Blem), I went with the sears platinums which are the same as the odysseys.

Nice thing about these is you can get them with posts on either side and no problem fitting the cables.

Hensley was great with the Blems. I returned them and got the Marine version of the Deka intemidators deep cycle and put them in my trailer dual setup.

Corbet
01-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Good to hear they are great about warranty problems. That IMO is the greatest draw to the Die Hard. But Sears is an hour away where Hensley is in Durango.

I probably can't go wrong either way and should just get one locally and be done with it.

coax
05-23-2011, 04:00 PM
This thread will not die! :D Time for me to replace the battery as well. Current napa one is leaking acid and they won't warranty it for me since I don't have a receipt (it came with the cruiser when I bought it).

Oriely/Checker doesn't seem to carry either a 27f or a 35 in the AGM superstart...only the group 34 which I think would be too big without modification, right?

I guess that leaves the diehard platinum in a group 35 for 200 bucks. Goo! But I'd rather have that then acid splashing all over the place I guess. Just wanted to post up incase anyone is aware of better options that have come along?

nakman
05-23-2011, 04:23 PM
That group 34 AGM should drop right in. Only issue may be with the terminals, I believe they're in the middle not at the back like the 80 seems to come with stock. So you may be extending some things worst case... nbd.

subzali
05-23-2011, 05:29 PM
EDIT: Nevermind, repost #3 or more in this thread. Don't wanna be THAT guy.

Corbet
05-23-2011, 07:15 PM
.only the group 34 which I think would be too big without modification, right?

many group 31's will drop right into an 80. 31 is much larger than a 34. I still have not replaced my Optima but the last time I measured the Delka 31 it looked like it would be too big for the OEM hold down but would fit the tray.

LARGEONE
05-23-2011, 11:15 PM
I installed the VERY LARGE die hard battery a while back. It does require very minor trimming of the lower back corner to fit, but WAY worth it. I'm almost disappointed that I took the time to install a second battery...that darn die hard never goes dead!!! I can winch with it, leave everything on in the truck all night and still start it the next day. It's crazy. Barry helped me make a custom bracket to hold it down and it doesn't budge....the thing is too big to move around it there:) But you definitely have to mount it with the posts in the back, or the posts might contact your hood.

coax
05-24-2011, 06:34 PM
I ended up picking up a group 35. In a bit of a time crunch for this upcoming weekend and didnt feel like having to lengthen wires and such. (They were already slightly shorter due to new o-ring ends to fit the military terminals).

I called one o'rieley and stopped at another; neither had any of the superstart agm's and when I asked none of the sales people knew what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

Lots of money spent but better than battery acid dripping into the tray. The fit of the battery isn't super nice; I may try and get some shims for the side and upper back, but its pretty solid as it sits so I may just leave it. This battery is fairly small physically but it has more cca's than the group 27 that I took out of there, and weights a fair bit less. I don't have a fridge or any accessories that stay on, and really intermittent use of the winch is all I have over the stock current draw, so I think this battery will suffice for a while.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_RHGIeuamB_E/Tdw_rsp72DI/AAAAAAAABGk/08PCGrzLMGk/s1024/DSCF3394.JPG

nakman
05-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Cool, I'm sure you'll be happy with that. Hey did all LX's come with a gold plated PS fluid reservoir? mine's black..

Hulk
08-23-2011, 12:52 AM
OK, so I need a new battery for my 80. There is some urgency to this, since if I get a battery, I may be able to drive my 80 to the Rally.

Here are my options as I see them:
DieHard Marine Battery, Platinum PM-1 - Group Size 31M (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850131000P?)
This thing looks huge and it's $$$. However, I like the fact that it can sit for long periods of time, since my 80 isn't my DD anymore. Also, with a winch, ARB fridge and a ham radio, this thing would be a good choice.
Mitigating factor: will my existing cables be able to reach the terminals?

Deka battery of some size.What size is good for an 80?

DieHard Automotive Battery, Platinum P-1 - Group Size 34 (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850034000P)
Looks like this one is an easier fit, with the terminal all the way in the back.

DieHard Automotive Battery, Platinum P-4 - Group Size 34/78DT (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850090000P?mv=rr) Supposedly the P - 4 got amazing reviews. I can't tell how it is different from the P - 1.

AGM battery from O'Reilly Not sure what size. Their website isn't very helpful.

coax
08-23-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm definintly not an expert on this, but the difference between the p1, p4, etc, are really just related to the group size. (p1=group34, p2=group65, p3=group75/86dt etc.)

From what I can tell both the p1 and p4 have the terminals on the "wrong" side of the battery. Not that it couldn't be fit in there, but might have some wire stretching to do.

One note on the group 35 (even though its not in your list), the fit of the "shape" of the battery isn't great. I had to put in a small spacer on the backside to get it to fit solid, due to the shape of the bottom "lip" of the battery.

As for the oriely agm, I'd agree with your assessment that the website isn't helpful, and add in that neither were the people on the phone. :lmao:

Sorry, not much help. :confused:

Hulk
08-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Hmmm, I thought Sears offered the option to have battery terminals on either side. Maybe I'll go over there at lunch.

wesintl
08-23-2011, 10:30 AM
man that's alot of coin for those diehards.

I have a Deka 9A34 from hensley and couldn't be happier. I thought they were about $130. Maybe they wen't up to $150 but still almost half of some of those diehards.

You will have to pull the terminals though the tray a little bit but otherwise it fits fine.

Hulk
08-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Do you have a contact at Hensley?

wesintl
08-23-2011, 11:23 AM
just the 2 guys at the counter. Jimbob and Joebob

corsair23
08-23-2011, 11:38 AM
OK, so I need a new battery for my 80. There is some urgency to this, since if I get a battery, I may be able to drive my 80 to the Rally.

:woot:

If you need a battery to borrow for a few weeks to give you time to make a decision let me know. I've got a couple sitting in the garage.

Is the P4 battery at Sears available again? When I was looking it appeared to have been discontinued. Nakman stated he has had good results from the O'Reilly battery but it would appear finding one might be a challenge.

DanS
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I've got a Diehard Platinum 31M in the 40. It'll be at the rally if you want to get your mitts on one to check it out, or I'll be running around town pretty much all week and can meet up.

The terminals are standard sizes, it's just the overall size (and weight) that sets it apart.

Dan

Hulk
08-23-2011, 04:59 PM
man that's alot of coin for those diehards.

I have a Deka 9A34 from hensley and couldn't be happier. I thought they were about $130. Maybe they wen't up to $150 but still almost half of some of those diehards.

You will have to pull the terminals though the tray a little bit but otherwise it fits fine.

Wes, do you have the Deka in your 80?

Deka 9A34 is $157.
Deka 9A31 is $199.

Just wondering if I should get the group 31 or group 34 size battery.

FYI: Hensley moved up by Sapp Bros. off of I-70 now. :(

Hensley Battery & Electrics
7203 E 47th Ave Dr,
Denver, CO 80216
(303) 455-3643

Their website still lists the wrong address.

Uncle Ben
08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Wes, do you have the Deka in your 80?

Deka 9A34 is $157.
Deka 9A31 is $199.

Just wondering if I should get the group 31 or group 34 size battery.

FYI: Hensley moved up by Sapp Bros. off of I-70 now. :(

Hensley Battery & Electrics
7203 E 47th Ave Dr,
Denver, CO 80216
(303) 455-3643

Their website still lists the wrong address.

Group 31's are not a direct drop in but with minimal work they will fit. Note: group 31 Deka is 70+#'s!

wesintl
08-23-2011, 05:34 PM
just get a 34. the 31 is a beast. I have the 34 as my only battery in the 80.

really , they moved that is not as convenient as it used to be.

Jacket
08-24-2011, 09:57 AM
I've got 34's in both the 80 and the 40 - I agree it's a good sized battery for the 80 without all the extra weight and size of a 31 (which might be overkill in some applications). IIRC - you need a bit of a "booster" with the group 34 to make it taller and fit better in the 80. I think I have a piece of 3/4" plywood under mine.

My 80 also has a 27F, which is the same size that comes OEM for the new Tacomas. There are not a lot of choices in this size, but if you can find something you like in this size, it's a nice, big battery that fits well in the 80.

rover67
08-24-2011, 10:21 AM
I got a group 27 from Hensley Battery for my 40. It was one of their marine AGM deep cycle ones.

Corbet
08-24-2011, 04:17 PM
I ended up replacing my Optima blue group 31 with a new Sears Platinum group 31. Its a shame that Optima moved production, that group 31 was near drop in. I made a new hold down for the Sears and forced it in without trimming the fins as some have done. Fit is tight but its in there. I also made a + cable extension. It was not required but in order to use the 2nd set of terminals for accessories it was.

Heckraiser
08-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Sears Diehard Platinum here. I can let the truck sit for weeks at a time and it still cranks hard. No issues running accessories at the campsite either. :)

Hulk
08-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I've got 34's in both the 80 and the 40 - I agree it's a good sized battery for the 80 without all the extra weight and size of a 31 (which might be overkill in some applications). IIRC - you need a bit of a "booster" with the group 34 to make it taller and fit better in the 80. I think I have a piece of 3/4" plywood under mine.

My 80 also has a 27F, which is the same size that comes OEM for the new Tacomas. There are not a lot of choices in this size, but if you can find something you like in this size, it's a nice, big battery that fits well in the 80.

Which one is bigger: 27F or 34? This numbering system is confusing as heck.

Uncle Ben
08-24-2011, 11:26 PM
http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html (http://www.propickupmag.com/2011-battery-comparison-chart/)

http://www.propickupmag.com/2011-battery-comparison-chart/

Jacket
08-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Which one is bigger: 27F or 34? This numbering system is confusing as heck.

I don't get the numbering system either. The group 27 is bigger; not quite as big as the group 31 battery and the fit in the 80 is pretty darn good. There aren't any batteries in this size in the DH Platinum/Odyssey line, or in the Optima offerings. Sounds like Marco might have found a good one from Hensley though.

wesintl
08-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't have any booster or anything under my 34 and it fits fine. You just have to pull the harness through the grommet a little further since the posts are not on that side.

They also warrantied my 34 when it dropped a cell, no questions asked.

Corbet
11-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Old thread but I figured I'd update it with my Sears Die Hard Platinum group 31 experience so far.

14 months in my truck and it died this week. I took it to Sears for warranty (36 month full replacement). They have a test they perform before a warranty is granted. Mine failed badly and I left with a new battery. I asked if they knew what went wrong but could not offer any insight.

Hulk
11-12-2012, 10:44 PM
My Deka 34 is still going strong. I have really worked it hard (running a fridge in hot weather for several days), and the Cruiser still started up immediately.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Old thread but I figured I'd update it with my Sears Die Hard Platinum group 31 experience so far.

14 months in my truck and it died this week. I took it to Sears for warranty (36 month full replacement). They have a test they perform before a warranty is granted. Mine failed badly and I left with a new battery. I asked if they knew what went wrong but could not offer any insight.

I love warranties like this... Sucks you had to deal with it but, great that it happened under warranty!

Telly
11-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Wierd timing on this...I just bought a Kirkland (Costco) battery for $90 bucks yesterday for my 78 FJ40. It has twice the CCA (850 vs 375) than my old battery. Sure spins the engine much faster!

Cheeseman
11-13-2012, 02:10 PM
I just put that battery in my 62 after Robbie rebuilt the engine and all. It lasts 3 days with the fridge on and not starting. Barely started after that. Good test. Better than I thought. So we'll see what happens. I got the biggest one they have so we'll see.

subzali
03-01-2013, 09:56 AM
So my battery is dead in the 40. Again. At least according to the tester at Autozone. It cranks fine but with my high voltage when rolling down the highway and my wonky ammeter operation I couldn't help but wonder if something was amiss.

So I don't need a new battery now, but I will soon. What's the latest favorite battery? I think Optimas are out of favor, what about Deka, Oddysey, Sears Diehard Platinum?

Anyone had any experience with Autozone Duralast Platinum? It's an AGM batt, 750 CCA, 3 year warranty. Thinking the group 78 with the side posts for the winch.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Platinum-Battery/1977-Toyota-Land-Cruiser/_/N-innxtZ8gcxb?itemIdentifier=319461_351701_11966_

Sears Diehard Platinum:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850090000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Batteries&sName=Car%20Batteriesmv=rr

nuclearlemon
03-01-2013, 10:13 AM
So my battery is dead in the 40. Again. At least according to the tester at Autozone. It cranks fine but with my high voltage when rolling down the highway and my wonky ammeter operation I couldn't help but wonder if something was amiss.

So I don't need a new battery now, but I will soon. What's the latest favorite battery? I think Optimas are out of favor, what about Deka, Oddysey, Sears Diehard Platinum?

Anyone had any experience with Autozone Duralast Platinum? It's an AGM batt, 750 CCA, 3 year warranty. Thinking the group 78 with the side posts for the winch.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Platinum-Battery/1977-Toyota-Land-Cruiser/_/N-innxtZ8gcxb?itemIdentifier=319461_351701_11966_

Sears Diehard Platinum:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850090000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Batteries&sName=Car%20Batteriesmv=rr

shouldn't use side posts for a winch. they aren't designed to handle that kind of load.

nakman
03-01-2013, 10:18 AM
I haven't been completely enamored with my Die Hard Platinum.. it works ok, but seems to have lost a lot of its initial capacity, even with additional charging from an AGM-specific charger. One of these days I'll get up to Sears so they can test it out, as it's covered under warranty. But I don't think I'd buy another one at this point, when/if I need a new 1st or 2nd battery I'll likely get something else.

DaveInDenver
03-01-2013, 10:40 AM
There is thread over on ExPo about Sears, a gent having all kinds of trouble getting them to warranty an AGM.

I just had to replace my Optima and I went with another Optima. It may not be the hip overlander style, I dunno. But it fits in the spot (which is a major concern, the Odyssey's terminals were /really/ close to my fender lip) and I figure since the last one was 8 years old even if this one only goes the 3 years of its warranty I'm money ahead overall.

subzali
03-01-2013, 10:50 AM
shouldn't use side posts for a winch. they aren't designed to handle that kind of load.

From reading earlier in this thread it sounded like that was only an Optima problem, but the rest of the manufacturers didn't limit winching loads to only the top terminals.

Jacket
03-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I've got a DH Platinum group 34 in my 40 and it's been fine for 4 years - fits nicely in the stock tray with some plywood "boosters." But I don't have a winch.

Corbet
03-01-2013, 05:20 PM
My group 31 die hard platinum only lasted 18 months. But sears did give me a new one. I was hard on it. This time around I'll be kinder. Plus I did get a AGM specific charger for times when I do kill it.

My 6 year old blue top optima 31 is officially dead so I'm in the market again too. Not sure what direction I'll go this time. Maybe a Deka.

rover67
03-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Same experience as dave here... One yellow top is now 11 years old and runs fine, a few years ago I added a blue top when I did dual batts. I dunno... They were both reasonably priced on amazon.com. I know their rep has gone downhill but I can tell you all I ever do is watch my blue top go from dead to charged a few times weekly as the fridge draws it down and I charge it via alternator or external charger. It would seem they all have their problems I guess. I'm sure that when I get back to DIA the yellow top will be dead now that I typed this

corsair23
03-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Check with Crase to see what he has for sale :) - Both batteries I bought from him have been great :hill:

That said, I was happy with the Orbital I had in the LX prior to dropping the Odyssey I picked up from Crase in there. But Romer didn't have that great of experience with his Orbital as I recall. I'm not a fan of Optima Red Tops...My 40 has eaten 3 of them although I will admit that I don't run it regularly but even disconnected the Optimas died.

Right now, if $$ is no object, I'd probably suggest an Odyssey. Athough the Deka blems I bought seemed to do fine as well. You could borrow one of those if you want although they only have the small posts on them :(

OilHammer
03-20-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm in the same boat. The blem Optima, now about 11 years old, has finally stopped being able to start the 45. Last year, I could jump it, drive it around, and still be able to restart after 30 mins. Not so this year, even with trickle charging it. Meh....it was a good run.
So, the 100 has a pretty new batt in it, but it's tiny. I was thinking I would move that to the 45, and get a new big one for the 100. But...I have a costco optima in the 40 that's 5 years old or more, been abused a lot, and still just fine. I had a blue optima, also from costco in the 80 that I ran for 3 yrs with zero issues. Right now, I'm wishing Costco still sold them. :(

Red_Chili
03-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Holy zombie threads Batman!
Well, the primary batt in the Chili is dead. Reads 6V. Guess I really should put a trickle charger on them...

Dangit, that means I only got ... lessee... ten years out of a yellow top Optima. Oh. Huh. :lmao:

Since the bracket is made to fit the batt, I think I will go with same for a replacement. The secondary batt is fine as frog's hair.

subzali
03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
So if you're going with Optimas, what's the latest opinion on red top vs. yellow top vs. blue top?

nuclearlemon
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Don't go red...last few years they've gotten a horrible reputationfor failure

DaveInDenver
03-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Internet wisdom says Optima is no good anymore. I dunno, I'll let you know in a couple of years. But they have a 3 year replacement warranty, so I risked it.

Johnson Controls is not a fly-by-night outfit and I would bet a lot of the problems occurred with the moving of production around. They're made in Mexico now and have been for a while, so maybe things are stabilized. It's not rocket surgery making batteries.

Odyssey offers a 3 or 4 year warranty depending on size and Sears has a reputation of being a PITA being with Diehard warranties.

Red_Chili
03-22-2013, 01:46 PM
I'll risk it. Internet wisdom sometimes perpetuates itself and is (ironically!) out of date and late for the party. Just too easy to repeat what you've read, rather than experienced first hand.

In my case the deep cycle yellow top just makes sense, and I run a pair.

DaveInDenver
03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
The eternal problem of marketing, every failure generates tens of times more negative word of mouth than a satisfied customer who never thinks twice about a product that just works and blends into the background of their life. How many Red and Yellow tops are out there and still continue to be sold that never fail? Tens of millions. Just one failure ends up on dozens of forums within days, though. Even a popular forum like ExPo or Mud see a handful of people with first hand experience, most people just parrot stuff second hand.

Jacket
04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Has anyone done research to determine where the Diehard Platinum marine and automotive batteries are truly different on the inside? I know that you get more posts with the marine flavor, and internet wisdom suggests that marine/deep cycle batteries have larger plates to handle discharging better than a standard starting battery. But it seems like if this was true and the marine construction was different, then the marine battery should weigh more (bigger plates = heavier right?) and possibly be larger than it's non-marine equivalent, and have better ratings? For the group 34, all the other specs are the same - CCA, Ah, Reserve capacity between the 34 and 34M.

I've got a nearly 5 year old Diehard Platinum 34M that seems to be slowly fading (it's my auxillary battery in the 80). It's steady state after charging seems to be around 11.8 - 12V rather than 12.6 - 12.8V. Right now Sears has the DHP group 34 in sale for $175 and comes with a 4 year replacement + 100 month prorated warranty. The 34M is still at $219 and only has a 3 year warranty.

So I'm trying to reconcile if it's worth it for me to buy another Marine battery, or just run the group 34 as the better overall value.

rover67
04-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I thought the deep cycle batteries had thicker plates in the same overall form factor which would equal less plates and less current but a more robust battery (more plate to degrade exists).

Weight would be close if there were less plates but they were thicker no?

Am I way off?

ScaldedDog
04-12-2013, 04:51 PM
For the group 34, all the other specs are the same - CCA, Ah, Reserve capacity between the 34 and 34M.

Right now Sears has the DHP group 34 in sale for $175 and comes with a 4 year replacement + 100 month prorated warranty. The 34M is still at $219 and only has a 3 year warranty.

Your research suggests the difference is the posts, the color and the margin. :D My bet is that you're right, but I don't know. FWIW, I run plain ol' Platinums in my 4Runner and tow rig, and they are plenty expensive.

Mark

ScaldedDog
04-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Internet wisdom says Optima is no good anymore.

I moved away from reds. I had a couple, and in a vehicle that sits a lot, they'd invariably go dead. That's OK, but what wasn't OK was that they were never the same again, or even close. I suspect, but don't know, they'd do fine in a vehicle that's driven a lot.

Sears has a reputation of being a PITA being with Diehard warranties.

The wasn't the case with my single instance of testing the return process. I was in and out in minutes, without the whole "let us test it and let you know tomorrow" business. YMMV, and so might mine, next time.

Mark

Corbet
04-13-2013, 09:34 AM
My Die Hard Platinum Marine group 31 got warrantied last fall. Pretty simple in and out, just had to wait for them to test it.

MDH33
04-13-2013, 09:54 AM
I just added my dual battery setup in the FJ60. I had a yellowtop from my old FJ60 that had been sitting on the bench for over a year. I charged it up overnight and it came right up and has stayed at 12 nicely for the past week. It's probably 5 years old. I had both this yellowtop and redtop in my old 60 and they performed fine.

There is a Diehard Platinum starting battery that came with the rig and it seems to drop below 12 after sitting for a few days. We'll see how they do once I actually start driving this thing. ;)

mikeyhcrana
04-14-2013, 09:09 AM
We used our winch for the first time 2 weeks ago on Yankee Hill. We made 3 good pulls. Now my 500CCA ProStart needs jumped every morning. I want an Odyssey. The stock size is group 25 for my 4runner so this is what I picked out.
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/6122/odysseyz.png
At work, we order through Walter's battery service, they quoted me a little under $250 & 3 days out for that specific battery. Should I stay with the group 25 or do a different size? I read this whole thread & there is no mention of group 25's. Also, if the Sear's battery is the same as this Odyssey, I'd prefer Sears, is this true?

Jacket
04-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Has anyone done research to determine where the Diehard Platinum marine and automotive batteries are truly different on the inside? I know that you get more posts with the marine flavor, and internet wisdom suggests that marine/deep cycle batteries have larger plates to handle discharging better than a standard starting battery. But it seems like if this was true and the marine construction was different, then the marine battery should weigh more (bigger plates = heavier right?) and possibly be larger than it's non-marine equivalent, and have better ratings? For the group 34, all the other specs are the same - CCA, Ah, Reserve capacity between the 34 and 34M.

I've got a nearly 5 year old Diehard Platinum 34M that seems to be slowly fading (it's my auxillary battery in the 80). It's steady state after charging seems to be around 11.8 - 12V rather than 12.6 - 12.8V. Right now Sears has the DHP group 34 in sale for $175 and comes with a 4 year replacement + 100 month prorated warranty. The 34M is still at $219 and only has a 3 year warranty.

So I'm trying to reconcile if it's worth it for me to buy another Marine battery, or just run the group 34 as the better overall value.

Well - the sale is over, so nothing done at this point. I ran some tests on the system yesterday trying to find a drain that might be stealing volts from the battery, but everything tested out fine with only a small amount of mA draw detected, even from the crappy inverter I'm running. But the battery was down to 11.6V, so I think it's time for a new one. The battery has 05/08 stamp on it, so I guess 5 years is Ok in our climate. $40/year....

LARGEONE
04-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Look at the Sears Die Hard PLATINUM pictures and then look at the Odyssey. They are obviously made in the same plant with different colors. Same battery.

Not sure on the 25? My guess is nearly the same as a 34? You'd have to look at the dimensions on-line and the CCAs.

OilHammer
04-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Ack! Why are Odyssey batteries THAT expensive??? Holy smokes. I thought Optimas were expensive at $150 plus, but $500 bones for a battery?

At that point, I would change to Lion.
http://www.jegs.com/p//Lithium-Pros-12-Volt-Lithium-Batteries/1770167/10002/-1

Less weight, better charging, little dangerous, but meh....
Probably only good for a second battery, but LOVE the weights on those. Wow....3 pounds!

mikeyhcrana
04-16-2013, 09:17 AM
The odyssey is $250. The Diehard Platinum is $220. The Odyssey has 880 cca, Diehard 850. Odyssey makes a group 25, diehard does not, I'd have to use a spacer to fit a 34. The group 25 weighs less too.

Also, I think $250 is fair for the performance I expect. The Optimas were supreme 12 years ago. They still cost the same as 12 years ago however. One way to hide inflation is to decrease quality. If their quality were the same as when they came out, I would expect them to be about $250 now too.

Red_Chili
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Unless production costs and materials savings make up the difference. Still wondering about CURRENT and ACTUAL experience reports on Optimas. Understandable they went through a teething period when production moved.

Just needing actual current experience data instead of dated and conjectured information.

The O'Reilly's up here reports zero warranty claims on yellowtop Optimas currently, and they are on sale through the end of the month. Other batteries do not fare as well.

corsair23
04-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Bill, my current Red Top in the 40 that I won at CM a few years ago seems to be doing ok...Granted, I've been keeping it on the charger now vs. just letting it sit after the bad luck I had with the 2 previous Red Tops...So, either quality has improved or how I treat them improved :) - or both :hill:

Keith
06-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Some experience to add to this thread:

3-4 months ago I* installed a dual battery system (Columbia Overland tray and National Luna kit) into my 05 V6 Tacoma. I put in 2 group 35 Autozone Duralast Gold Batteries. I had a good reason for using 2 starter batteries rather than 1 starter and 1 deep cycle... But for the life of me, I can't remember what that reason was. :rolleyes:

So, anyway, on Saturday I went to start the truck and found the starter battery to be 100% discharged. I put it on a trickle charger for the whole day and it still wouldn't hold a charge. Drove to Autozone this AM (the jump-start feature on the dual battery system works great!) and they tested the starter battery to find that it was, indeed, quite dead.

I find it rather disconcerting that this happened. The battery was practically brand new and had never been abused in anyway. It has never been below 12 volts in it's entire life as far as I know.

At any rate, I got the full refund on it... And applied it to an upgrade to an Optima Yellow Top. So, I now have my old auxillary battery (Duralast Gold) in the starting battery position and an Optima Yellow top in the aux battery position.

I'll update in a few months or years when I know how that system works out. Hopefully it was just a fluke bad battery. If the 2nd Duralast Gold fails, then I'll swear off them for life.

*I installed the dual battery system... With a lot of help from Marco.

nuclearlemon
06-25-2013, 07:11 PM
i have issues with my batteries (blue tops) lasting more than a couple days, ever since adding my national luna setup. i'm thinking that might be the issue as the batteries tested as good.

Romer
06-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Put a meter between the neg terminal and ground and see if there is a draw. A Bad ground or something always on or a short might cause that. You would see that if there is a current draw when it should be off

coax
06-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Just another data point. I've had one of my group 35 DHP's for about 2.5 years now. Still going strong. Recently installed the blue sea dual battery setup and got another DHP. I inadvertently deeply discharged the first one by leaving the door open for a few weeks a year or so back. It was quite dead at that point. (changed to LED's after that). The old one still holds about 12.65 volts or so. The new one about 12.75 or 12.8

So overall very happy with them considering the truck sits for sometimes weeks at a time and the bonehead discharge maneuver I pulled :D

Keith
06-26-2013, 10:59 AM
I don't think it's a problem w/ the National Luna system. The starter battery that failed had never been below 12 volts when I'd go to start it, and it regularly sits for a week or more. It was usually at about 12.7 when I'd get in the truck... Except for last Friday when it was completely discharged.

Jacket
08-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Die Hard Platinum's are 25% off right now for online/ship to store orders.

http://www.sears.com/automotive-batteries-car-batteries&DieHard_Sears/b-1100206?filter=Brand_storeOrigin&keywordSearch=false&previousSort=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER&viewItems=25

coax
08-21-2013, 08:17 AM
The post on mud also had this code in it. If it works...

SEARS5OFF50

Rezarf
01-02-2014, 10:17 AM
So my 12 year old Red Top Optima isn't coming back to life using the parallel battery charging trip. I left the radio on after doing some work and drained it really really good this time. I have had it charging for about 2 days and seeing if I can get it to revive once more, but I'm doubting it.

Am I a fool to buy another Optima? 12 years!!!!! they have earned at least a shot in my book. Probably going to run a yellow top this time, and perhaps install a dual system.

I know the Sears Die Hard Platnium is getting good reviews but is there any other deals out there right now?

MDH33
01-02-2014, 01:39 PM
So my 12 year old Red Top Optima isn't coming back to life using the parallel battery charging trip. I left the radio on after doing some work and drained it really really good this time. I have had it charging for about 2 days and seeing if I can get it to revive once more, but I'm doubting it.

Am I a fool to buy another Optima? 12 years!!!!! they have earned at least a shot in my book. Probably going to run a yellow top this time, and perhaps install a dual system.

I know the Sears Die Hard Platnium is getting good reviews but is there any other deals out there right now?

I know some folks have had issues with Optima, but I am still a fan. I've been running the same yellow top for 7 years. I had it in my old FJ60 along with a red top. Now it's in my new FJ60 and still going strong.

This would be a good setup for your 40 if you wanted to run a red top and a yellow top in a dual battery setup. I saw your post that you were looking for a tray:

http://stainlesstrays.com/?cat=1&view=143

Corbet
01-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Additional tray options: http://www.artecindustries.com/Battery-Mounts_c_134.html

Although its hard to beat those Stainless Trays if the configuration works for your needs. I had them in my 60 and wish he made an 80 series option.

I just got a set (27 & 31) of X2 Power batteries from Batteries Plus: http://www.batteriesplus.com/product_search/46443-X2-Power-Group-27-Marine-AGM-Battery-SLI27AGMDPM.aspx They make a group 27 which is nice if you want an OEM sized option for an 80. They are pretty much Odyssey clones like the Die Hard Platinum.

FJCDan
01-03-2014, 09:37 AM

I was debating that option when my Optima red top died after 3 1\2 years during the cold last month.Went out and bought their charger $200 bucks. tried to revive it did'nt work. 4 Wheel parts would only pro rate it. another $116.00 hopefully this one will last a lot longer. I am actually running the original panasonic battery in that came in the truck. It had been sitting in the garage for 3 1\2 years, put it on charger and has been fine since then.

Rezarf
01-03-2014, 09:54 AM
I was debating that option when my Optima red top died after 3 1\2 years during the cold last month.Went out and bought their charger $200 bucks. tried to revive it did'nt work. 4 Wheel parts would only pro rate it. another $116.00 hopefully this one will last a lot longer. I am actually running the original panasonic battery in that came in the truck. It had been sitting in the garage for 3 1\2 years, put it on charger and has been fine since then.

I learned a trick from Uncle Ben that you should hook your red top up to another know good battery and charge them together. This has brought mine back from the dead twice when a regular charge did nothing.

Corbet
01-03-2014, 02:49 PM
You should be using a smart charger for any AGM battery. The old fashioned chargers will cook an AGM. I know, I have done it.

I went this direction as a fairly in-expensive option: http://batteryminders.com/details.php?prod=12248

Works for Flooded/GEL/AGM with multiple amperage options as well as trickle charge. I've been happy with it so far. There was a pretty good write up on it in 4x4 Toyota owner a while back that influenced my buying decision.

But I'm done with Optima personally. Just based on location of assembly. I try to buy USA products when ever possible, well except for my actual truck;). For the record my US made Optima was a great battery.

FJCDan
01-03-2014, 05:17 PM
I purchased the optima 1200 smart battery charger left it on for 2 days. was dead again 2 days later. $316.00 later I have new charger, and battery with 3 year replacement waranty.
So we will see what happens.

Rezarf
01-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Bought another Red Top... let the game begin.