PDA

View Full Version : F250 shock tower install

nakman
12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey, when you guys put these puppies on, how did you line them up with the shock mount on the axle? Mount a shock, let the axle droop, then mark the holes? From eyeballing it, it looks like it needs to go pretty far back, like I may even need to move the ground cable on the passenger side (I didn't flip the springs). But maybe not, checking it out tonight with the tire still on..

And can I just drill & tap a couple threaded holes in the frame, or should I try to get my fingers back there and put nuts on? I know TJ welded his.. but I would like to stick with bolts just in case I need to move them some day, seems to work for Ige & Treeroot and they wheel harder than I do. I'll put pictures of your installs below so y'all don't have to search. what's the best/cleanest way to cut the fenders? :o all comments welcome :beer:

Shark Bait
12-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Tim,

I think I just eyeballed mine. I mostly worried about clearing my FJ60 power steering mount. I'm not sure threading the holes in the frame gves you enough purchase to hold the bolts in. I put nuts on mine, which was not too bad. I actually used duct tape and a closed end wrench and pushed the bolts through from inside the frame, through the shock tower and I put the nuts on the outside. I cut the fenders with a cutting wheel which seems kid of crude, but it turned out pretty well. I'm away from home and probably won't have a chance to post a pic until after the 20th.

HTH :p:

nakman
12-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Just what I need to hear, thanks! :beer2:

Hulk
12-12-2006, 12:02 AM
What's the story, Nakman? I thought you wuz lowering the 40 a bit. Different plan?

isotel
12-12-2006, 12:33 AM
i cant find a photo, but with mine, i did a SR, and fliped the springs, the towers ended up close pretty much in the center of the factory hole in the fender..

I kindof just eyeballed a line that the center of the axle travel in and tried to match the angle of it as close as i could.

treerootCO
12-12-2006, 12:54 AM
I used a plumb bob. You are going to wish you had a cutting torch when you try to grind those rivets off.

IanB
12-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Definitely need to use nuts, the frame is not thick enough to just tap.

treerootCO
12-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Nakman, don't cut your inner fenders. If you cut the Ford towers and reweld them straight, you can punch the shocks through the old hole without cutting anything. Much cleaner.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=21151&highlight=ford+shock+tower

Rezarf
12-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Nakman-

Those look good man, They should give you the distance you need for sure.

Drew

wesintl
12-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Nakman, don't cut your inner fenders. If you cut the Ford towers and reweld them straight, you can punch the shocks through the old hole without cutting anything. Much cleaner.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=21151&highlight=ford+shock+tower

What's the point of cutting them down? I thought the idea is that the longer tower allows for a shock with more travel?:confused:

nakman
12-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Mike, I saw that thread but I don't have the means to cut or weld these things.. however if you'd like to help me out name your flavor :beer:! I'd be stoked, but you guys all have your own stuff to work on, so I'm trying to save up my favors for when I really need it.. ;) But I would prefer to get them on w/o cutting, and I agree straightening them up is better than hacking the fenders plus it gives a little more "up" travel too. I'm sure the welds will be every bit as strong as the bolts holding them to the frame.

And I already got the old towers off, yes those rivets sucked big time but I got them off with a grinder, punch, BFH, then finally a BFPiece of Steel that Ian had, which ultimately busted them free. my hands are still sore.

Matt, yes the 40 is lower but it has the potential for a lot more upward travel, plus I couldn't even find shocks that fit the current towers w/o lowering the bump stops, in my other thread about shocks I show the numbers.. so when all is said & done in this new config I should have at least 3" up & 4" down.. possibly more, once I get these new towers on I'll take it back to the ramp behind Autozone in laffyette & do some more measurements, then decide what shocks to get.

nakman
12-12-2006, 11:20 AM
What's the point of cutting them down? I thought the idea is that the longer tower allows for a shock with more travel?:confused:

Wes, the towers have a pretty good bend to them, the one in the pic above has already been straightened. So when you straighten out the bend you clear the inner fender, and actually get a little more travel. I'll post a pic up of the tower tonight that shows how they're bent.

wesintl
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
ah. I'm reading and not comprehending.:homer:See what little sleep does to you. ;)
I didn't realize you cut them to reweld them straight. I thought you were just cutting them down which defeats the purpose.

I installed them many moons ago on my spring over in va.

IanB
12-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Mike, I saw that thread but I don't have the means to cut or weld these things..

I do ;)

nakman
12-12-2006, 11:34 AM
I do ;)

Ian if you're into it then I'm all for it man, let me know when to bring them by, and what kind of :beer: to bring with.

IanB
12-12-2006, 12:28 PM
I'll be around Friday evening.

Uncle Ben
12-12-2006, 04:11 PM
I do ;)

I do too...

SROR/AKA 2BAD
12-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Ian if you're into it then I'm all for it man, let me know when to bring them by, and what kind of :beer: to bring with.

Sam Adams......duh!:thumb:

wesintl
12-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Sam Adams......duh!:thumb:

man, you're movin up :eek:

last time it was bud light... next it'll be some 5 barrell or deep cover :bowdown:

IanB
12-12-2006, 06:59 PM
man, you're movin up :eek:

last time it was bud light... next it'll be some 5 barrell or deep cover :bowdown:

Anyone who shows up at my house with Bud Light (or any canoe beer) is likely to get shot :mad: ;) :lmao:

A good IPA, Porter, Hefe Weizen or ESB always works :bowdown: :beer:

Rezarf
12-12-2006, 10:15 PM
The man welded me an entire tire carrier for a small investment in Cherry Wheat from Sam Adams.

Thanks again Ian!

Drew

treerootCO
12-12-2006, 11:51 PM

They don't get cut down, just straightened.

Shark Bait
12-13-2006, 12:12 AM
I didn't mind cutting my fenders. I haven't even dealt with shocks yet. My BDS springs are so stiff I'm not sure how I'm going to measure properly anyway. :o

Red_Chili
12-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Rancho 99012s. Durn long. You can get a bunch more travel than what you're talking 'bout Nakster.

Billies can be had in similar length IIRC. Nicer ride. I run Ranchos though, freely available and usually in stock. The 99012s are, in fact, also spec'd for an F250 if memory serves.

Minitruck guys just weld those same towers to the frame and be done with it. Less work.

nakman
12-14-2006, 11:54 AM
I'd like to stay with the Billsteins for some reason.. maybe I just don't hear anyone gripe about them and I do hear the complaints about Rancho.. though not necessarily the 99012. I tend to glaze over the numbers though after I see Rancho.. plus I've got this connotation in my head that Billstein=cool, Toyota, knowledgeable owner, etc. and Rancho = not so cool, J**P, probably shops at 4WP, puts spare on roof, etc. I'm sure that's not entirely accurate though.

In any case, I can't be worse off with more upward shock travel, so on with the new towers!

treerootCO
12-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Bilsteins are insane. I put them on my 40 and 99% of my body roll went away. Much safer to drive on the roads now and I never expected a shock to help with that. I went with the 255 valving and it is perfect for a 40. I have run ranchos in the past and was not impressed. Not sure what model though.

Rzeppa
12-14-2006, 07:05 PM
My vote goes to OMEs. Not as many combos as 90xx but dang good shocks. Needless to say, WAY better ride than any of the 5000s I've run on various cruisers.

nakman
12-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Look how pretty...

Red_Chili
12-28-2006, 08:44 AM
.. plus I've got this connotation in my head that Billstein=cool, Toyota, knowledgeable owner, etc. and Rancho = not so cool, J**P, probably shops at 4WP, puts spare on roof, etc. I'm sure that's not entirely accurate though.

HEY!!!!! I resemble that remark!!!!!:rant:

:hill:

The thing is, a Rancho is not a Rancho. 5000s absolutely suck. The 99000x 9-way adjustable series do not. Billies are good though; can't gainsay that. You will not find OMEs in the lengths you now need.

IanB
12-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Look how pretty...

Do they fit?

nakman
12-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Going to have to wait until the weekend.. I need both trucks to operate when it's snowy like this. (:Princess: gets the 80). I'm sure they will though, I was thinking I could always put a washer behind it through the lower bolt if it needed to get shimmed back a c-hair or so... but I doubt that's going to be necessary. If you look at Manny's thread his aren't perfectly straight, and it looks like he's got lots of clearance.. http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=21151

nakman
01-02-2007, 07:51 PM
quick update.. thanks again Ian for the awesome welding job. :beer2:

So I ended up making a shock out of a scrap 2x4, which served to align the tower as well as insure my heights were consistent one side to the other. There appears to be ample clearance surrounding the tower and around where the shock will go. Next I need to find some time in the daylight to hit the ramp by Autozone, then I can measure my compressed and extended lengths one last time before ordering, but it appears that I've added almost exactly 3" to everything.

Rzeppa
01-02-2007, 08:31 PM
So I ended up making a shock out of a scrap 2x4WOW! That's dang impressive! And all along I thought it would take rod and o-rings and oil and all this other stuff. Are we getting ripped off buying shocks instead of making them out of scrap steel? ;-)

Shark Bait
01-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Tim, that's brilliant! I wish I'd thought of the shock template just to line my tower up. :bowdown: :cheers:

Red_Chili
01-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Hey Tim, will two bolts really hold that puppy? The reason I ask, is, in the minitruck world some guys have peeled the welded-on shock towers off just from repeated 4x4 trips. I put two bracing wings on the back of mine, welded it to the frame, and have had no issues.

nakman
01-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Hey Tim, will two bolts really hold that puppy? The reason I ask, is, in the minitruck world some guys have peeled the welded-on shock towers off just from repeated 4x4 trips. I put two bracing wings on the back of mine, welded it to the frame, and have had no issues.

I guess time will tell... I'm not that worried about it since if it were to fail I'd be going like 1 MPH, and I just wouldn't have a shock for the rest of the day. I haven't had shocks for almost a month now and it hasn't really slowed me down much. Plus the main reason I'm taking my time and going through all of these measurement pains is to be 100% sure my shocks aren't used as bump stops or limiters.. so the only load on the towers will be from the shocks themselves.

Also this 40 is not likely to get built up as big or wheeled as hard as either Ige's or Mike's, and both of theirs are just bolted on so I figure there's two data points in favor of not worrying about it. Can always weld in the future I guess if the situation presents itself.. :thumb:

nakman
02-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Here's a new chapter is this long saga... to start, I'm a bonehead- the shocks that I had, that I sold to Max's dad? yeah they're now the perfect size for what I need on the front. I went over to the ramp in Lafayette yesterday and at full compresison with the bump stops hitting my new "collapsed" length is 16". The BE5-6248-H5 travels from 15.91"-25.93".. perfect for what I need at stock height, and will still work when I lift 2" in the future.

Anyone have a good used set of these sitting around they'd like to sell? Who (in the club?) can I order these from if I need to buy new.. :homer: :doh:

nakman
02-17-2007, 11:18 PM
finally! :snail: :blah:

Rzeppa
02-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Nice install!

Even nicer tyres! :-)

Rezarf
02-18-2007, 05:34 PM
This is a good write up Nakman! Thanks man.

Drew

IanB
02-18-2007, 05:45 PM
So the angle on the shock towers works well?

nakman
02-18-2007, 07:36 PM
So the angle on the shock towers works well?

Perfect. Had to attach the coolant overflow up a little higher than it was before, other than that all good. :thumb:

subzali
04-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Tim, did you have to make new holes to mount them to the frame?

nakman
04-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Tim, did you have to make new holes to mount them to the frame?

yes, almost postive I did drill new holes. Mike's will be in Moab next week, you can take a gander at his I reckon..

ElliottB
04-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I spy some seriously booger-ific welds on that first post.

Uncle Ben
04-23-2009, 05:23 PM
I reused my F-250 shock towers on my project.....except now they harness the rear shocks! ;)

subzali
04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
is bolting them going to be strong enough in the long run for 31 or 33 inch tires?

ElliottB
04-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I would say yes. You should probably think about running limiting straps and appropriate bumpstops.

treerootCO
04-24-2009, 09:19 PM
is bolting them going to be strong enough in the long run for 31 or 33 inch tires?

Mine are bolted and have been that way for years, running 37s.

Rock Dog
04-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Like Mr Chilie, my F250 towers are welded to the frame, but have worked great for years!!

Uncle Ben
04-25-2009, 01:58 AM

Seriously, I would bolt them and a couple security stitch welds will give piece of mind and still be easy to remove if things change later I ran them hiked way up on the frame to control front 12" shocks on the previous setup with 36 and 37" (true sized bias) tires. (They were a little short for the 16" SAW's ;))

subzali
05-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Okay, so does anyone know that year application for these shock towers? I don't suppose I could just call up the dealership and ask for F-250 shock towers...

wesintl
05-07-2009, 01:56 PM
part number is E5TZ-18183-A

Uncle Ben
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
part number is E5TZ-18183-A

Copied that part number and pasted into Google. First result on the page looks pretty darn cheap!
http://www.partsmike.com/store/store.php?crn=221&rn=1103&action=show_detail

wesintl
05-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Matt, if you need a set right away stop by and you can pay em back later.