PDA

View Full Version : Official 2007 Snow and Pizza Run

JadeRunner
12-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Meeting Place: Cemetery area half mile above (west) of Central City-the normal spot. Pizza at Beau Jo's Pizza after the run.

Date: Sunday Jan. 7th, 2007
Time: Meet at 9am or so and leave by 10:00am sharp
Cb Channel 4
Wil will air down and chain up (if your using chains) at the meeting place.

Be prepared to be trudging through lots and lots of snow, especially when you exit your stuck rig to hook up a strap. Gater's, snow suits, gortex or whatever - just be prepared to stay warm. It can be really cold and windy. Make sure you have at least one strap and tow points available front and rear. See the top of page 3 in this thread for difficulty updates.
We will meet at Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs for Pizza after the run. Around 4-5 pm. The club will buy pizza and pop.

MDH33
12-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Hopefully I'll have my suspension back together by the 7th! :thumb:

Rezarf
12-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Meeting Place: Cemetery area half mile above (west) of Central City-the normal spot. Pizza at Beau Jo's Pizza after the run.

Can you elaborate on this for a few of us newbies?

thanks-

Drew

JadeRunner
12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
From downtown Central City, you can go 3 directions.
- East down to Blackhawk
- South up the new Highway to I-70. This is the route most people use to arrive.
- West - Up the hill on a one way street, out of town. Go about a half mile up the hill, the road will turn into a dirt road and fork. Look left at the fork and you will see a large parking lot where we meet.

Chris
12-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Stock vehicles and newbie's welcome. There will be plenty of friendly people around to help you if you get stuck.

Okay, in that case I'm in

:D

Convert
12-12-2006, 09:16 PM
The :Princess: and I should be there:thumb:

subzali
12-12-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm there, hopefully Kelsey will be too. CJ7 Matt sounds like he's in too :thumb: If people want, I'm willing to meet somewhere in Golden and go up Clear Creek Canyon, that's the way I'm going anyway. Maybe Christo's?

MDH33
12-13-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm there, hopefully Kelsey will be too. CJ7 Matt sounds like he's in too :thumb: If people want, I'm willing to meet somewhere in Golden and go up Clear Creek Canyon, that's the way I'm going anyway. Maybe Christo's?

If I'm up and running, I'll meet you guys in Golden. :hill:

Rezarf
12-13-2006, 01:31 PM

Matt, I will caravan with you bro.

Rezarf <><

11thcavdrt
12-15-2006, 12:11 AM

Hi Matt Miller:

doug tebbe here,tacoma 96, as i told most a few weeks back i was going to have the club for ahwile due to martial problems,dont we all at times and
moved back to Illinois for for awhile,so ive missed alot recently. things have
changed,and ive moved back to to colorado this past week and will be
starting to get active in the club again. this first run of the yr sounds like
fun. so I guess u can count us in. iam not sure where christo's is in golden,
can u give me simple directions to his shop so we could met up there? it
would be appreciated!, thxs.!!!:thumb:

subzali
12-16-2006, 08:51 PM
On their website, sleeoffroad.com, they have their address listed with a link to a map. Basically it's on the west side of Hwy 93 as you're headed north out of Golden towards Boulder. You pass the turnoff (stoplight) that goes to Golden Gate Canyon State Park, and I believe it's the next left (no light). I'll probably be there at 8 and will leave no later than 8:30. CB 4.

farnhamstj
12-24-2006, 04:00 PM
We're headed down from Vail. See you all there. No work to get to after so I'll be able to stick around for pie this year. I hope I don't get stuck. If I do I'll have to get my strap on. hee.hee

treerootCO
12-24-2006, 07:06 PM
whoops :o I'll get her patched up for the snow run, just working the bugs out. :D

Hants
12-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Unfortunately, We'll be out of town the weekend of the 7th. :(

I think I heard there was going to be a pre-run of some sort this coming weekend -- how can I get the details?

Hulk
12-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Got a new 3" x 29' ARB strap rated at 24,000 lbs. for Christmas -- I'm ready for the snow run! :D

Romer
12-26-2006, 05:30 PM
There area a few of us going on the pre-tun. Treeroot is leading. Mike, can you post the details?

treerootCO
12-28-2006, 11:05 PM
The pre run is January 1st. UB and I are going to go play. UB will be leading because someone has to pull him out :D. Planning on meeting at 9:30am at the cemetery above Central City. (the time might change depending on the night before;) )

I have a few friends that would like to ride along with someone if they have open seats. I only have the 2 seater.

Nick F.
01-01-2007, 09:07 PM
You run out there Mike? How was it?

JadeRunner
01-02-2007, 09:24 AM
You run out there Mike? How was it?
Check the trip report section.

It looks like we are going to have our hands full on this run.

farnhamstj
01-02-2007, 12:23 PM
holly crap that's a lot of snow. I think I should just park it and bring my cross country skis.

JadeRunner
01-02-2007, 04:41 PM
I talked to Kevin about this run since he was just there. We will stick to the planned run at Yankee Hill. But, based on the snow conditions it will fall into the "difficult" category. Kevin mentioned that the rigs on 35's were having a tough time, so 33's or greater are recommended to address clearance concerns in the ruts.

We will want to break up into smaller groups with a "more equipped" rig leading and breaking trail, since backing up and turning around will be likely. There are several spur roads and options that people could take near the Cemetery meeting place. Groups could try a road for a ways then re-group at the meeting place and try another road etc. This will not be like the snow runs we have had up here in the past, yet we shouldn't have to go far to get challenged and have fun. Kevin mentioned that they played and got stuck quite a bit just in the meeting place parking area.

treerootCO
01-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm in! Never can get enough snow :)

MDH33
01-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Anyone have a spare seat? :D

Beater
01-03-2007, 07:41 AM
This will not be like the snow runs we have had up here in the past, yet we shouldn't have to go far to get challenged and have fun. Kevin mentioned that they played and got stuck quite a bit just in the meeting place parking area.

I'm with you on the caution and difficult rating. I tend to bite off more than I can chew at times, and personally, knowing kevin, if he was in wild rice, with chains, and it was fun/challenging and he got stuck screwing around, that means I will need to pay a lot of attention to get through. This from a guy that LOVES driving in snow.

I personally think we may need to leave some ego's at the parking lot and buddy up with riders/drivers, then when we get to the "y", divide into teams, break out the shovels, build snow forts, and have a snowball fight.

subzali
01-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Well I'll be bringing my truck up to the cemetary, but looks like I'll need a ride as well. I'd like to think that 31s, Lockright and chains could follow once trail's broken, but :(

edit: I thought about it some more, and I think I'll bring this truck. ;) It'll be a repeat of Uncle Ben's dad-using-the-2wd-truck-to-pull-the-Ford-pickup-and-the-Blazer-out-of-the-ditch-story :D

Uncle Ben
01-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm with you on the caution and difficult rating. I tend to bite off more than I can chew at times, and personally, knowing kevin, if he was in wild rice, with chains, and it was fun/challenging and he got stuck screwing around, that means I will need to pay a lot of attention to get through. This from a guy that LOVES driving in snow.

I personally think we may need to leave some ego's at the parking lot and buddy up with riders/drivers, then when we get to the "y", divide into teams, break out the shovels, build snow forts, and have a snowball fight.

Actually I was only "stuck" once. I had pulled off the side of the road to let :bowdown: :robbie: Lead/break trail and Treeroot put the "soap on a rope" and pulled me back onto the road before I tore up the fauna on the side of the road. Kick butt time fer sure! :thumb:

Beater
01-03-2007, 02:07 PM
please don't ever bring up any more scenarios involving treeroot, you and soap.

Uncle Ben
01-03-2007, 05:53 PM
please don't ever bring up any more scenarios involving treeroot, you and soap.

There's a reason he's not called "Grassroot!" :lmao: :lmao: :hill:

Lysmachia
01-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi all, I am new to RS but have seen some of you on the trails. My name is Molly and I have a green (well mostly green) 93 SA 4Runner.

At any rate I was with Ric last weekend on the snow-run where we attempted Yankee Hill. Here is the video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPRSNLmIfx4

Look forward to maybe meeting some of you soon, perhapse this weekend!

corsair23
01-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Molly...That is a GREAT vid! Thanks for sharing

treerootCO
01-04-2007, 01:33 AM
youtube is blocked at work :(

wesintl
01-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi all, I am new to RS but have seen some of you on the trails. My name is Molly and I have a green (well mostly green) 93 SA 4Runner.

At any rate I was with Ric last weekend on the snow-run where we attempted Yankee Hill. Here is the video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPRSNLmIfx4

Look forward to maybe meeting some of you soon, perhapse this weekend!

Nice Video, Thanks for registering and posting the link. :thumb:

60wag
01-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Hmmm.... more snow. I'm bringing skis. Maybe I can find a better use for a tow strap behind someone with some big tires :)

SROR/AKA 2BAD
01-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Hmmm.... more snow. I'm bringing skis. Maybe I can find a better use for a tow strap behind someone with some big tires :)

great idea, i'm bringing my kids sled to pull him around. maybe i'll bring my snowboard :thumb:

whats the head count for this event?

JadeRunner
01-05-2007, 05:42 PM
great idea, i'm bringing my kids sled to pull him around. maybe i'll bring my snowboard :thumb:

whats the head count for this event?

Not sure on the headcount. We usually have a good turn out. I predict about only 15 rigs hitting the trails this time though, with about another 5-10 showning up to check it out and give it a go. SHould be fun with the fresh snow.

2 of my co-workers are meeting me there to ride along. And I'm breaking down and buying chains tonight. Somthng I have successfully got by without for years. Oh well - I'll join the club. I wouldn't want to be a wimpy leader.

treerootCO
01-05-2007, 07:01 PM
I'll be there, Yoder will be there. Who is with us? :)

Uncle Ben
01-05-2007, 08:32 PM
I'll be there, Yoder will be there. Who is with us? :)
Not I.....going boarding tomorrow and work on my 80 on Sunday. Have fun (know you will) and make furthest tracks! :thumb:

Hulk
01-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I'll be there.

Three Wheel Ben
01-06-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm gonna go to, probably bring the runner.

MDH33
01-06-2007, 10:08 AM
With the big melt down this week I'm going to give it a shot with chains. :thumb:

Subzali: you still planning on caravaning from Slees??

SROR/AKA 2BAD
01-06-2007, 10:32 AM
With the big melt down this week I'm going to give it a shot with chains. :thumb:

Subzali: you still planning on caravaning from Slees??

what time are you meeting at slees?
i'm coming up from castle rock.

MDH33
01-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Scott listed meeting time as 9am above Central City with run starting at 10:

Date: Sunday Jan. 7th, 2007
Time: Meet at 9am or so and leave by 10:00am sharp
Cb Channel 4
Wil will air down and chain up (if your using chains) at the meeting place.

Subzali was going to go up Clear Creek canyon to Central City from Golden:

On their website, sleeoffroad.com, they have their address listed with a link to a map. Basically it's on the west side of Hwy 93 as you're headed north out of Golden towards Boulder. You pass the turnoff (stoplight) that goes to Golden Gate Canyon State Park, and I believe it's the next left (no light). I'll probably be there at 8 and will leave no later than 8:30. CB 4.

So I am planning on being at Slees at 8am Sunday and going from there.

what time are you meeting at slees?
i'm coming up from castle rock.

Lysmachia
01-06-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't think I will be making it :( Funds are super tight right now and round trip (gas and then pizza) it's a $50 day. But I do hope to meet some of you very soon!

MDH33
01-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't think I will be making it :( Funds are super tight right now and round trip (gas and then pizza) it's a $50 day. But I do hope to meet some of you very soon!

Pizza is on the club and you can always ride shotgun with someone if you want. I believe there is a group leaving from Golden (see post above), you can meet up with us there and "carpool" to save gas $$. :beer:

Beater
01-06-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm out.. spouse took the 80 to breck for the weekend..

treerootCO
01-06-2007, 05:46 PM
I am ready for tomorrow. Picked up some Sorels at the surplus store.

MDH33
01-06-2007, 06:37 PM
I am ready for tomorrow. Picked up some Sorels at the surplus store.

Right on, you'll need 'em! I'm bringing my sorels, gators and snowshoes.

Anyone else going to meet at Slee's in the AM?? If not, I'll plan on going straight to the meeting spot near Central City.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
01-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Right on, you'll need 'em! I'm bringing my sorels, gators and snowshoes.

Anyone else going to meet at Slee's in the AM?? If not, I'll plan on going straight to the meeting spot near Central City.

we're gonna try,coming from castle rock.
probably leave the rock around 7:30-8:00.
we'll go by slee and head up colorado 74 (coal creek canyon) i believe

MDH33
01-06-2007, 08:44 PM
we're gonna try,coming from castle rock.
probably leave the rock around 7:30-8:00.
we'll go by slee and head up colorado 74 (coal creek canyon) i believe

Coal Creek is 72 and it goes up to Nederland/Rollinsville. 6 is Clear creek and goes up to Central City. more scenic and low speed route to avoid 70.

Subzali mentioned meeting at 8am at Slees to get to Central City by 9, as it's a longer route. Since he hasn't chimed in I guess I'm going to head straight for Central city... If you're coming from Castle Rock, I'd go up 70 from 470.

See you on the trail!

:cheers:

SROR/AKA 2BAD
01-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Coal Creek is 72 and it goes up to Nederland/Rollinsville. 6 is Clear creek and goes up to Central City. more scenic and low speed route to avoid 70.

Subzali mentioned meeting at 8am at Slees to get to Central City by 9, as it's a longer route. Since he hasn't chimed in I guess I'm going to head straight for Central city... If you're coming from Castle Rock, I'd go up 70 from 470.

See you on the trail!

:cheers:

i'm just gonna head up in the am,
we take the I70 frontage to the c/c hwy
see up there :thumb:
i'm in a SOA tan 60

subzali
01-06-2007, 11:06 PM
I'll be at Slee's at 8, leaving at 8:30. Some people mentioned not knowing how to get there, so if you're still in that club, stop by and we'll caravan up Hwy 6/Clear Creek. Let's hit it!

treerootCO
01-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Dress warm, the winds have been whipping through Wheat Ridge all night.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
01-07-2007, 08:05 AM
PROLLY BE up there close to 10

you won't be far ;)

Three Wheel Ben
01-07-2007, 08:14 AM
leaving at 8ish, see you guys in CC

MDH33
01-07-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm out. Gassed up the 40 late last night, dropped it into 4 hi on the back roads which are still snowclogged. Heard a terrible noise coming from the TC... checked it: dry! Must be pumping into the trans because it wasn't leaking a drop. I hope it isn't ruined. no time this morning for a trans/TC oil change and I don't have enough 90 wt on hand for them both anyway.

Wife needs the 60 today so I'm going nowhere.

Have fun!

subzali
01-07-2007, 07:44 PM
bummer dude, you missed out. :(

MDH33
01-07-2007, 07:57 PM
bummer dude, you missed out. :(

Yeah, that about sums it up.

"I love the smell of 90 wt in the morning. It smells like... Defeat." :)

subzali
01-07-2007, 08:47 PM
lol :D hope your t-case is okay, I guess I can call myself lucky for dripping 90wt all over the place because mine leaks to the outside :hill:

nuclearlemon
01-07-2007, 09:20 PM
lol :D hope your t-case is okay, I guess I can call myself lucky for dripping 90wt all over the place because mine leaks to the outside :hill:

should be pretty clean after today.

Crash
01-07-2007, 09:58 PM
should be pretty clean after today.

I think the undercarriage of Bart is about as mag chloride-free as it has been since, oh, Cruise Moab?! :D That was some deep yogurt out there today. Some fun.