PDA

View Full Version : 31" Snow tires

El Flaco
12-11-2006, 10:31 PM
So it looks like I am going to have to wake the sleeping beauty from hibernation and enlist her as a new worktruck. Just started a job with a Timberframe company and all the sites are high in the hills...like WAY off the beaten path. Im currently running 33" BFG MT As some of you may know they simply suck on snow covered pavement, and especially becuase of how light my 4runner is. I really need to find something that is 31" and studdable but also with a decent offroad tread for the intermittent thaws to get up these roads. Any suggestions?? I cant seem to find anything that is suitable past a 235/75/R15.

corsair23
12-12-2006, 01:11 AM
I have a set of 31x10.5 Yokohama F340s (I think that is it) that are absolutely awesome in the snow/ice...Not sure how they would do offroad like in mud though. They are no longer made but I imagine the newer Yokohama snow tires would be just as good.

You could always sipe the MTs to give them better street capability in the snow...I had my Toyo MTs siped (just the centers) and I was really impressed with how they handled on the snow covered streets. Discount Tire charges about $12/tire for siping which might be an inexpensive test to see how the MTs would work afterwards...

If not, I've seen good reviews on the new ProComp Extreme ATs which are supposedly good on the street and in the snow while having a decent enough void for ok offroad/mud use.

leiniesred
12-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Test vehicle: 1989 4runner. Test period: 10 years

I had siped BFG-MT's 35x12.50s They still sucked on snow. I had siped and unsiped 33x9.50s BFG-MTs and they sucked on the snow too.

Dunlop Radial Rovers were pretty good in the snow. I had 31x10.50s. Only so-so in mud.
My 36x13.50 IROKs aren't bad at all in the snow and work well in mud too.

Rzeppa
12-12-2006, 08:01 PM
I have run siped BFG M/Ts for about 7 years, 4 different cruisers. Sizes: 31x10.5, 33x10.5 and 35x12.5. They do GREAT on ice and snow-packed pavement. I started out with the 35x12.5s unsiped. They SUCKED on ice and snow packed pavement. After a year I took them in and had them siped. Difference was like night and day.

I've also run 31x10.5 BFG A/Ts and they are much better out of the gate than the M/Ts on ice and snow packed pavement, but don't hold a candle to the M/Ts in deep snow or mud. They're both about the same on rocks. I ran Firestone Town and Country 235R75s for many years and they were great in snow, ice, rocks and pavement, but they stopped making them about 8 years ago :-(

Maybe the difference that Steve and I had is that most of my miles are in 40s, which are heavier and shorter than runners. My LWB HZJ75 weighed 7000 pounds. I have definitely noticed that when I moved the exact same tyres over from one of my 40s to my FJ45, performance in the snow dropped off some, same exact 4000 pound weight, only difference is wheelbase.

trucruiser
12-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Bridgestone Duelers are pretty good in the snow and come in a 31 size, AT tread but i dont think they are studdable.

MDH33
12-13-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm running BFG AT/TA's in 31 x 10.5 on both my rigs and they have been great in the snow (mainly on the road). In the deep stuff they are a bit narrow and don't have a lot of floatation. Overall, I give them two thumbs :thumb: :thumb: .

El Flaco
12-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all the input. I think Ill try to sipe these first and see how it works before I drop $500+ on a new set that may not be much better. They still have at least 80% tread. Let ya know how it goes.

corsair23
12-14-2006, 09:12 PM
I was at Discount Tire today having some MT/Rs mounted and siped and I asked the guy what tires they carry in a 31x10.5 15 that are studdable and decent offroad tires...

He brought out a Dominator Sport A/T tire See here (http://www.nebraskatire.com/lt_truck/images/285dominator.jpg) and here (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rcz=80126&rc=CODINT&c=1&cf=false&cs=31&pc=27154&rd=15&ar=1050&ct=&rf=true)

According to the guy it is a Cooper made tire that is made for Discount Tire stores...

Anyway, he said his dad runs this all year long on a F150 that he uses to pull his early year Bronco up to hunting camps. He said they sipe the centers (which also have stud points) even though they are already siped and that they do great in snow/ice. As for offroad...he says his dad goes into pretty remote areas with deep snow and occassional mud and they perform well. The guy was nice and knew I wasn't buying them but who knows...We got to talking and found out he owns and early year Bronco that he busted the rear end on by trying to climb his friend's 5' retaining wall with (or so he said). He seemed proud of the fact he did that :rolleyes:

Anyway, these may be as close as you can get to what you want without trying to figure out a way to put studs in an MT...:confused:

Corbet
12-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Nokian makes two tires that may work for you.

Vatiiva
available in LT31x10.5x15 or LT285/75r16 (32.9")
Its like a AT tire thats been siped.

Hakkapeliitta LT
available in LT31x10.5x15 or LT265/75r16 (31.7")
Designed as a winter tire available with or without studs.

Cooper Tires

Discoverer M+S
31x10.5x15
Winter tire available with or without studs.

Hulk
12-15-2006, 07:21 PM
I had Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires on my Audi S4 and they were amazing.

corsair23
12-15-2006, 10:43 PM
OK...

One more suggestion...Was leafing through my offroad mag and saw a picture of the new Pro Comp MTs and I saw what appeared to be holes for studs...Sure enough, they are studdable...

Pro Comp MTs (http://www.procomptires.com/mudterrain.html)

So, you want a studdable tire that is decent offroad? I would have to imagine these might be the ticket if you're up for dropping the :twocents: for them...They are already sort of siped but I imagine if you siped the centers on top of putting studs in these tires should be pretty darn good...

I'd even suggest the Toyo MTs (with siped centers) but so far I've only experienced on snow storm with them and, to my knowledge, they aren't studable.