PDA

View Full Version : interesting license plate issue...

timmbuck2
12-14-2006, 03:00 PM
OK, so I sold my supercharged '96 in June of this year to a guy in North Denver. The plates expired in October, he asked to keep them for a few weeks until he got it registered. I (stupidly, I guess) said OK. He never got back to me, but I forgot all about it. Until I received a parking ticket in the mail for a ticket in July in his neighborhood...and another ticket in October. According to the Denver Parking Violations website, I would have to bring in the bill of sale, a copy of the title with his name on it, and the canceled plates to get out of the tickets. I sent him a quick letter with the 2 tickets attached, and it was sent back to me with UNC handwritten next to his name and stamped Return to Sender, Attempted - Not Known. Well, I know this is his address, I went to his house twice. I assume he pretended not to be himself, but wouldn't the mailman know his name. I dropped by his house today, and the truck is in the front driveway, with the expired plates still on it, and the address is correct. If he parks it on the street again and gets a ticket, he will get booted for these 2 tickets, but what should I do? Can I legally go take my plates back? He seems to be trying to dodge me with the letter being returned, but I guess that could be an innocent mistake by the mailman. I guess I will type up a few letters and leave them at his house, on the truck, etc. He also owns 2 restaurants nearby, I could send registered letters to all his places. What do you guys think? Should I always keep the plates in the future?? Thanks.

TB2

:beer: :( :beer:

nuclearlemon
12-14-2006, 03:04 PM
go take your plate off it asap, and follow the procedures to contest the tickets.

wesintl
12-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Don't ever leave your plates with a buyer.

Go up there take them off your old truck. Have fun getting out of the rest of the stuff. I'd pay the tickets and be done with it. JMHO

Hulk
12-14-2006, 03:13 PM
I'd go get your plates, if you think it's safe. They are expired anyway. If he calls you and asks where the plates are, just say, "I have been wondering the same thing."

Once you have the plates, you can try to get out of the tickets. You can show the bill of sale and explain that the title was provided to the buyer. It can't be the first time this has happened.

nakman
12-14-2006, 04:27 PM
I would try to keep it legal. Meaning tell the DMV exactly what happened, tell the state, tell the cops.. follow up with the number on the tickets then proceed under their direction. You did everything legit up to this point so no need to start breaking laws.. if you go "steal" your plates back that only hurts your credibility, much better a cop knocks on his door than you.. keep it his problem with the law, not both of yours. JMHO, of course..

This also happened to me, when I sold a car to a "friend." He then got two parking tickets... but when I showed him the letters and he realized how pissed off I was he paid them. We still hang out, but I don't loan him money anymore..

Romer
12-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Boy am I glad Nakman is such an upstanding guy, I lent him my plates for a while. BUT I trust Tim. I wouldn't have done that with anyone else.

timmbuck2
12-14-2006, 06:49 PM
yeah, I have been wondering about the legality of taking "my" plates back. He owns 2 restaurants near where he lives....Cafe Star and Stella Trattoria. I should visit them when he is around. I would like for him to take care of this without me having to resort to anything rash, but if he can't even afford to register the truck, he probably won't have a couple hundred bucks for the tickets...

corsair23
12-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Call the non-emergency telephone # for the Denver police and ask a cop what you should do...They may not have a clue and then again they may agree to go with you to remove the plates. IMHO that guy is breaking the law driving an unlicensed, unregistered vehicle and must be a few bulbs short up in the 'ole noggin. I agree about not taking back the plates yourself...Even though legally they should be yours, who knows how much trouble you could get into 'stealing' back your own stuff?

nakman
12-14-2006, 08:42 PM
The Starbucks up here in Broomfield has this "coffee with a cop" deal on Saturday mornings.. maybe there's something similar in your area? The idea is it's a chance to ask a cop a question w/o being pulled over. I think it's at 10:00, could find out for sure if you wanted. lmk..

lfd270ben
12-14-2006, 09:00 PM
If it were me I would mess him over just as bad as he is doing to you and report the plates stolen just say you had them in the back of your truck or on your porch as a decoration and you didnt notice they were missing until you got those tickets in the mail result ....... he gets pulled over by the cops, arrested, has to pay the tickets, and late fees.... karma man

PabloCruise
12-14-2006, 09:04 PM
In CO, the plates follow the owner, not the vehicle - pull 'em

timmbuck2
12-14-2006, 09:32 PM
I will ask a cop...but I am sure that grabbing them is not a very good idea...thanks for all the input! I appreciate the info...

T

treerootCO
12-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Doing anything with license plates is a Federal offense, do not mess with them even if they are yours. You should always keep a bill of sale for yourself when you sell a vehicle for this exact reason. Just imagine if instead of a few parking tickets, the vehicle was used in a crime.

timmbuck2
12-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Doing anything with license plates is a Federal offense, do not mess with them even if they are yours.

I agree 100%. I won't be touching the plates. If he had not gotten the tickets, I guess it would not be a big deal, but now I could be out a couple hundred bucks. I learned my lesson. I did not realize the plates followed the truck, in Minnesota I think the plates stayed on the car. Thanks again...

Timm

corsair23
12-14-2006, 11:29 PM
If he had not gotten the tickets, I guess it would not be a big deal, but now I could be out a couple hundred bucks...
Timm

I'm thinking this is a MUCH bigger deal than you realize...

You sold the truck in June...He kept the plates...The fact that YOU received the parking tickets tells me that as far as the CO DMV is concerned that vehicle still belongs to YOU. That is not good...

This guy is driving around in a vehicle he purchased 6 months ago that he has not licensed or registered in his name and is driving around on plates registered to you. Please don't take this lightly...Consider the worst here and get on this ASAP. If this 'guy' were to get in an accident, run over someone, whatever, and then run but someone got the plate guess who's door the cops are going to be knocking on and guess who is going to be arrested :eek:

It just doesn't make sense why a guy that reportedly owns a couple of restaurants is taking this risk...Either he is a complete idiot, an extremely dim bulb, or a very shady character.

IMHO the first thing you should do tomorrow is call the cops and go from there. You're not trying to get the guy in trouble but at the same time you have got to cover your a$$...If something really bad were to happen you could be out a lot more than a couple hundred bucks!

Good Luck!!

Hulk
12-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Yeah, he probably hasn't insured the Cruiser if he hasn't bothered to register it. If he's not driving it, then no worries. But he got 2 parking tix, so he clearly is driving it. And if the vehicle is not insured, and it's still registered in your name...

Calling the cops is a great idea. Who knows, you may get a cop to drive over and remove the license plates for you!

wesintl
12-15-2006, 09:01 AM
I'm not aware of any state where the plate follows the vehicle Because the plate is registered in your name. At least that's the way It's been in the couple states i've been in. I don't think there is one dmv website that says to let the plate stay on the vehicle.

Personally I don't think you'll get anywhere going through the system or asking a cop, JMHO. It's not like the feds are staked out at his place waiting waiting for your to come get your plate back. Believe me if he hasn't registered the cruiser by now he ain't going to hop down to the dmv and take care of it first thing today. He'll continue to milk parking where he wants and stacking up tickets as long as he can.

MDH33
12-15-2006, 09:07 AM
I think that because tickets are already issued, the police would be willing to get involved. The guy is breaking the law just by driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle. At this point, the plates are stolen property.

60wag
12-15-2006, 09:07 AM
In Illinois the plate stayed with the car, or at least they used to. It solved the whole problem that Timbuck2 has now. Once you had a bill of sale in hand, the vehicle was no longer your responsibility, plates or no plates.

ginericLC
12-15-2006, 10:01 AM
MN does in fact have the plates go with the vehicle unless it is a personalized plate.

Heck, if it were me and I found out the guy never registered the vehicle and was driving around on my plates I'd be a real jerk and apply for a duplicate title and go pick up the rig. If you have to pay the tickets because you technically have the vehicle registered to you, you may as well really have the vehicle.

Three Wheel Ben
12-15-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm not aware of any state where the plate follows the vehicle Because the plate is registered in your name. At least that's the way It's been in the couple states i've been in. I don't think there is one dmv website that says to let the plate stay on the vehicle.

Personally I don't think you'll get anywhere going through the system or asking a cop, JMHO. It's not like the feds are staked out at his place waiting waiting for your to come get your plate back. Believe me if he hasn't registered the cruiser by now he ain't going to hop down to the dmv and take care of it first thing today. He'll continue to milk parking where he wants and stacking up tickets as long as he can.

Oregon they stayed with the car. That was new to me when we moved there and I thought very odd. But you can't pump your own gas either.:dunno:

wesintl
12-15-2006, 10:07 AM
It was always my understanding that they "COULD" go with the car if both parties filled out a transfer of plates but in the states I've lived it was never manditory they went with the vehicle. I guess that was back when people were more honest than they are today. I don't think that's the norm in many states today. Usually most of the DMV's will give you a pro rated pay back and have done away with plate transfers since it's a PITA. I'm sure there are still more than a few antiquated states out there.

Hulk
12-15-2006, 10:53 AM
I know in Texas the plates go with the vehicle, and I think it is that way in California as well. That's why you see a lot of old 60s-era cars in Cali with the old black plates.

Corbet
12-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Call the police, explain your mistake, pay the tickets, move on with life. I doubt the time you spend trying to get out of paying them would be worth it in the end. Time=money.

lfd270ben
12-15-2006, 08:46 PM
MN does in fact have the plates go with the vehicle unless it is a personalized plate.

Heck, if it were me and I found out the guy never registered the vehicle and was driving around on my plates I'd be a real jerk and apply for a duplicate title and go pick up the rig. If you have to pay the tickets because you technically have the vehicle registered to you, you may as well really have the vehicle.
now that is awesome!!!!!

Jenny Cruiser
12-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Just because he hasn't registered it doesn't mean it's not insured. I buy and sell bikes all the time and I never register them in my name, but I do carry full coverage on them. He's prolly just waiting until January to register it unless he's got some emissions problem. The cops aren't going to do shizzle for you. Go get your plates before your Jeffersons turn to collection notices and impact your credit. You can't remedy the situation without them. If you pay for two I guarantee you'll eventually pay for three.