PDA

View Full Version : Internet provider

waggoner5
12-18-2006, 09:11 AM
I am pretty spoiled here in Texas with a good friend that owns a internet service provider that is Microwave right to the AT&T fiber optic line. I get hooked up at 1.5mps at the slow end. Most of the time its around 3.5mps. My question is....who in the Golden area has the best reliable fast connection? I want to have service when I come up at Xmas.
G

MDH33
12-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Not sure about Golden, but here in Denver I have a dedicated high speed DSL line through Qwest. I think I'm getting 5-7mps. I have 5 static IP's and a small network of computers on it. It's really stable and speedy.

Hulk
12-18-2006, 10:55 AM
I've been getting 5+ Mbps with Comcast at home. I have Qwest DSL at my office -- not quite as speedy, but still pretty rockin'.

nakman
12-18-2006, 11:02 AM
also on Comcast cable, has been way better than Qwest DSL at our place. ymmv..

wesintl
12-18-2006, 11:21 AM
I've been very pleased with qwest dsl. I have a dedicated 1.5 line. I think it's only been down once in 2+ years. I was gun shy of high speed cable because when I had it in Va. service and availability was terrible. It was always down, speeds went from amazingly fast to utterly slow in seconds but i didn't have any other option for high speed at the time. I also wanted a dedicated line. I know hackers regularly hang out in the cable pipes looking for vulnerability.

There is also the 8m comcast... http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=972&highlight=comcast

Nick F.
12-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I had comcast when I lived in golden. I wish I could get it up in the sticks.

nuclearlemon
12-18-2006, 02:59 PM
comcast is quite a bit faster than qwest.

Romer
12-18-2006, 04:11 PM
So Gary, Will you be staying at your new place? When do you close?

nuclearlemon
12-18-2006, 06:00 PM
So Gary, Will you be staying at your new place? When do you close?
i think he's closing the 22nd, iirc

treerootCO
12-18-2006, 06:27 PM
All you need to know is right here ----> 8.4MB download and 768 upload!! (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=972&highlight=comcast)

all the cool kids are running high speed comcast :D

IanB
12-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Not sure about Golden, but here in Denver I have a dedicated high speed DSL line through Qwest. I think I'm getting 5-7mps. I have 5 static IP's and a small network of computers on it. It's really stable and speedy.

I have Comcast, had to get a business account to get static IP's though. 5Mb service.

treerootCO
12-18-2006, 06:45 PM
I can keep my IP address for months. Eventually it will expire but I had it up 6 months once.

IanB
12-18-2006, 07:17 PM
I can keep my IP address for months. Eventually it will expire but I had it up 6 months once.

Lol DHCP ftw! I wanted to just go that route, but at the time I was working with a defense contractor and the only way they would let me through the firewall even with VPN was from a static IP.

ScaldedDog
12-18-2006, 07:43 PM
I have Comcast, had to get a business account to get static IP's though. 5Mb service.

Does Comcast still block inbound ports if you have a business account?

[/hijack]

Mark

IanB
12-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Does Comcast still block inbound ports if you have a business account?

[/hijack]

Mark

Not that i am aware of. What ports?

RockRunner
12-18-2006, 10:15 PM
I am pretty spoiled here in Texas with a good friend that owns a internet service provider that is Microwave right to the AT&T fiber optic line. I get hooked up at 1.5mps at the slow end. Most of the time its around 3.5mps. My question is....who in the Golden area has the best reliable fast connection? I want to have service when I come up at Xmas.
G

Are you looking for download speed only or also upload? Cable can only handle up to 768 k the download is up to 7 mb, ofcourse that all depends on how many people are on your hub at the time.

If you are just looking to surf and play games Comcast is great, if you are looking to use it for work or a server you need DSL or Comcast Business. With Qwest you can customize your package as needed, get a fixed IP for a server and buy the speed you need, both up and down. Comcast offers an upgrade but it is pricey.

Look at your need s and go from there, hope this helps some.

treerootCO
12-18-2006, 11:07 PM
or, Gary could move to the ghetto. According to the Comcast guy I am the only one on my hub :D

RockRunner
12-19-2006, 12:20 AM
or, Gary could move to the ghetto. According to the Comcast guy I am the only one on my hub :D

I knew living in the burbs wouldcome back to bite me................damn rich yuppies with all their laptops..............oh wait I have one........nevermind:o

waggoner5
12-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Found out yesterday that there is no cable up where the house is. Bummer. I did find a a provided that has 7mbs up and down and its point to point so I wouldn't get clogged up. Its less than what I pay now so I may give them a shot. The site is Whispertel and they have voice over IP as well so that takes care of the phone also.
I close on the 20th which is tomorrow, and will be coming back up on the 26th to camp out. We have no furniture so we'll be sleeping bagging it for the week we will be there. Can't believe it's really going to happen. I have been wanting out of Texas ever since I got here.
G

bh4rnnr
12-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Found out yesterday that there is no cable up where the house is. Bummer. I did find a a provided that has 7mbs up and down and its point to point so I wouldn't get clogged up. Its less than what I pay now so I may give them a shot. The site is Whispertel and they have voice over IP as well so that takes care of the phone also.
I close on the 20th which is tomorrow, and will be coming back up on the 26th to camp out. We have no furniture so we'll be sleeping bagging it for the week we will be there. Can't believe it's really going to happen. I have been wanting out of Texas ever since I got here.
G

Gary, look forward to seeing ya up in these parts:beer: .

wesintl
12-19-2006, 09:34 AM

Why don't you get a directional antenna and pipe it to him on the mountain :lmao:

Hulk
12-19-2006, 11:06 AM
I have been wanting out of Texas ever since I got here.

That's an interesting alternate state slogan.

Romer
12-19-2006, 11:11 AM
And if can just hang out till the third of Jan, you could come to a club meeting

waggoner5
12-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Unfortunatly Shelby has to be back in school on that day. I'll work it out to get back up there in Feb I'm sure.

Romer
12-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Just leave the diesel. Ige will drive it for the Jan 7th run