PDA

View Full Version : Some parking brake help please

Nick F.
12-18-2006, 09:09 PM
I just installed a new parking brake cable(may you never have to endure such a chore) and all new guts including a new drum in my parking brake. I'm pretty sure I have everything installed right, but the damn thing is too tight. Like two clicks to full lock. I can spin the drum by hand but you can hear it rub on the shoes. The little adjuster is set to the most closed position. Any ideas?

treerootCO
12-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Is the bracket on the firewall pointed down?

Nick F.
12-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Yes, I believe the bracket is on right.

treerootCO
12-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Is the end of the cable seated in the brake drum lever clip thingy?

Nick F.
12-18-2006, 09:36 PM
I fingered it out(I think). The bottom of the shoes were real tight in the adjuster. I turned the adjuster one click forward and then back and I heard them seat properly. Fixed the problem. Thanks Mike.

RockRunner
12-18-2006, 11:05 PM
I fingered it out(I think). The bottom of the shoes were real tight in the adjuster. I turned the adjuster one click forward and then back and I heard them seat properly. Fixed the problem. Thanks Mike.

Well that takes all I was going to say that after I read your post. I had the same problem on my old truck, untill it seats itself it is tighter. Took me two days to figure that one out...........legs got a workout :o