PDA

View Full Version : FEAT is on!!!

nakman
12-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey FEATers, get ready to get called to action, or call the dispatch number. If you're not in FEAT, today would be a great day to sign up, I'm sure they'd love to hear from you. I'm about out the door otherwise I'd post up a web site, I'm sure you can search and find it easy enough, it's been posted here a few times I know. :thumb:

Convert
12-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Sounds like fun but my truck is in Fairplay with my daughter

Groucho
12-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Tim,

I was driving home thinking "I wonder if Tim wants to go out and help get folks where they need to go?"

Took me about 2 hours to get home, but the white 80 made it. I think I am going to check if I am signed up, if not, add myself to their roster. Ham traffic for weather and safety nets are all over. Pretty cool! Just not those who are not warm and comfy at home.

Romer
12-20-2006, 06:07 PM
This is what I got with google. I'll pass

FEAT (Families for Early Autism Treatment) is a non-profit organization of parents and professionals, designed to help families with children who have ...

Romer
12-20-2006, 06:09 PM
or are you talking about F.E.A.T.

Four Wheel Drive Emergency Assistance Team

Sometimes with you I can't tell :D

Convert
12-20-2006, 06:32 PM
or are you talking about F.E.A.T.

Four Wheel Drive Emergency Assistance Team

Sometimes with you I can't tell :D

He is talking about this one

xtrmemtnmn
12-20-2006, 06:40 PM
F.E.A.T.
http://www.hightrails.org/feat.html

Romer
12-20-2006, 08:30 PM
He is talking about this one

I knew that Dan:rolleyes:

Red_Chili
12-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Did I hear a chain jangling? :D

Red_Chili
12-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Signed up. Working remotely till 2, while the kids (slave labor) shovel the driveway.

nakman
12-21-2006, 09:57 AM
3 cops in thornton needed a ride to work last night.. sorry to everyone stuck last night on 120th who was all pissed at that guy that created a new lane on the right thinking he was on a mission or something.. I was on a mission! :)

Kenon698
12-21-2006, 12:38 PM
I didn't need to sign up with F.E.A.T. Wife works at a hospital and I spent Wednesday and Thursday picking up and delivering Rad Tech for her. It was great fun.

treerootCO
12-21-2006, 06:20 PM
how cool is this? Not 15 minutes later, saved, edited, compressed and hosted :D
http://www.root45.com/upload/GreenMachine.wmv

nakman
12-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Ok, I got a call tonight from FEAT.. "preregistering" for this Friday. I guess everyone's pretty spooked about the next snow, eh?

timmbuck2
12-27-2006, 09:46 PM
awesome...just registered. hope we get a ton!!

Groucho
12-28-2006, 06:21 AM
I got the call last night as well. I hope that we all can be of assistance this time.

Red_Chili
12-28-2006, 07:23 AM
Me too.

I suggested maybe we might help Hickenlooper out of the bind he's gotten himself into. The dispatcher was, um, well... did not appear to be a strong Hickenlooper supporter, let me put it like that.:lmao: :lmao:

:cheers:

subzali
10-11-2007, 11:43 AM
TTT who else is gonna join this winter? :D

Rezarf
10-11-2007, 01:30 PM
I'd sign up, just need to know how.

Drew

subzali
10-11-2007, 01:45 PM
FEAT linky (http://www.hightrails.org/feat.html)

Uncle Ben
10-11-2007, 02:04 PM
I'd sign up, just need to know how.

Drew

Sorry doood....they can only use folks who have control of tail wagging! :p: :lmao::hill:

Rezarf
10-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I can still 'wheel on the streets! :D

Rezarf
10-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Just signed up!

Drew

Inukshuk
10-13-2007, 05:43 PM
I have been a member for years. They never called in the last storm. Dispatch has been a weakness.

nakman
12-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Anyone get called to action this week? I thought the phone would have been ringing on Thursday night for sure.. but nada.

Rogue Leader
12-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Dang There Is An Age Restriction

Maddmatt
12-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Anyone get called to action this week? I thought the phone would have been ringing on Thursday night for sure.. but nada.

Nah, I was ready too, yesterday would have been a fun day to go out.

RockRunner
12-28-2007, 02:37 PM
I have been a member for years. They never called in the last storm. Dispatch has been a weakness.

Did you call them and let them know that you were available? If not you need to do so. When there is a minor storm they use the people that call first, if it is real bad they go to their lists.

I signed up a while ago but they have only called once. Seems that living in Roxborough is a negative as I have to drive to far to get to most people. I know we have a ton of integral people that live here that needed rides. The other thing is that we are Douglas county, sort of on our own.

Anyway read the below section, it explains all their rules etc.

Instructions for Jeffco and FEAT Colorado Springs will be similar to these for FEAT Denver.

FEAT will only be activated when the Denver Office of Emergency Management has been activated. Listen to the radio or TV for announcements that the Denver Office of Emergency Management is under a snow or other emergency. If FEAT is activated, and you are available to furnish emergency transportation please do the following:

Check your vehicle to make sure it is in good condition and has sufficient fuel to complete assignments.

Call FEAT at 720-865-7620 or 7621 to let the dispatcher know that you are available. The FEAT number is only answered during emergencies. Please do not give this number to anyone except FEAT volunteers. Remember to call each time we have a storm or other emergency. You will usually not be called by FEAT unless we are requested to go on a search and rescue mission.

When you call FEAT, please let the dispatcher know when and where you will be available and phone numbers where you can be reached. As rides are requested, dispatch will call you back with the name, phone number and address of the rider. You will then call the rider back to make arrangements where and when to meet.

Do not ask for or accept payment when offered. If payment is offered, give your rider a FEAT identification card which has been supplied and signed by you. Donations are accepted for FEAT, but not solicited. After you have delivered your rider, please call dispatch again as soon as you are available. Let dispatch know that you are safe and ready to pick up another assignment.

FEAT has standing requests from some hospitals to work directly with their staff. If you would like to volunteer for this work, please let dispatch know when you call in and they will give you the name and number of a coordinator.

If you have any problems with any assignment or rider, please let dispatcher know immediately. For future reference a record of each riderís name and address and the name of the volunteer providing transportation is maintained.

Please keep a record of your time and miles driven as a volunteer for FEAT on the form provided. It is needed by FEAT and the city to show total number of hours spent by volunteers. In addition, if you wish to qualify for any available gas reimbursement, this record will be required.

For general information you can contact the following committee members:
Gene King - Committee Chairperson (303) 425-7480

Inukshuk
12-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Did you call them and let them know that you were available? If not you need to do so. When there is a minor storm they use the people that call first, if it is real bad they go to their lists.

I'm happy to do my part if they call, and I know I'm still on the list since I get the periodic messages from Gene, but I figure if they don't call that's just as well. I keep my yellow placard in a nice waterproof folder ready to go with all the phone numbers, etc.

subzali
01-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Hey Drew, you and I signed up about the same time, have you gotten this fabled yellow placard or periodic messages? I have no indication that they know I exist.

Inukshuk
01-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Hey Drew, you and I signed up about the same time, have you gotten this fabled yellow placard or periodic messages? I have no indication that they know I exist.

Gene W. King [Gene@BigBlueToy.com] is the coordinator and I get the periodic e-mails from him and through a Yahoo Group.

Anyway, how DO you KNOW that YOU exist? :rolleyes:

nuclearlemon
01-03-2008, 04:53 PM
i know they had a lot of issues with the computer system last year. the original engineer came in last summer and went through it all and it's up and running now with a ton of updates, so hopefully they won't have the problems they had last winter.

in addition to fixing some stuff, they have a program that compiles statistics like number of drivers, number of trips, miles accrued, etc.

also, the computer now will completely delete any personal info every time it's logged off after the event. all that info is kept on a flash drive that gene will keep. a lot of people can get into the offices where these computers are, so it will do a lot to keep anybody's info from getting misused.

subzali
02-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Boom shaka laka

wesintl
02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
I got a mail.. we'll see if I get a call

RockRunner
02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I got a mail.. we'll see if I get a call

Same here, just fueled up both trucks.

RockRunner
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Gene King himself just called me, asked for two days and to be ready at 6 am :o I told him that we had members at the ready.

RockRunner
02-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Gene just called and is looking for people for Friday and Saturday. Fuel up now and be ready at 6 am. I will have my radio on 146.460.

We'll see how it goes.

wesintl
02-02-2012, 08:24 PM
where is your first pickup?

lol
We ask you to NOT strap or pull out stuck vehicles; assist a rider to shovel snow or others to put on tire chains, jump-start vehicles, etc. We always have ride requests that are more important than assisting the public. Beside, this is a snow emergency and these folks should inside watching TV.

Jacket
02-02-2012, 08:33 PM
It's funny cause its true (both that we'll have a strong urge to stop, and that there will be yahoos in the ditch).

RockRunner
02-02-2012, 08:35 PM
where is your first pickup?

Not sure yet, I am in Roxborough and know that there are a lot of doctors and nurses that work at Littleton and Sky ridge hospital. I just wonder if I can take the Dodge or 4Runner instead.

lol
We ask you to NOT strap or pull out stuck vehicles; assist a rider to shovel snow or others to put on tire chains, jump-start vehicles, etc. We always have ride requests that are more important than assisting the public. Beside, this is a snow emergency and these folks should inside watching TV.

I used to help people a lot till I was nearly beat up due to a dent the guy got:rant:. I still help but they have to hook everything up and agree to a possibility of damage.:eek:

leiniesred
02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Got the call from Gene. Ready to go.

RockRunner
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Got the call from Gene. Ready to go.

You got your ham installed yet?

nakman
02-02-2012, 08:54 PM
If I get dispatched I'll definitely shout out on the radio, if I don't hear anyone on simplex will try some of the local 2m repeaters.

bvb
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Got the email!

Inukshuk
02-02-2012, 11:29 PM
me too. lets see if we get any snow. Course I'll have to hook up the HAM since we disconnected it all for the rebuild.

subzali
02-03-2012, 07:39 AM
No call yet, but I'm at work so I can't volunteer today anyway. Snow level is disappointing compared to what they were predicting....

Red_Chili
02-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Not up here it isn't! :D
Still coming down with a vengeance too.

MDH33
02-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Not up here it isn't! :D
Still coming down with a vengeance too.

I guess I already have over 12" and it's still coming down heavily. Jeffco had my road plowed out at 7:00am too. :D I'm going to wait until tonight to fire up the snow blower though.

Caribou Sandstorm
02-03-2012, 08:51 AM
i just called my contacts at Swedish and Rose and offered help for any physicians and staff that need to get in but can't.

If I hear back I will post up to see if anyone can help.

We have 8" hear at my house University and Evans. But the drifts are closer to 12" inches.

subzali
02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
i just called my contacts at Swedish and Rose and offered help for any physicians and staff that need to get in but can't.

We have 8" hear at my house University and Evans. But the drifts are closer to 12" inches.

They should know about FEAT no?

wesintl
02-03-2012, 08:54 AM
snow is impressive here in the ranch. over a foot easily

no call from gene though

nakman
02-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Only 4" up here in Broomfield... no call from FEAT, took the :Princess:'s car to the office. Guess it's another day of "name that trail.." :rolleyes: :(

rover67
02-03-2012, 08:59 AM
got about a foot in boulder, but allison drove the jetta to work. new skid plate will get a little use maybe. that **** was heavy to shovel.

Farnham, how's vail?

nakman
02-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Doesn't even look like it's snowing up there. http://www.vail.com/mountain/current-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx

sno bored
02-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Vail reported 1", Breck reported 2", I had about an inch at my house. Dang upslope storms, you guys are getting all the snow. Not even snowing up here now.

art hog
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
pushing 3 feet here in rollinsville. still comming down very heavy.

DaveInDenver
02-03-2012, 09:36 AM

We had a decent snow cover this morning, I'd have guessed 8" or so like you Chris. Took a while to shovel everything out of the driveway and alley so I got to work about 1/2 hour later than normal. I went the back way using Monaco/Yale/Yosemite/Belleview so I didn't see Porter. Downing and Evans were both plowed but the packed wet crud at the bottom was slick. I slid right through the light at Jasmine & Evans, but so did the guy behind me. Wisely the person who had the green waited for us both to clear...

Red_Chili
02-03-2012, 10:18 AM
WOW... apparently you guys down at 5K' are not only slammed with snow... you are slammed with DARK!!!

Jacket
02-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Only 4" up here in Broomfield... no call from FEAT, took the :Princess:'s car to the office. Guess it's another day of "name that trail.." :rolleyes: :(

That's crazy. I have 13" here at my house, and I can't be more than 10 miles from you....

Caribou Sandstorm
02-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Yep from the looks of the doplers, I am guessing Winterpark/Mary Jane/ Eldora are the cut offs of getting significant ski snow.

RockRunner
02-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Spoke to Gene this morning, he had only a few calls so far. They are waiting for tonight when things freeze up and the heavy snow starts falling. Either way the roads are clear from the CA drivers and you can make pretty good time.

Red_Chili
02-03-2012, 11:15 AM
They are waiting for tonight when things freeze up and the heavy snow starts falling.
:eek:

;)

Still coming down heavy in Evergreen, have over a foot now. So it really starts tonight???
:thumb:

Overlander
02-03-2012, 12:19 PM
I just found this Thread.... went to sign up for the FEAT program but the link no longer works - is this program still active?! Just rescued my neighbor this morning... was fun - ready to help out.

Hehe - we got about good 16 inches and my truck never noticed... :) I've had a number of 4x4s but never drove anything like my FZJ80 before - just incredible.

subzali
02-03-2012, 12:38 PM
http://www.hightrails.org/index.php/menu-projects-programs/menu-feat

wesintl
02-03-2012, 12:43 PM
whoa.. we have 15 and it's not supposed to stop til tomorrow AM :eek:

Overlander
02-03-2012, 01:04 PM

Yeah... we have at least that much here in Westminster - it's purdy... :)

Red_Chili
02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
It's snowing Porcupines up here...

Geez, I'm gonna have to break out the porcupine thrower early just to be ABLE to do it later.

Or else I'll dig porcutunnels.

Caribou Sandstorm
02-03-2012, 01:41 PM
I pulled a guy out of the ally this morning from Florida, with race tires.. Then he slid back and rescued him again. That was fun.

Overlander
02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
My neighbor's truck (2WD Dodge) was sitting there spinning tires this morning... I drove over there like it was nothing... :) Wouldn't you know it there was no recovery points of any kind under his front - nothing. We thought about pulling him out by the bumper but that thing was wrapped in plastic - he didn't wanna risk it. About an hour later he got better traction and busted out of there....

What do you do when there is no safe recovery points on the front?! Don't wanna be ripping people's bumpers off... :(

Red_Chili
02-03-2012, 01:56 PM
You do what you did.

RockRunner
02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
What do you do when there is no safe recovery points on the front?! Don't wanna be ripping people's bumpers off... :(

Nothing, there is to much risk of breaking something and then they are mad. I used to do it and if really needed will still do it. Difference is that I have the person hook it up to their own vehicle and check it afterwards, if it is solid I will try it. Before pulling them out I again tell them of possible damage and if they are OK/understand it. If not they stay stranded and I move on.

Overlander
02-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Nothing, there is to much risk of breaking something and then they are mad. I used to do it and if really needed will still do it. Difference is that I have the person hook it up to their own vehicle and check it afterwards, if it is solid I will try it. Before pulling them out I again tell them of possible damage and if they are OK/understand it. If not they stay stranded and I move on.

Sounds very reasonable to me - thx

corsair23
02-03-2012, 02:20 PM
What about those hooks or whatever you call them that you can insert into holes in the frame?

Not something most of us have, just curious if that would work assuming you could keep the chains or straps from hitting the bummper...

wesintl
02-03-2012, 02:30 PM
i still love this video...

Q1qJ5IT72Aw

Inukshuk
02-03-2012, 04:33 PM
as they pull him deeper (as his friend noticed 1/2 way through)

Don't Try that at home.

Snowrun
02-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Has anyone been dispatched yet?

wesintl
02-03-2012, 06:24 PM
no :(

wesintl
02-04-2012, 08:07 AM
I think i'm pretty much done with FEAT. If they don't call when there is this much snow they probably won't need my help when there is 12"

Caribou Sandstorm
02-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Just my uneducated opinion, but I thought i heard someone say once that the FEAT organizer was a jeep guy.

I wonder if he then is naturally tapped into the Jeep groups for first responders.. I am just guessing.

Anyway, I called my connections at the hospitals and they were ok for this storm. I can still work on getting on their call list. I am developing a stronger relationship with the HCA hospitals.

Inukshuk
02-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Just my uneducated opinion, but I thought i heard someone say once that the FEAT organizer was a jeep guy.

I wonder if he then is naturally tapped into the Jeep groups for first responders.. I am just guessing.

Anyway, I called my connections at the hospitals and they were ok for this storm. I can still work on getting on their call list. I am developing a stronger relationship with the HCA hospitals.

Chris,

Gene is a four-wheeling guy like the rest of us. All makes and models have participated in FEAT. I will PM you Gene's e-mail so you can ask him any questions you have. After the storm I will contact the head of Denver OEM, who I know, and ask him his current thoughts on FEAT utilization - I say current because last time we discussed it he lit up when I mentioned I was a FEAT volunteer. He was very enthusiastic about the program.

I have not called FEAT dispatch yet this storm because my truck electronics were still not all connected (radios, compressor, headlights properly, etc.), but I hooked all that up last night :wrench: and will check in today. Checking in is not required but all volunteers should have, as I did, gotten the e-mail that states:

You are receiving this email because FEAT has been activated for this major storm starting at 6 AM Friday. The dispatchers will start calling drivers. If you are not contacted, feel free to call the dispatchers. For drivers to contact the FEAT dispatchers, call 720-xxx-xxxx. DO NOT GIVE THIS NUMBER TO ANYONE THAT IS NOT A FEAT DRIVER/VOLUNTEER. Eligible emergency service personnel are to call the OEM at 720-xxx-xxxx.

:thumb:

Jacket
02-04-2012, 08:38 AM
For all the snow we got, the roads weren't really that bad. It warmed up to about 32*, and so more water and slush than ice and snow. It may have been a bit different last night though.

If you multiply the enthusiasm of this club times about 10 more clubs around town, they probably have more volunteers than they know what to do with.

Seldom Seen
02-04-2012, 02:48 PM

I worked for HCA for many years, I've put my tire chains on, locked in the hubs and hit the road during the last 5 blizzards. I probably have picked up well over 100 people to date.

While working the blizzards I was making as much as double time and a half plus gas, food and mileage. The biggest perk was a huge gold star on my annual eval. I would have been a bit torqued if someone was called in that would do it for free and I will not take the opportunity, to earn a few extra bucks, away from someone else. I will help if they are overwhelmed and request my assistance (at winch point the company I work for now will compensate me).

subzali
02-04-2012, 09:42 PM
I think the plows were on top of it better than some times in the past. The roads were the worst I thought Friday morning but they were still driveable by passenger cars. We got just about 12" here in Centennial but it was over a long period of time. The last time I got called by FEAT was a couple years ago and the roads were pretty dangerous because it snowed and then froze and then got dark, which made for pretty nasty conditions. This time it snowed, then it was day and snowed more, while the plows stayed on top of it, and then only snowed a few more inches overnight. :shrug:

I'm not mad at FEAT or feel like it's a waste of time, I just think it depends on a variety of factors.

Inukshuk
02-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Anyone get a call? Not me.

subzali
02-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Nope. I don't even think Gene sent me an email or an info packet this year. I should email him

Snowrun
02-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Nope. I don't even think Gene sent me an email or an info packet this year. I should email him

I got an email from Gene back in November saying the following:
The Denver Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security is now requiring a CBI background check on all FEAT volunteers.

Accordingly, I've had to revise the FEAT application and EVERYONE will have to submit a new application.

Please go to www.ColoradoFEAT.org and use the Denver application.

I'll need everyone that wants to remain a FEAT volunteer to complete the new application by 31 December.

I'm also looking for several volunteers to be FEAT Dispatchers. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks for your prompt action.

I signed up again, but haven't heard anything from him recently.

nakman
03-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Did everyone else get an email from Gene today?

Hi All:
Mother Nature is against us, it seems, not giving us enough snow to go out and play.
Of course, the Emergency Management people and all the city's emergency managers are
happy.

The forecast for this weekend is for about a foot of snow in the Denver area. DON'T
PLAN ON FEAT BEING ALERTED FOR 2 REASONS!!!

1. THE FORECAST IS FOR THE TOTAL SNOWFALL TO BE OVER A LONG TIME PERIOD @ 12-14 HOURS MEANING THE SNOWPLOWS CAN STAY ON TOP OF THE SNOWFALL. FOR THIS REASON I DON'T EXPECT THE EOC TO GO ACTIVE WITH FEAT. NORMALLY IF THE SNOWFALL FORECAST IS FOR AN INCH OR MORE OF SNOW PER HOUR, WE CAN LOOK FORWARD TO BEING ACTIVATED.

2. THE SNOWFALL IS ON A WEEKEND AND TYPICALLY WE ARE NOT ACTIVATED ON WEEKENDS UNLESS THE STORM STARTS ON A THUR OR FRI AND DRAGS ON INTO THE WEEKEND. NORMAL PERSONNEL ARE NOT WORKING THE WEEKENDS.

Another reason (my opinion) is the $$ it takes to open and run the Emergency Operations Center (OEC). All EM personnel go on 12 hour shifts. I may get some isolated ride requests this weekend and will call FEAT members living closest to that area.
Keep up hope though, we still have snowy April and May to get through.

Gene W King
FEAT Chairman

PS If you have NOT yet completed a new FEAT application in the past few months, please do so by going to www.ColoradoFEAT.org

I would urge anyone interested in being a FEAT volunteer to go spend 3 minutes on this page http://www.hightrails.org/index.php/menu-projects-programs/menu-feat/menu-feat-overview and complete a new application, that way they have your most current info on file.

Jacket
03-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Yes indeed

RockRunner
03-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Amazing 2 more years left on a top secret clearance and I still have to file out a CBI form, whatever!.

Inukshuk
09-13-2013, 08:57 PM
I just e-mailed Gene to see if we can do something for the floods

baja1d
09-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Signed up

baja1d
11-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Today reminded me of this thread

imhighlander
11-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Application submitted. Hoping for a good winter.