PDA

View Full Version : Unanticipated cost of Yankee Doodle Lake project

Red_Chili
12-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Shovelled out the driveway, ready to fire up the Chili...

DEAD.

TWO Optima Yellowtops. Can't crank the motor. Only been sitting for a couple weeks. Not that old. Isolated by a solenoid, so that ain't it.

Note to Yellowtop owners everywhere: do NOT weld shackles on a winch point near Yankee Doodle Lake with your yellowtops. They cannot take it. After I welded with them, I noticed the motor cranked over noticeably slower, and never got better. I hoped it wasn't a big deal...

So now I get to replace two.:rant:

Oh, well, it was for a good cause!:thumb:
:cheers:

treerootCO
12-21-2006, 04:32 PM
I'll chip in $50.00 for you toward the cost of the new batteries. God knows you deserve it for all you do.

Red_Chili
12-21-2006, 05:02 PM
I'd feel guilty taking it from ya, Mike! I don't do half what you do.

Nick F.
12-21-2006, 05:16 PM
You sure they're dead? Put a charger on them?

Red_Chili
12-21-2006, 07:03 PM
They work ok if I do put a charger on them, but won't hold a charge too well. In fact the truck started after 30 minutes on the charger. But every time I cranked it it was slower. I noticed that since the project at Yankee Doodle, but since the truck never sat... they cranked, albeit slowly. I think I fried the lead fabric grid a little. Oops.

It's on the charger now, 6A, charging both batts in parallel. We'll see in the mornin'. But deep cycle batts shouldn't care. These seem to care.

Note to self, replacing stolen D-rings is cheaper than replacing Optimas cuz I used them to weld the D-ring.

Won't chance CM07 with possible flat batts. :eek: :rip:

Didn't I hear that Coolio have that issue too? Optimas + welding = :flop:

It's said we learn to be wise by doing stupid things.
What a stupid system.

ScaldedDog
12-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey Bill, what batteries are you going to try next? I'm about done with Optimas, myself.

BTW, you need to do a write-up on your dual battery setup. If you don't document it on the web, how am I supposed to copy it? :bowdown:

Mark

Nick F.
12-21-2006, 07:51 PM
It's said we learn to be wise by doing stupid things.

AHH, Well, aproaching enlightenment here then..

leiniesred
12-21-2006, 08:08 PM
I finished with optimas without welding on them. Couple years, 1 good leave the lights on and they won't take a charge. I switched back to my favorite. "just get the biggest lead-acid bat-rey that fits."

I was getting 2 years out of the optimas. This big yellow lead-acid one must have 6 years on it.

The 63 Austin Healey sits in a truck trailer all winter in Michigan. (No mice in the trailer, but they are in the barn.) It had a lead-acid that surely froze solid every winter for 10 years, yet it still could crank up a big I-6 through a 10 foot battery cable come summer. That bat-rey was called,"The Bruiser," according to the sticker on it. When I bought it, I went up to the counter, told the parts kid I needed a bat-rey and he fires up the computer. (I cringe. The computer was notorious for telling me that the 63 Healey didn't have things like batteries, radiator hoses, brake shoes, etc.) "What kinda car?" The kid asks. I reply after thinking quickly. "Uh, Cad-a-lac. Big sucker. 1973. power EVERYTHING."
The kid returns 10 minutes later with "The Bruiser" bat-rey. He is unable to lift it onto the counter. I said, "YUP! That's it!"

Cheeseman
12-21-2006, 10:05 PM
I had an extra yellow top not being used so I put in it our Honda cuz it needed one. After not to long the ol' check engine light came on. A year or so I think. Turns out after two new alternators it was the yellow top all along. Wouldn't take a charge. So now it has the ol' basic lead acid battery in it. Now on the other hand the red top that is currently in my 62, cuz my runner is not back on the road yet, was purchased before the very first Cruise Moab and is running quite strong. That's ten years if my math is right.
________
Threesome Bikini (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1060/bikini/videos/1)

Hulk
12-22-2006, 08:37 AM
I've got a yellow top blem in my 40 and it's been going strong for 4-5 years now.

Red_Chili
12-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey Bill, what batteries are you going to try next? I'm about done with Optimas, myself.

BTW, you need to do a write-up on your dual battery setup. If you don't document it on the web, how am I supposed to copy it? :bowdown:

Mark
If I do a write-up, you won't come over, you'll just browse-N-steal!:lmao: So what are you running instead of Optimas? Exides?

Actually, I am on the hook to write an article on a Mobi-Arc isolater to replace my solenoid. So it will happen. When my tuitts aren't square.

If I selected something other than a pair of Optimas, I'd have to have something that would lay on its side and be about the same size. Else, I'd have to rework my homemade battery carrier and I'm lazy.

They were fine before the zapper action.

Uncle Ben
12-22-2006, 09:31 AM
I'll chip in $50.00 for you toward the cost of the new batteries. God knows you deserve it for all you do.

I'll match Treeroot! That should at least cover one of them. I consider it a very small price to pay for the countless meetings RC has sat through in Boulder polishing our club name! It would be my honor! :thumb: :bowdown:

Nick F.
12-22-2006, 10:00 AM
I'll match Treeroot! That should at least cover one of them. I consider it a very small price to pay for the countless meetings RC has sat through in Boulder polishing our club name! It would be my honor! :thumb: :bowdown:

I don't know if I would want to be on the board as a club polisher:eek: :D

Romer
12-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I'll even chip in

Crash
12-22-2006, 11:02 AM
My four year old Yellow Top that has been drained but never allowed to go completely flat is showing signs of not holding a charge this season. Same with the Red Top in the Jag that doesn't get run often enough this time of year and it's only two years old. Anyone had any experience with the Orbital dry cells?

ScaldedDog
12-22-2006, 11:25 AM
If I do a write-up, you won't come over, you'll just browse-N-steal!:lmao: So what are you running instead of Optimas? Exides?

Actually, I am on the hook to write an article on a Mobi-Arc isolater to replace my solenoid. So it will happen. When my tuitts aren't square.

If I selected something other than a pair of Optimas, I'd have to have something that would lay on its side and be about the same size. Else, I'd have to rework my homemade battery carrier and I'm lazy.

They were fine before the zapper action.

Well, yeah!!:D

I'd consider these (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/BlackPanther.shtml), but don't know anything about them other than what Roger wrote.

I'm still running a red top, but have drained it a few times. It seems like once these things get run down, they are never the same and never hold a charge as well.

Mark

Romer
12-22-2006, 12:14 PM
I have an Orbital and a Yellow top in my dual battery setup. The Orbital was my primary battery for a year and that's also what I put in Rachels truck. For the last year, it has been my backup battery as everything is hooked to my main and that requires the Yellow top deep cycle.

Bighead
12-22-2006, 12:43 PM
I have also had issues with my Red Top not holding a charge that well after being sucked down. I just bought an Odyssey PC1700MJT (http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1700mjt.htm) for my 99 LC. They are a little spendy but I have yet to see or hear of a bad review.

Red_Chili
12-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Hmmm... You fellers are a way better crew than I deserve.
I called AutoZone and they said they have never had a bad Yellowtop returned to that store. Said I should just put it on a charger for a while. The reason I got Yellowtops was so that I could drain them, charge them, and should be good as new being deep cycle.

So in all fairness it is possible that since Yankee Doodle the dang things have just never been fully recharged. 'Tis possible. The stock 5VZ alternator isn't THAT powerful, maybe it didn't charge them back up fully while driving. I'll give it a go with the 6A charger for a while and see.

I got two years out of one, and three out of the other, so it could be worse. We'll see.

Ain't doin' no more batt welding though! Unless I'm in the middle of nowhere and something breaks I guess.

Beater
12-22-2006, 02:36 PM
recharges on deep cycles dooo take longer bill. They are meant to be fully drained, then FULLY charged. I have an 8 yr old yellow top prototype from the factory (sister in law used to work there) with about 5 years actual use. Works awesome still. It will take about 24 hours to charge that sucka though.

Uncle Ben
12-22-2006, 07:43 PM
I don't know if I would want to be on the board as a club polisher:eek: :D

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: OMG! Good catch! I would have never slipped that bad if I wasn't running on caffene and adenaline! :rolleyes: Although Bill could now be the officail "Club Polisher!" :lmao: Second thought, Bill has earned way too much respect for such a title so I guess the CP title can lie in waiting for someone much more worthy! :cheers:

Nick F.
12-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Second thought, Bill has earned way too much respect for such a title so I guess the CP title can lie in waiting for someone much more worthy! :cheers:

Perry isn't here to defend himself:hill: :eek:

RockRunner
12-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Does anybody know it Panther is still making batteries? I used to run a dual set up in my 91 4runner in the same space my origenal battery was. The were less than half the size of a normal battery and had between 550-650 CCA.

I have heard from other groups some real interesting stories about the Yellow Tops, they did not last or would drop CCA's fairly soon after purchase.

In my last GM truck I had a 1000 watt stereo with all the bells and whistles, should have used two batteries but used only one large Marine Batt. that I drained several times. I drained it so low that the CD playing would skip and or the amps would tunr off and on as the power cycled. Battery lasted 5 years and maybe longer, don't know I traded it in after that.

The other thing we have to remember is that most of us do not use the batteries in a normal fashion. We use winches, welders, power tolls and many lights. If I have a battery that last 4-5 years uncer those circumstances I am happy.

After 4 years I look at changing out my battery just because I don't want to take the chance. My last battery in the Tahoe was fine when I left work at night, next morning (summer) I got the ol click click click, battery was a dead soldier. Stock battery new in 2003 dead June 06.

Just my two cents

WhenI am ready for duals in my little Runner I will be going with some type of marine battery that hopefully is sealed or a RV battery I can fit in the space available.

Red_Chili
01-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Follow up: following Green Machine's charging advice, they now seem to be holding a charge. Guess I never recharged them fully after welding. :eek: :o At least, I HOPE that is the case. The stock 5VZ alternator just doesn't put out enough poop to quite do the job after a deep discharge, good to know.

My wallet thanks thee. Except for the owner of it, who now wants to upgrade the alternator...

Uncle Ben
06-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Follow up on Yellow Tops. I just had my first Optima crap out today! Was at Home Depot and my 80 wouldn't start. Acted like dead battery. I hit my second battery switch and it almost started but still had than dead battery rapid clicking sound. Whipped out the volt meter and batt showed 12.5 volts, right where it should be! Hit the ignition to start and batt voltage dropped to 4 volts. Check all connections and determined the batt was toast. Had the batt in back from a small tractor that I lent the Raffle truck. swapped out my main Yellow Top with the little group 24 and it started right up! Batt is only a little over 2 years old and I do have the receipt so a trip to Vato Zone in the morning should net me a new Yellow Top. Guess I'm not a Optima failure virgin anymore! :Princess: :rolleyes:

corsair23
06-09-2007, 01:40 AM
Guess I'm not a Optima failure virgin anymore! :Princess: :rolleyes:

Welcome to the club UB :hill:. I keep the receipt for my Red top Optima in the 40 in a very safe place because I know I am going to need it :o

11thcavdrt
06-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Bill;

so how is the chili doing since your unfortunate incident? Ive personally
had a red top optima in my tacoma for well over 4 yrs,never a problem! I
could porably cough up a few bucks for new batteries to help u out, let me
know and if the work day is still on, thxs.!:thumb:

Red_Chili
06-11-2007, 07:11 AM
Work day is still on.

The Yellow Tops seem to be working just fine, I left them on a charger for about two weeks (since I don't have a 10A charger). Thanks for the thought though!

Bobzooki
06-13-2007, 01:44 PM
The Gnewt EATS Optimas. I think she ate three or four at about 6 months each, before I put in a cheap-o brand-x and said goodbye for good to Optima. You won't see an Optima in my rig!!! :rant: